Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I imported my 2018 Giulia QV with 16k miles from the USA to Europe a year ago, and lately the engine wasn’t smooth and it felt it rubbed on 150 or 200hp. I went to the mechanic and after checking and compression test he said the third cylinder had 120 bars, he did an endoscopy (pictures below) and told me there is a lot of scratches and need engine replacement. Two questions :
-1- for the experts, does what the mechanic says make sense ?
-2- do you think it worth approaching Alfa Romeo for a goodwill warranty since it’s abnormal to have an engine failure at 16k miles? Are they responsive to this ?
Thanks and regards
Font Rectangle Astronomical object Space Automotive lighting

Font Automotive design Gadget Automotive lighting Tints and shades

Cloud Font Astronomical object Gadget Rectangle

Astronomical object Font Cloud Sky Rectangle

Font Astronomical object Gas Rectangle Technology

Sky Automotive lighting Font Astronomical object Gas

Font Astronomical object Gas Automotive design Space

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
sorry about your predicament. My '18 QV at 32,000 miles runs like a champ. Just good oil changes and not running my motor until it is good and warm. I don't know if your pictures really mean anything, as it is common to "hone" cylinder walls to allow the piston rings to "wear in" properly. Usually done in a precise cross-hatch pattern. How does the cylinder wear in your pictures compare to what is in the other cylinders? Does your car have any new "codes' showing some sort of abnormality? Recent increase in oil consumption, change in exhaust or catalytic performance from increased oil "blow by?" I am not sure what you mean by "...down 100 to 200 horsepower". If you have low compression (and I don't know what the spec is for a QV) it would have to be a total failure of that cylinder to lose that much power. I have extensive experience with low compression cylinders in my 1952 army 6 cylinder army truck, and it runs fine with way low compression on multiple cylinders. So I don't see how a small reduction in your compression in on cylinder would even be noticeable if the rest were all good.

I think there is a lack of information here from your mechanic, Can you tell us more? If your car is really down that much power it must be shooting all sorts of warning codes. NAM VET

·
Premium Member
2019 Giulia QV
6 Posts
In your 4th picture, that 1/8" "line" of shiny metal does look like what happens when a piston rings breaks. With it being 16k miles and an 18 model year I'd imagine you may be in warranty, but at the tail end of it.

Having exported it from the US to Europe may make that a tricky situation between Alfa's warranty department and you though. It may be worth reading through the Warranty guide that Alfa has on the FCA/Stellantis owners website and see if it has any clauses about exported vehicles.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Hopefully, one of the provisions in italics applies to your situation.

H. If Your Vehicle Leaves The United States, We

Include US Possessions And Territories As Part

Of The United States For Warranty Purposes

EXCEPT WHERE SPECIFICALLY REQUIRED

BY LAW, THERE IS NO WARRANTY

COVERAGE ON THIS VEHICLE IF IT IS SOLD

IN OR REGISTERED IN COUNTRIES OTHER

THAN THE UNITED STATES.

This policy does not apply to a vehicle that has

received authorization for export from FCA US LLC.

Dealers may not give authorization for export. You

should consult an authorized dealer to determine a

vehicle's warranty coverage if you have any questions.

This policy does not apply to a vehicle registered to

US government officials or military personnel on

assignment outside of the United States.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi there,

I am also doing an engine replacement on my 2017 Giulia Quadrifoglio. 17k Miles.
I tried reaching out to Alfa Romeo's goodwill warranty however they told me I did not have a chance as one of the services that was done on the car was done by a third party dealer.
Not only that but because I had bought the car from a Third Party dealer (non approved alfa dealer) here in the UK they told me I would receive no help. Even though I sell Alfas for a living!

My Engines symptoms where different though, car seemed fine with a few minor issues after buying the car nothing engine related.
I drove the car for about a month too and from work which is about 20 miles a day.
Then on my way home from work I had an engine warning light pop up and a loud shaking and knocking sound coming from the engine. Thankfully I lived 2 miles away and managed to get the car back home.

I am now faced with an engine change, but I love these cars and will swallow the costs. New engines cost £27,000 here in the UK.
Still looking around for a cheeper one, Changing the engine is a huge job on these cars and will take months and cost thousands. You may be better off selling the car.

I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
2019 QV - Alfa Red
105 Posts
Hello everyone. I imported my 2018 Giulia QV with 16k miles from the USA to Europe a year ago, and lately the engine wasn’t smooth and it felt it rubbed on 150 or 200hp. I went to the mechanic and after checking and compression test he said the third cylinder had 120 bars, he did an endoscopy (pictures below) and told me there is a lot of scratches and need engine replacement. Two questions :
-1- for the experts, does what the mechanic says make sense ?
-2- do you think it worth approaching Alfa Romeo for a goodwill warranty since it’s abnormal to have an engine failure at 16k miles? Are they responsive to this ?
Thanks and regards View attachment 126834
View attachment 126832
View attachment 126836
View attachment 126833
View attachment 126835
View attachment 126837
View attachment 126838

Hey there.
This stinks.
Sorry to hear that you're having this issue.
My first QV was a 2018 I purchased new, followed the break in procedures and regular maintenance schedule.
I had my engine seize at around 17.5k miles.
It was due to cylinder scoring like yours, huge amount of metal was present in the oil when they pulled the engine.
Car was under warranty so AR replaced the engine and the second one ran like a top.
Never had any issues at all with it.
On my second QV now, a fully loaded '19 so obviously the engine experience didn't deter me from buying another QV.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I do periodic oil analysis on my oil, you might pull a ounce of oil and send for an analysis, cheap usually, and I am sure you can find one in your country. My engine reads fine with a recent oil sample. NV

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your replies. The car is currently in Berlin. There is no metals whatsoever in the oil, no smoke that you explain a piston ring failure. My only symptom is a very slow car , and when I say slow it feel like a 150 hp car. Never feel a turbo kick. Does a low compression cylinder give this symptom?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Half of your cylinders would have to be dead to cause that sort of weak performance. You have something that hopefully will be an easy fix once you scan your codes, which surely will point to the problem. Let us know, NV

·
Registered
321 Posts
The pictures posted are of poor quality. Several show normal cross hatching and the one that does show something out of the ordinary is so blurry as to make it impossible to know what we are looking at.

Even if your engine suffered from cylinder scoring, you should not be noticeably down on horsepower. Usually the first sign of scoring is excessive oil use and or smoking.

For reference, below is a picture of my Audi RS4 engine with deep gauges in the cylinder wall of the number four cylinder. The car still pulled like a freight train. However what tipped me off was a small backfire like noise coming from intake manifold area.

I think your issue lies elsewhere. I would bring it to another shop, preferably a dealer for a second opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can’t conclude anything from pics. Agree with other comments that oil burn should be present.

Your description sounds like you’re getting no boost. Have you monitored that when asking the car for hard acceleration? Seems like something else is up here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I drove it I felt no boost whatsoever. Absolutely No smoke. The engine is not running smooth. The Alfa garage might be trying to sell an engine or might be going the easy way to solve the problem. That’s why I was asking if low compression in on cylinder would make such an issue. Apparently not. I believe it will be wise to send the car to official Alfa for a diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
maybe for some reason, you are not getting any turbo boost, which may make your engine so underpowered. Boosted engines always have a lower compression than non supercharger or turbo engines. Sort of like you have a non-turbo 2.9 liter engine now. I suspect your problem won't be much trouble. Good luck... NV

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I drove it I felt no boost whatsoever. Absolutely No smoke. The engine is not running smooth. The Alfa garage might be trying to sell an engine or might be going the easy way to solve the problem. That’s why I was asking if low compression in on cylinder would make such an issue. Apparently not. I believe it will be wise to send the car to official Alfa for a diagnosis.
Gotcha.
There is a boost gauge in Performance Pages -> Technical Gauges that will show boost pressure. Hoping your issue is some sort of sensor or turbo problem versus engine innards. It does seem like sensors would throw a CEL, but cars be complicated…

1 - 20 of 21 Posts