Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulling out of a parking garage extremely slowly being as careful as possible I scratch a part of the underside bumper. It’s not very visible but gets me extremely annoyed. Any way to fix it or how much would it cost to get fixed?

·
Registered
2018 Giulia QV
89 Posts
The bumper guard might be your best option if it covers the scrap. That is such a large area that I would think it would be tough to use regular touch up paint. Plus working with a metallic is more difficult than a non-metallic in my experience. I would think you would have to sand it down and then get a spray can of the blue base color and then use a clear coat. Have to know what you are doing. It wouldn't have to be perfect because of its location, but there is a lot involved in the process. I got a quote as low as $400 to do my hood by a body shop...which I didn't end up having done. But because of the complexity of the bumper's shape and fixing that area, I'm betting it will be more like $500 - $1000 to do the whole bumper. I doubt you will find a quality show that would just try to fix that area.

But back to your question, I got the Misano Blue factory touch up paint from the dealer and it matches pretty well. I also got a bottle from AutomotiveTouchup (www.automotivetouchup.com) and while a good match, it was not quite as good as the factory. You can get a spray can from AutomotiveTouchup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bumper guard might be your best option if it covers the scrap. That is such a large area that I would think it would be tough to use regular touch up paint. Plus working with a metallic is more difficult than a non-metallic in my experience. I would think you would have to sand it down and then get a spray can of the blue base color and then use a clear coat. Have to know what you are doing. It wouldn't have to be perfect because of its location, but there is a lot involved in the process. I got a quote as low as $400 to do my hood by a body shop...which I didn't end up having done. But because of the complexity of the bumper's shape and fixing that area, I'm betting it will be more like $500 - $1000 to do the whole bumper. I doubt you will find a quality show that would just try to fix that area.

But back to your question, I got the Misano Blue factory touch up paint from the dealer and it matches pretty well. I also got a bottle from AutomotiveTouchup (www.automotivetouchup.com) and while a good match, it was not quite as good as the factory. You can get a spray can from AutomotiveTouchup.
They sell you touch up paint from the factory? How much was it?

·
Registered
2021 Ti Sport AWD Verde Visconti
86 Posts
Dr. Colorchip is a great touch up paint. Have used it for years.

Reactions: -ds-

·
Registered
81 Posts
I got my Giulia used, with a dodgy paint job on both bumpers. Went to a body shop recommended by the dealer, the quote was about 2k to have a bumper taken off, resprayed and mounted back on. Apparently there's some sensor re-calibration that would need to happen for the front as part of the process.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That section of the bumper is so low at many angles, it will happen a lot. Either need some type of bumper protection that will make it even lower or a clear shield of some type, or just have to learn to accept it. That area really isn't that noticeable.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Milano Blue Q2 w/PP
30 Posts
If it is as common as you say is it even worth doing the touch up paint?
I bought my Misano Blue Giulia used. Several very minor scratches in different areas but you kind of had to know they were there. Big reason I buy used, save on the depreciation and you also won’t notice as much if you get an additional small scratch somewhere. But I agree, it will happen again. You’ll eventually get used to it. Generally, no one outside your house will know it’s there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nice man, how many kits did you need? Were they hard to install?
I think I used 8 - 9 to cover the entire front section of the bumper. Not hard, it just takes time if you want it to look right and last for awhile. Definitely recommend using adhesion promoter on the surface before applying the kit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same thing happened to me after a few weeks of ownership. The car had 700 miles on it when it happened. Because it was so new I decided to take the hit and file a claim through insurance to have the bumper repainted. After that I had the shop install the sliplo scrape protection. Its a good investment and relatively cheap for what it does.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts