Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, GF’s resident Alfa insider, @MacGeek, dropped this gem in a thread called “The Alfa Inventory”:

There will be complaints about one of the changes. That's all I'm going to say at this time...

Anyone know, or care to speculate on, what MacGeek is referring to, or what other MY19 changes are coming?

There was discussion about the infotainment system and UConnect in that thread, and MacGeek did chime back in to say that touchscreen will be coming sometime after MY19, and that it won’t be UConnect, so maybe if we guess this unlikeable MY19 change correctly, MacGeek will confirm it for us.

I’m super curious; what about Giulia is widely loved and why would Alfa change it? They wouldn’t dare “disco” their iconic circular hole wheel design element, would they?

What do you think it will be?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,808 Posts
Or, as was stated (I forget by whom), maybe 2019s are getting something we all wish our cars had.

·
Registered
383 Posts
maybe they will get rid of the button for auto stop/start and then there will be no way to defeat that nightmare :)
While I don't have extensive experience with start/stop in a Giulia (Mine's coming soon), I have experienced it in a 2018 Jeep Compass and in my experience, it's not all too bad to deal with. Some clever pedal management and watching street lights has prevented me from delaying getting going from a stop. :)

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maybe they will get rid of the button for auto stop/start and then there will be no way to defeat that nightmare :)
Man, seriously...if that were to be the case, I can honestly say I don't know whether I'd buy a Giulia again. Right now, as things are, I'm looking forward to getting another, but if the S/S can't be disabled even on a trip basis, I don't think I could suffer that. The motor restarting just grates on me in the worst way.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,808 Posts
Shhh! Don't give any ideas.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Man, seriously...if that were to be the case, I can honestly say I don't know whether I'd buy a Giulia again. Right now, as things are, I'm looking forward to getting another, but if the S/S can't be disabled even on a trip basis, I don't think I could suffer that. The motor restarting just grates on me in the worst way.
Quote for truth!

·
Registered
582 Posts
If it's something to make the car even better that we wish we have, it could be one of these:

- A new 350hp model
- Manual transmission
- Stop/start permanent disable button
- Option to disable driver's seat auto slide-back
- Free maintenance during warranty

My bet is on that last one, because it's literally the easiest thing to do. Nothing needs to change on the car itself. While the first 4 possibilities are more wish list than deal breaker, I can see the last one really getting current owners riled up.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Is non-defeatable Start/stop going to be a mandate on all cars? I can see if all Guilia’s have the disable button removed there will be a huge demand for 3rd party solutions to disable it so it might end up not so bad...

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is non-defeatable Start/stop going to be a mandate on all cars? I can see if all Guilia’s have the disable button removed there will be a huge demand for 3rd party solutions to disable it so it might end up not so bad...
I don't believe it's even mandated in EU. Very, very hard to believe, under the current US presidency, that we'd take the lead on anything environmentally progressive.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cruel!

C'mon, I need to start planning now to save the cost delta on an early lease termination and trade-in if this MY19 change is something is something desireable...

How about that: can you tell us if the change is make current owners envious, or rather something that prospective owners may dislike? That doesn't give anything away, right?

>:)

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I didn’t take it as so much political as what the current situation is. The EPA falls under the executive branch and as such has wide lattitude to make regulations outside of congress. The current admin might push off fuel economy standards and roll back regulations but things like start/stop might fall through the cracks. That said the EPA does overreach quite a bit, like declaring CO2 a pollutant and trying to grab regulatory control of every little small water body and pond across the land; things you could debate they should control or should not but congress, actual elected officials, should determine the legal status of such things. Bureaucracies have a life of their own and need to justify their existence and expand their power...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
a quarter on AWD.
AWD on the QV? I guess technically there is nothing stopping them right? It’s already all in the Stelvio quad...
Purists may not like that but it would make QV scary fast....even with 100 pounds more it would knock quite some seconds of Nuerburgring record again...and with AWD launch could be recalibrated, I am sure it could do close to 3.4-5 to 60, that would be supercar territory

1 - 20 of 418 Posts