Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Doesn't need much change mechanically. What they have can basically reach it with software upgrades. Redesign the intake and exhaust, and upgrade the software. I have Eurocompulsion's V2 intake and their tune, and I'm probably sitting at about 340 hp. If I added the upgraded exhaust, I'd be at 350. With the factory's ability to design and tune a complete system, intake and exhaust to specifically take advantage of software upgrades, I can see them easily being able to achieve 350 and market that as a 'new' model or feature.

I can tell you, this car with 340 hp is a pure pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
371 Posts
In 2 years, it will need to be more than 350hp... they'll need to come to the table with that mid-spec engine that is somewhere around 375hp, because everyone else will have 350hp(ish) options on class competitors.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
653 Posts
Where??

The 350 hp Giulia has been confirmed and its coming and it will include a new 42 volt system.
Where have you seen this confirmed? If that is reliable, I may allow myself to start getting excited since my lease will be up in May 2020 - about 6 or 8 months after those 350 hp Giulias start hitting our shores if they introduce the model in summer of 2019.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,907 Posts
Where have you seen this confirmed? If that is reliable, I may allow myself to start getting excited since my lease will be up in May 2020 - about 6 or 8 months after those 350 hp Giulias start hitting our shores if they introduce the model in summer of 2019.
I don't know where that figure is confirmed, but the official 5 year plan released several weeks ago indicated that all Alfa models would be "electrified," which seemed to be a reference to one of three electric power systems: hybrid, e-booster, and plug-in hybrid.

With two new SUVs on the way, the new GTV and 8C (the latter confirmed to have an electrified front axle) and MiTo in need of an all new overhaul, I'm guessing the e-boost technology will be fitted to Giulia, and per the 5yr plan presentation, will bring increased (up to 25%) power with it. If, indeed, it is 25% more peak horsepower, then 350hp it is.

http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA11573561.PDF

·
Registered
839 Posts
The actual patent is purely for a method to control an electrically operated turbocharger in a supercharged forced-induction engine. It actually has nothing to do with the number of cylinders.

Autoguide started the 4 cylinder claim because of a 2-dimensional drawing that shows 4 cylinders. For all we know the 4 cylinders could represent one side of a V8.

Reactions: mc3456

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would love a two-door Giulia with an engine churning out 350-375 bhp. And a six-speed manual but that's wishful thinking.

Then again as others have done I'm sure I can tune the current engine I have to crank out 300+.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would love a two-door Giulia with an engine churning out 350-375 bhp. And a six-speed manual but that's wishful thinking.

Then again as others have done I'm sure I can tune the current engine I have to crank out 300+.
You can for sure! I added the Phase1 EC tune and the Corsa Exhaust. I really don't think I'd want anymore power. It's very quick. I suspect it's putting out about 350 HP at the flywheel. The EC tune alone made the biggest difference.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport
77 Posts
Love the 2018 Ti Sport and the large paddle shifters are totally awesome, but it would really be nice to have a manual transmission option. In my mind that would make a great drive even greater.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,907 Posts
I definitely want more power, and would be happy to have way more power than 350hp. I’ve driven the GQ, and 505hp suits me just fine.

I’d also prefer to get more power from the factory rather than through aftermarket tunes, particularly where cool tech like e-boost comes with it. I like having the peace of mind that comes with a smartly engineered, stock motor in a new car. Not that I worry about tunes necessarily— I run Madness MaxPower— it’s just that if I had my ‘druthers...

By the same token, I’d like more power from a bigger motor with more cylinders...all else being equal. If a de-tuned QV motor were in the cards, that’d be a sweet play, I think, but if a MY20 Giulia sports 350hp by any means, I’ll be delighted I opted for a two year lease and be ready to trade up come Jan 2020!

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
MacGeek, last year said the a new engine is in development and it will be a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engine and rated at 350 hp. In my opinion, the new engine will probably include e-boost because the new engine will very likely require a new 42-volt system.

Previous Post on this subject....

https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/337-car-lounge/20921-368hp-new-wrangler-2-0t.html

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
653 Posts
In my dreams

MacGeek, last year said the a new engine is in development and it will be a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engine and rated at 350 hp. In my opinion, the new engine will probably include e-boost because the new engine will very likely require a new 42-volt system.
All very exciting stuff. I especially like the fact that, in addition to the added HP, the Powerpoint deck describing all of these plans specifically notes "zero turbo lag" - my biggest complaint about the current engine (see the link attached by @chaadster at page 35 http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA11573561.PDF )

But it seems like a huge task to have this new e-boost engine available by 2020. I bet 2022 is a more realistic time frame.:frown2:

·
Registered
203 Posts
They better because the competition is really stepping up their game.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Ti Sport but have been helping a buddy start shopping for his new ride and between the new tech out there and range of power options, it's getting harder to justify mine over others.

Now give me a 350hp coupe and I'll sign tomorrow.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Pulling this out of the archives; is this going to still be a thing? Or was it all unfounded? Would love to see a 350 hp Ti!
Has to be still be a thing because Alfa needs to remain competitive. Competition is always nipping at the heels.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,775 Posts
I am very curious to know what 2020 will bring. The lease on my 2017 will pass the two-year mark in about a month, after which I wouldn't be surprised to receive an early termination/replacement offer. While a 2019 would certainly satisfy me, worthy improvements on a 2020 would be worth the wait.

·
Registered
597 Posts
With how much the TI carbons cost... if I'm paying over 50k for a car, it's not going to have a 4 cylinder thats for dang sure

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.