Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio and one week later I come into the garage to find a leak in front of the driver side wheel. The color of the liquid is blue so of course, makes sense it would be windshield wiper fluid.

The photos attached show the size of the leak, and where it is coming down the inner liner in front of the driver side front tire.

I don't live in a city with an Alfa dealer so I took the car to another FCA dealer to look at it, after being told to do so by Alfa tech support. They removed the tire, the liner, and looked for the leak but was unable to find it.

So this morning I get to phone Alfa again and arrange them to pick the car up, and flatbed it to the alfa dealer 4 hours away from me.

My guess.. something near the driver side headlight wiper fluid sprayer.

Frustrated that I spend this kind of money only to have an issue one week after buying it. I'm not bashing Alfa, I understand things happen.

The car is a beast, I love it, so hopefully an easy fix and it has years of no issues after this.

I'll keep ya updated!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Sucks but windshield washer plumbing always seems like an afterthought by many makers. All car leaks suck but if I had to choose the washer fluid is probably the one I’d take. When I saw your thread title I was like oh c%^& what oil seal let loose and how long is that going to take to fix on the QV engine lol..

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Omg

That just stinks. Hopefully with all the experts on this forum maybe someone has had a similar issue. They can't fix it for you but I know if someone knows something it can help ease the stress of the UNKNOWN. I have a 2017 and that sucker was sitting waiting for someone to take her and my worst nightmare was her sitting for so long out in the "elements." She was on a flatbed this weekend for a flat with 672 miles. It stinks that the Alfa Tech can't go out to your closer dealer FCA since they have a place to work. This sounds like a simple problem but apparently not since they could not see it.

Dumb question. Did they drain the fluid so it would not continue? You would think with a colored fluid it would be easy to trace it back to the source (loose hose?) but I have to think the FCA techs are not that inept.

Sorry for this. I would want that liner replaced to after they fix the root cause.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Also forgot to ask there seems to be a debate about if the the Giulia has a low washer fluid indicator light. Did your tank empty and did any indicator tell you?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yep, this is a known issue - At Naperville Italian Motorworks both Sean and Matt warned me about this happening as it's happened to a couple QV's while sitting in the Dealership. It's a known problem. I sympathize with you and can appreciate the hassle - I'd just take it into the dealer. Fingers crossed, I haven't had any issues but if I do, I'm pretty comfortable taking it in and having them adjust/fix whatever is needed.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Awe nuts. Hope it's an easy fix. And Minime, sucks to hear about your flat! And I was just making progress with my wheel! Here is a pic from one of the mighty forum members here, MacGeek et al. Be sure it is NOT coolant (wrong color but at extra radiator location)

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have had this from when the car was delivered new. Its a faulty headlight washer pump which dribbles fluid. Its behind the bumper and requires the bumper to be removed and a new part to be installed. Apparently they updated the design of the washer pumps I received but i think this was more to do with the headlight washer caps coming off. Its very possible the leak is actually due to a loose hose/clip and can be rectified in one go. Otherwise its a matter of waiting for the part. I waited 2 months for the new part (as the old part was superseded and the new part was not readily available in stock so was back ordered in Italy). To stop the dripping I ran the washer fluid down unit the warning light came on the dash. At this point there is still 750ml of fluid in the system so plenty to wash the window. the system cuts the circuit form the main reservoir to the headlight circuit when this light is on to conserve water - however you still have full use of the screen washers (I never understood why they bother with the headlight washers frankly in any case!). This meant not more dripping on the floor. mine wasnt quite as bad as yours however if i were you Id simply tell them to order a new LHS headlight washer pump and have it in stock before you send the car away - then do what I did so the water doesn't drip on your garage floor. Its a minor but annoying issue...

Reactions: lucky

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I bought a 2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio and one week later I come into the garage to find a leak in front of the driver side wheel. The color of the liquid is blue so of course, makes sense it would be windshield wiper fluid.

The photos attached show the size of the leak, and where it is coming down the inner liner in front of the driver side front tire.

I don't live in a city with an Alfa dealer so I took the car to another FCA dealer to look at it, after being told to do so by Alfa tech support. They removed the tire, the liner, and looked for the leak but was unable to find it.

So this morning I get to phone Alfa again and arrange them to pick the car up, and flatbed it to the alfa dealer 4 hours away from me.

My guess.. something near the driver side headlight wiper fluid sprayer.

Frustrated that I spend this kind of money only to have an issue one week after buying it. I'm not bashing Alfa, I understand things happen.

The car is a beast, I love it, so hopefully an easy fix and it has years of no issues after this.

I'll keep ya updated!
Wow...sorry to hear this..however...it could be worse....like M 5 Rod Bearings that crap out at 40000 miles or M 3 Sub Frame cracks that BMW won't warranty....Probably a bad bottle or a loose fitting or a crack in the hose....Hang in there...this is the best car out there for the money....Bar None....FORZA ALFA BABY

Reactions: mc3456 and peczenij

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well, my M5 leaked washer fluid from the same location - although that was after 160,000 miles....One has to laugh - It's always a 20 cent rubber washer, which needs to be bought as part of an $89. pump which requires 2 hours of labor to replace and then a refill of dealer-approved fluid at $5/oz....Enjoy your warranty!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,438 Posts
Shouldn't washer fluid be identifiable by its characteristic smell?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Awe nuts. Hope it's an easy fix. And Minime, sucks to hear about your flat! And I was just making progress with my wheel! Here is a pic from one of the mighty forum members here, MacGeek et al. Be sure it is NOT coolant (wrong color but at extra radiator location)
It was rather humorous. The truck came to pick her up, my neighbors of course see the QV on the flat bed all shiny, me getting in the truck and my husband waving goodbye. Then my neighbor asked my husband. What's up. He said just a flat. He laughed. We are getting the equipment to do the lift here ourselves so we can take the tire in but it may not always make it home. Fortunately no wheel damage and just got stung with Dealership charges for a tire. You don't want to go there for tires.

She is home and we checked the pressure on all fours. I think she is high but that is the way she left the dealership after repair.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
At or below 40 psi up front I wouldn't worry about. I'm even thinking higher than 34 psi rears because that sidewall is so thin!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts