Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new here and I am about to pull the trigger on buying a Giulia in the next few days. My options are a 2019 Ti Q2 ($30k 25k mi) and a 2018 Ti Q4 ($27k 32k mi). Both cars look great, although the 18 has those nice black multi-circle looking rims and a nice red interior.

The issue I'm having is the difference between the AWD and RWD in performance stock and tuned. Mainly I'm focusing on the 0-60 performance, not anything special like track times. I know that the AWD has a faster claimed 0-60 than the RWD has, so I'm pretty sure that answers the stock question. What I'm really stuck on is the tuning potential. I don't really want to pass Stage 2 if possible. 0-60 in 4.5-4.7 is all I really need to be content, and from what I've seen that is very manageable Stage 2 and below(then again, any numbers I've seen in that range are from Draggys so idk how accurate that really is). What I CAN'T find, is whether or not the AWD has better tuning potential than the RWD.

I live in a desert, so the need for AWD for traction in weather isn't there (although it would give me peace of mind haha). That said, from what I've read, the RWD throws in traction errors more than the AWD will, which would hinder performance (maybe?).

TL;DR

If you wanted to tune a Ti Giulia to get a sub 5 second 0-60 without going overboard on the mods, would you start with a Q2 or a Q4 to achieve the best results?

Ps, based purely on the trim level and mileage I provided, am I getting a good price on either car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So people do by cars based of 0-60 times. Interesting. Go with the Q2 in dry climate. Weight reduction and since you don’t go more than 60mph the turns won’t matter.
The 0-60 time does play a part, I don't necessarily want a slow car haha. But I've loved the Giulia for a long time and now I'm actually getting one. Just wanna make sure I'm getting the right one.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
867 Posts
Would need to know the options before knowing if it's a good deal. These cars have $14k worth of options , so that does make a difference .

Sunroof
Leather dash
hK premium sound
Adaptive suspension/performance pack
Paint colors
Front driving sensors
Sport or no sport
Seats
Carbon package
Wheel packages

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would need to know the options before knowing if it's a good deal. These cars have $14k worth of options , so that does make a difference .

Sunroof
Leather dash
hK premium sound
Adaptive suspension/performance pack
Paint colors
Front driving sensors
Sport or no sport
Seats
Carbon package
Wheel packages
2019 Ti Q2 Sticker:

2018 Ti Q4 Sticker:

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
867 Posts
So it's also sunroof vs no sunroof and sports seats and paddles vs standard seats and no paddles. 18 vs 19" wheels.

Otherwise these are prettymuch base models.

My very loaded 2018 Q4 ti sport had a list of 53k and a buyout of 21k and they'll probably try and sell it for 29 or 30k though I plan on buying it out.

Prices seem a little high but prices these days are pretty over the top .

Are the CPO?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it's also sunroof vs no sunroof and sports seats and paddles vs standard seats and no paddles. 18 vs 19" wheels.

My very loaded 2018 Q4 ti sport had a list of 53k and a buyout of 21k and they'll probably try and sell it for 29 or 30k though I plan on buying it out.

Are the CPO?
Yeah, I remember a year ago I was looking at Giulia's and there were plenty of options as low as $19k. Shoulda gotten one then :/

Also, yes I believe they are both certified pre owned. The Carfax shows no bad history with a decent service record on both. I'd try to get something like 10% off the price of either one if possible. At the Ford dealership I work at (only as a media guy), from what I see 10% off isn't uncommon for used vehicles.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
867 Posts
Cpo is worth a couple thousand plus a year of warranty so that's good

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cpo is worth a couple thousand plus a year of warranty so that's good
Yeah, the 2018 looks nicer of the two, is cheaper, and is AWD (which I'm assuming will be the better of the two in performance, stock or tuned), but it has less time on the warranty and higher milage than the 2019. Not sure which of the two is the more desirable vehicle haha

·
Registered
2018 Giulia TI Sport Q2
275 Posts
The 2019 is not a Q2. It lacks the LSD and adaptive suspension package.

·
Registered
'20 Ti-Sport Carbon Q4 Rosso Comp
688 Posts

Are the CPO?
both cars have 19" rwd has staggered y-spoke wheels, vs awd has 19" 5-hole sq setup.

to op, i'd go with awd from 2 if they are only option i have.
but like @JimV said, these are pretty much basic cars without much options.
neither cars have lsd/performance pkg
i also can't stand regular seats in these cars. sports seats > lusso seats > base seats

Reactions: GottWhat

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Sport Q2
12 Posts
You may have already decided, but Q4 has a major grip advantage over a non-Q2 RWD with an open differential, and therefore it will have harder, faster launches that will only become more evident as you add torque with tuning. I was on track yesterday in my Q2 with two other giulias (well 3, but one was a quad!) and for a few laps the other RWD giulia was trailing me. He was the better driver but my Q2 gained an advantage out of every corner where he was struggling for grip.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q4
27 Posts
These cars had a such a wide variety of options available, each of which have varying levels of benefit to the overall driving and ownership experience. Of course, everyone will value these options differently, but for me some were simply non-negotiable. It had to have the Sport package for the cool wheels, sports seats and oversize shift paddles. I also had to have the Performance Package. Having owned two Audi S4s in the past, one with a sport diff and one without, I've learned that an LSD is an absolute MUST for a sport sedan. Finally, I was fed up with not having adaptive cruise control, so the Active Driver's Assistance Package was required. Beyond that, I wasn't too picky, especially not when it came to AWD vs RWD (I ended up with a Q4). The reality is they are both pretty quick off the line, and with a tune or piggyback ECU, the difference is even smaller (I have a JB4, which is great). Yes, the AWD is slightly heavier, but it has better grip, and in terms of driving dynamics it only brings the front wheels into play when needed. It feels like a RWD car nearly always.

I would suggest you choose what you absolutely must have in terms of spec, and then go find it - you may need to get it shipped. There are hundreds of cars available nationwide, so get the car you want (and IMO don't worry about whether it is RWD or AWD unless you live in a place with snow and ice).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello,

I am new here and I am about to pull the trigger on buying a Giulia in the next few days. My options are a 2019 Ti Q2 ($30k 25k mi) and a 2018 Ti Q4 ($27k 32k mi). Both cars look great, although the 18 has those nice black multi-circle looking rims and a nice red interior.

The issue I'm having is the difference between the AWD and RWD in performance stock and tuned. Mainly I'm focusing on the 0-60 performance, not anything special like track times. I know that the AWD has a faster claimed 0-60 than the RWD has, so I'm pretty sure that answers the stock question. What I'm really stuck on is the tuning potential. I don't really want to pass Stage 2 if possible. 0-60 in 4.5-4.7 is all I really need to be content, and from what I've seen that is very manageable Stage 2 and below(then again, any numbers I've seen in that range are from Draggys so idk how accurate that really is). What I CAN'T find, is whether or not the AWD has better tuning potential than the RWD.

I live in a desert, so the need for AWD for traction in weather isn't there (although it would give me peace of mind haha). That said, from what I've read, the RWD throws in traction errors more than the AWD will, which would hinder performance (maybe?).

TL;DR

If you wanted to tune a Ti Giulia to get a sub 5 second 0-60 without going overboard on the mods, would you start with a Q2 or a Q4 to achieve the best results?

Ps, based purely on the trim level and mileage I provided, am I getting a good price on either car?
I have a Q2. Get the Q2, which has a LSD. I've driven a Q4 as a loaner car and there is no comparison. Q2 is a bit lower to the ground than the standard rwd Giulia and quite a bit more than the Q4. If it has the adaptive suspension snap it up. And that's a pretty good price, depending on the options. I just bought my fully optioned 2017 Q2 ($55k) out of lease at $24,500.

Oh wait... I just realized it isn't a Q2, just a RWD. Get the AWD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lol.

My .02 for what it's worth ...I prefer all-wheel drive cars because I drive like an asshole and I need all the traction I can get ...even on dry roads
There isn't an AWD version of the Giulia available in the UK, but one of the things that attracted me the most to the Alfa Giulia was the fact it was a ground up engineered RWD platform with some interesting engineering choices.

I've had AWD cars and I find them intrinsically boring, because I enjoy sliding cars around like a wallop.

·
Premium Member
2,863 Posts
There isn't an AWD version of the Giulia available in the UK, but one of the things that attracted me the most to the Alfa Giulia was the fact it was a ground up engineered RWD platform with some interesting engineering choices.

I've had AWD cars and I find them intrinsically boring, because I enjoy sliding cars around like a wallop.
You can slide a Q4 , I've had mine sideways many times in slippery conditions..its plenty playful

·
Registered
39 Posts
Having driven both if you don’t need the AWD for winters get the Q2 with the LSD. If you can’t get the LSD then go with the Q4.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts