Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago, not far from home, the low oil pressure light comes on. Trying to get my car into a smaller side street instead of a busy one the car just went into limp mode and the ETC light came on. I got it towed to the Alfa Romeo Dealership of Stevens Creek. Over a week goes by and now they are telling me they are not sure what the problem is. They tested all they could and everything seems fine but the engine just won't work. They are telling me they most likely might need to replace the entire engine and are waiting on Alfa Romeo to approve it. A brand new engine - 0 miles. Something that generally costs around $30k (?really?), but would be covered under warranty. They said they have done 4 other engine replacements in the past. A Stelvio currently sitting in their dealership has been waiting 3 weeks for a new engine. They have given me a loaner car, not a big deal. But I'm wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else, and what would be the most appropriate way to deal with such a situation.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Need more info. Year? Model? Miles? Original owner? "...engine just won't work." Does that mean it won't start? Is there compression? Fuel delivery? Ignition? What is the repair and maintenance history of this vehicle? Any mods, or all stock?

Reactions: Declan

·
Registered
2020 Giulia QV
135 Posts
Thankfully there is no out of pocket expense. If you're not happy with the prospect of being without the car for weeks/months to get the engine replaced, consider having it towed to a different Alfa Romeo dealership for a second opinion. You may end up with the same result, but will at least have verification that an engine replacement is required. I would call the other dealerships first to explain the situation and make sure it is something they would be willing to look at. From what was written, it seems like the current dealership is attempting to replace the entire engine only because they can't diagnose what the issue is.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thankfully there is no out of pocket expense. If you're not happy with the prospect of being without the car for weeks/months to get the engine replaced, consider having it towed to a different Alfa Romeo dealership for a second opinion. You may end up with the same result, but will at least have verification that an engine replacement is required. I would call the other dealerships first to explain the situation and make sure it is something they would be willing to look at. From what was written, it seems like the current dealership is attempting to replace the entire engine only because they can't diagnose what the issue is.

And possibly bill Alfa for more warranty work than is needed.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia QV
135 Posts
And possibly bill Alfa for more warranty work than is needed.
I try to give the dealership at least some benefit of the doubt that they're not outright crooked. Probably should know better. :p

It has been many, many years since I worked at a dealership. From what I remember, if they actually did the work, they'd be better off financially doing non-warranty work and routine maintenance than they would be doing a warrantied engine swap. Unless they billed to swap the engine and only replaced the oil pump or something like that. Which I'm sure does happen somewhere.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,617 Posts
Keep in mind that much of the cost of a new Q4 engine is labor. Much of the front of the car must be dismantled to get the engine free of the front driveline.

Even if the oil pump/solenoid is the root cause of the problem, perhaps it is advisable to replace the entire engine because the engine was run with low oil pressure?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Keep in mind that much of the cost of a new Q4 engine is labor. Much of the front of the car must be dismantled to get the engine free of the front driveline.

Even if the oil pump/solenoid is the root cause of the problem, perhaps it is advisable to replace the entire engine because the engine was run with low oil pressure?
Nope, engine goes in limp mode where only the low pressure supply mode is needed

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
We know little of what actually occurred, or what is needed, given the vague op.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I have a tapping noise in the front of my engine which I'm pretty sure is coming from the timing chain tensioner.... I took it to my local dealer to get diagnosed and after them having it for 7 days and not telling me anything I called to get an update and they told me it needed an engine.
I told them I would be down to pick up the car and not to do anything..... it's going to a different dealership this weekend to get diagnosed properly as I don't trust the first dealership as far as I can throw them and there is no way I would let them put an engine in my car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is a completely anonymous survey that I put together if you had to replace your engine with Alfa. After my issue, I am curious to see how many of us had to deal with this nonsense. Please take 40 seconds and take a look at this survey. This survey only applies for those that had to replace an engine.

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
705 Posts
Have heard good things about Performance from a local Stelvio owner. I use Fullerton because they're only 10 minutes from me, and have treated me well with my 2018 and now my '20.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had same issue on my 18 q4 at 36k couple weeks ago. Oil pump sprocket came apart . Dealer just replaced the pump and gave it back. Cars driving fine again but I’m clueless on bearing health .

·
Registered
114 Posts
I try to give the dealership at least some benefit of the doubt that they're not outright crooked. Probably should know better. :p

It has been many, many years since I worked at a dealership. From what I remember, if they actually did the work, they'd be better off financially doing non-warranty work and routine maintenance than they would be doing a warrantied engine swap. Unless they billed to swap the engine and only replaced the oil pump or something like that. Which I'm sure does happen somewhere.
Yeah, I worked at a dealer as a kid back in the 80's and 90's and from what I recall, the service people claimed warranty work did not pay very well and was kind of break even. I only suggest that it is possible some dealers are so hard up to stay afloat they just need some revenue to pay the bills and not lay off mechanics. Low supply and fairly slow sales the last few years for Alfa can't be generating a ton of business through the service departments. I don't want to suggest all dealers are crooked, but we all know SOME are crooked.

I always remember swapping stories with a current coworker who sold cars while in college. He told me he brought some paperwork back to the sales manager at let's just call it "Bill Johnson Ford" and it was about haggling over the trade value of a car. He told the sales manager that if they upped the trade value he got screwed out of his commission because the manager ok'ed a rock bottom price, but if they kept the trade offer, the customer was going to get kind of screwed on his trade. The manager said, "Somebody will always get screwed around here. It might be the customer, it might be you, but it will never be Bill Johnson Ford."

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,617 Posts
I had same issue on my 18 q4 at 36k couple weeks ago. Oil pump sprocket came apart . Dealer just replaced the pump and gave it back. Cars driving fine again but I’m clueless on bearing health .
Maybe time for Blackstone oil analysis?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Need more info. Year? Model? Miles? Original owner? "...engine just won't work." Does that mean it won't start? Is there compression? Fuel delivery? Ignition? What is the repair and maintenance history of this vehicle? Any mods, or all stock?
Thank you for your replies. The Giulia is a Q4 from 2018. Bought it after a lease return, with all servicing carried out regularly. There was a recall for an ORing a few months back. It then had a problem with the timing cover leak, so that was fixed as well under warranty. It has about 31k miles. I don't drive it particularly hard, it has no mods, everything is stock. The complression is fine, fuel delivery is fine from what they told me, there is no damage to the engine. Ignition-wise: the engine won't start. I asked them if they could try to replace the oil pump, but they said they don't have any, and would be better to replace the entire engine. From what others have said, it might be that they need to keep mechanics on staff, and need some extra income, but I'm not really keen on having the entiree engine replaced as it could lead to a lot more problems. On the other hand if the engine did get damaged right before it went limp (it did make a brief rattling noise right before turning off), then I wouldn't despise a brand new engine.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Sport with trailer hitch
3,187 Posts
I have a tapping noise in the front of my engine which I'm pretty sure is coming from the timing chain tensioner.... I took it to my local dealer to get diagnosed and after them having it for 7 days and not telling me anything I called to get an update and they told me it needed an engine.
I told them I would be down to pick up the car and not to do anything..... it's going to a different dealership this weekend to get diagnosed properly as I don't trust the first dealership as far as I can throw them and there is no way I would let them put an engine in my car.
I have a very quiet lower end knock/rattle at cold start idle. You cannot hear it from the top end over the injector and hpfp noise but when you position yourself behid the a pilar and windshield or under the car you can hear it. It matches rpm from idle to 2k rpm or so then you cant hear it after that. Itay just get drowned out by noise. It sounds like it could be anything from rod knock to timing to oil pump but we'll see

Been that way for about a year now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts