Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Giulia Q4 purchased 2 years ago used, just reached 54,303k miles. Engine has to be replaced because of a known
defective part. The oil pump which is a known defective component grenaded sending metal shavings into my engine,
low oil pressure warning as I was pulling up to a stop light and it shuddered and died, never started again. I was stuck in
traffic for hours,400.00 tow to my home then a 200.00 tow to dealership. I find out a week later that the oil pump failed damaged my engine to the point it must be replaced. I am so disappointed that I am physically sick just thinking about it. alfa care says they will cover cost of labor but I have to cover parts i.e engine, over 2k labor vs 8k for a new engine, well why is the dealer marking up the price of the engine 2k. I searched on carid and a new engine is only 6k so it sounds like I am getting screwed. I don't even want the car anymore my confidence in this product is totally shot and the worst part is I still owe 23k on the car I will never drive it again. the company knows that many drivers are out there with a ticking time bomb in their engine and if your warranty has expired you are sol. The oil pump causes catostrophic engine damage and you are stuck dead in the water. shame on the company for disregarding my safety and value of my dollar by knowingly allowing a potential dangerous component to destroy my engine. I was in the Navy 20 yrs worked on weapons systems and if the fleet was aware of a component or piece of ordnance that could cause serious damage to equipment or personnel, a safety bulletine ,info notice, casrep something would imediately warn all installations and platforms to cease use until repair or replacement of potential hazard. I am going to park this car in my garage and never drive it again. My 2007 Mazda 6 that has 172k miles will be more reliable.

·
Registered
2019 QV Rosso Comp
1,236 Posts
I mean, it doesn't help OP, but there is a reason why I bought (and recommend to others) to get the extended warranty if you buy one used. It's cheap peace of mind. I think for my quad it was $2200 for MaxCare, and that will pay for itself if literally anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
2017 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
922 Posts
I mean, it doesn't help OP, but there is a reason why I bought (and recommend to others) to get the extended warranty if you buy one used. It's cheap peace of mind. I think for my quad it was $2200 for MaxCare, and that will pay for itself if literally anything goes wrong.
Yep same here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2018 Giulia Q4 purchased 2 years ago used, just reached 54,303k miles. Engine has to be replaced because of a known
defective part. The oil pump which is a known defective component grenaded sending metal shavings into my engine,
low oil pressure warning as I was pulling up to a stop light and it shuddered and died, never started again. I was stuck in
traffic for hours,400.00 tow to my home then a 200.00 tow to dealership. I find out a week later that the oil pump failed damaged my engine to the point it must be replaced. I am so disappointed that I am physically sick just thinking about it. alfa care says they will cover cost of labor but I have to cover parts i.e engine, over 2k labor vs 8k for a new engine, well why is the dealer marking up the price of the engine 2k. I searched on carid and a new engine is only 6k so it sounds like I am getting screwed. I don't even want the car anymore my confidence in this product is totally shot and the worst part is I still owe 23k on the car I will never drive it again. the company knows that many drivers are out there with a ticking time bomb in their engine and if your warranty has expired you are sol. The oil pump causes catostrophic engine damage and you are stuck dead in the water. shame on the company for disregarding my safety and value of my dollar by knowingly allowing a potential dangerous component to destroy my engine. I was in the Navy 20 yrs worked on weapons systems and if the fleet was aware of a component or piece of ordnance that could cause serious damage to equipment or personnel, a safety bulletine ,info notice, casrep something would imediately warn all installations and platforms to cease use until repair or replacement of potential hazard. I am going to park this car in my garage and never drive it again. My 2007 Mazda 6 that has 172k miles will be more reliable.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q2
179 Posts
I understand that what happens sucks, but it really isn’t that common of an issue. As far as the safety issue goes, it’s not like your brakes failed or your airbags were claymores.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
something about the oil pump or its components failing i.e coming apart or electronically failing i.e oil pump selinoid.
the new oil pump is more robust and the oil pump selinoid can be replaced without replacing the entire pump as before.
thing is they can identify which vehicles have the old style oil pump its just that old corporate attitude its cheaper to let your vehicle fail rather than recall all years models with that bad oil pump at least $4500 per car so they just wait rolling the dice that your car will make it to 50k and they are off the hook. when the oil pump comes apart it damages the chain, chain guides sprocket plus it sends metal shavings into your engine and causes damge.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand that what happens sucks, but it really isn’t that common of an issue. As far as the safety issue goes, it’s not like your brakes failed or your airbags were claymores.
when this car shuts down in the middle of the highway full of cars trucks and buses its dangerous you can't even put the car in neutral to be pushed off the road, you can easily be rear ended on the highway or busy street if someone isn't paying attention.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,903 Posts
Although there have been a couple of postings of oil pump failures, I would like to hear from the several Alfa Technicians who frequent the forums regarding:
1) How often does this happen?
2) Is there a new and improved part?
3) How difficult is it to swap out the oil pump in a Q4?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts