Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my first 48 hours with my new QV. I ordered in October 2015, so it's been a long 6 months of waiting following some 40 years of yearning for an Italian sports car. The was well worth the wait (both of them)...

First impressions:
-This car is a DELIGHT to drive. Incredibly nimble, responsive and agile. It's like an oversized go-kart
-The engine is a work of art. Ridiculously responsive and powerful. I assumed that "N" would be like my wife's old BMW 525. Way off! The 525 couldn't keep up with the car in "A".
-The DNA selector and options is genius. Got stuck in crappy Seattle traffic and swapped to "A" until it cleared. Dropped back into "D" when spirited driving was possible.
-Transmission is fantastic. I spent the last 7 years in a manual S5 and thought I would miss it. Nope. Not at all. The paddle shifting is very enjoyable and the paddles are very nicely sized and located.
-Exhaust Notes: Though my wife laughed at the gurgle between a highly revved 1st and 2nd in "D" mode, I think she thought it was cool as I do.

Let me address some common complaints I heard from other owners and test-drivers:
-Interior is cheap: Don't get that. It's a SLIGHT downgrade from the S5, but not really a detractor.
-Infotainment: The S5 was an '09, so it was outdated compared to current technology. However, I find the QV system intuitive, functional and more than acceptable
-Backup Camera Size: Really? Seems nitpicky. I'd rather have the sleek looking dash than a big screen for the back-up camera
-Steering: Don't know how anyone could complain about it. If you don't want responsive steering, get an Excursion.
-Brakes: Too touchy. Noticed it at first, but now that I've put 100 miles in the car, I didn't find it really difficult to adjust to. Certainly doesn't ruin the driving experience.

Looking forward to the next 100 miles.

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Nice color/wheel combo - just like mine ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
That's a great color combination, congratulations and enjoy!

You seem to have the right attitude towards some of the little things that IMHO have been overblown in the press.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Congrats. Glad it's finally here for you to enjoy.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Congrats! Ordered in October 2015 eh? That's quite the wait. I'm near Olympia with my black QV, maybe I'll see you around sometime. If I did, you'd be my first Giulia sighting ever. Have fun!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nice combo mate. Enjoy one of the greatest cars you could own!

Giulia Veloce. Stromboli Grey, Remus catback, red calipers, HK, black sports leather, sunroof. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
-Backup Camera Size: Really? Seems nitpicky. I'd rather have the sleek looking dash than a big screen for the back-up camera

Paul
Congrats on the car.

I have a question, how much of the screen does your reverse camera take up? I'm curious as to whether my display in not filling the area it should based on this. The image for mine does not fill the screen and is smaller than I think it should be.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Congrats on the car.

I have a question, how much of the screen does your reverse camera take up? I'm curious as to whether my display in not filling the area it should based on this. The image for mine does not fill the screen and is smaller than I think it should be.
It does not take up the whole screen. I want to say it is somewhere between 1/2 to 2/3rds of the screen at best. It seems like a waste with that big screen however it has never bugged me so not much of an issue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looks great, no pull the vacuum lines to the exhaust valves and it will sound good all the time, and unless i'm on the highway i always leave it in Dynamic mode.

Best of luck!!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Can’t say I was yearning for an Italian sports car for 40 years since my last one was a FIAT X19. Now it was used and I think beaten up before I got it and bought it from Mugsy Motors in Reno. Okay I was a kid. In any case that was long ago in a galaxy far away.

We just got ours last Tuesday. We have not driven her a lot. We are getting some detailing done and a ceramic coating and some other touch up work before pictures. My gripe is I am not a fan of Dark Tecnicos. My husband loves them. We will compromise someday and have the calipers powder coated yellow unless I fall in love. It is Rosso Comp Brembo Ceramic and Carbon Seats with he HK. Okay no cargo kit is the only thing it missed. It was a 2017 remaining so no Apple Car Play which is okay. I don’t use nav a lot and all my music is on an apple iPod Touch. But who cares about music when you can roll down the windows and enjoy the ride. Okay having done much of that but I can say nothing about the infotainment bothers me. I see fewer things to dust and thank god it is not a touch screen that someone can grease up with finger prints.

I like the interior and as far a modes go right now we are feeling pretty good coasting in A and N and popping it into to D with the paddles now and again but breaking her in. A is lots of power and not pokey by any stretch. I can’t compare the ride to any other car because we fell in agreement with he Alfa and we were pretty adamant on not wanting to follow the path of having the same car as our neighbors. Oh I got the A5 but they have the A7 oh my gosh. Nope. No one else has the Alfa but I will say she is sharper than the Tesla next door except that a hat came with the Telsla and they do provide a Tesla loaner.

We have a big 350 Truck and a small Mini so the QV fits somewhere there in left field. We are taking her for a mountain drive this weekend and my husband promised we would switch out so I can drive to. Let’s face it. Driving it is sooooo much better than being a passenger. I will get pictures once she gets her detailing done a couple fixes and ceramic done.

So far I agree with the first 48 hours poster. If she continues to drive like she does with small aches and pains that is what we have an 8 year warranty for with the 125k miles. The only thing that scares me a little is the ceramic brakes but that is hopefully many years and miles away.

What I do love is cross path detection and bi-xenon lights that light up directionallly when you turn at night. VERY COOL. I have no issues with the cross path detection being too sensitive. I haven’t noticed it being sensitive but it is going to save me. We have nothing but big cars and trucks to navigate out behind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Typo: 10/15/2017 was the order date. The Italians aren't that...ummm...paced in their production!

Hope to see you on I-5.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats on the car.

It's smaller than the "display" area, but still plenty big.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Nice review Seattle QV and great looking QV! Seattle? Oh yeah, I think that's the big city about 17 miles west of Issyquah.

I'm one old guy, like 18 years older than the Space Needle. I wear bi-focals. What's the complaint about the back-up camera? It take up 100% capacity of the viewable screen, the rest of the area is for info. Do some folks want a 32" High-Def screen? It is perfectly functional for my uses: see children and animals as I back up, watch for people and see what else might be behind me. Works just fine. Good grief, talking about getting nit-picky!

Eastside Chuck :smile2:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
8.8" screen:

6.5" screen:

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,838 Posts
Congratulations mate, nice review, i felt like i was riding in the passenger seat LoL

this is where your 6 weeks went, rumour has it that it takes 5 weeks to build one, and another 1 week for the assembly line to part with it LOL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts