Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 500 miles on my new 2018 base Giulia. You guys have gotten me a little paranoid about what problems may occur! But, first, I have to thank you for pointing out that some dealers were letting the car off the lot at 50 psi! I checked and, yes, that happened to me.

New issues:
- squeaky back brakes, started at around 100 miles
- today, the radio station would change, but the channel display does not

Should I go back to the dealer with these issues?

I’ve never had these issues with a new car, my last purchase was in 2012 (Acura).

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,380 Posts
Nice spelling.

Sure, go see the dealer. These are the kinds of subjects i consider falling under the category of "extended delivery".

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s like that far off jingling sound... squeak is not the best word. Hard to describe.

Seems strange that they would not use the best pad material. Brake pads are pretty basic things.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It’s like that far off jingling sound... squeak is not the best word. Hard to describe.

Seems strange that they would not use the best pad material. Brake pads are pretty basic things.

My $.02, having been an owner since March..... have your oil changed at 1K miles...and let the dealership know in advance of the oil change that you want concerns x,y,z looked at... Between now and then it will help to do homework on which dealer you choose for service....I struck out with dealer #1, but #2 has been nothing less than awesome to work with (Ferrari/Maser of Seattle).

·
Registered
402 Posts
My $.02, having been an owner since March..... have your oil changed at 1K miles...and let the dealership know in advance of the oil change that you want concerns x,y,z looked at... Between now and then it will help to do homework on which dealer you choose for service....I struck out with dealer #1, but #2 has been nothing less than awesome to work with (Ferrari/Maser of Seattle).
Great advice. And you are lucky there is more than 1 dealer in your area!

How much did they charge for an oil change at 1K?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Great advice. And you are lucky there is more than 1 dealer in your area!

How much did they charge for an oil change at 1K?
Hi! Update:

At 2000 miles and with warmer weather the brake noise has mostly gone away! Yay!

Btw, I thought I was such a smarty to “negotiate” my first few oil changes for “free” but I hear that the first one is usually free anyway. Haha

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I'm at 1.2k miles on my MY18 which I picked up Feb. 20, and I can say that while the car had a small issue, it has really settled in and knit together nicely at this point.

The biggest issue I had was an occasional and awful chemical, oil-like smell through the vents when slowing to stop. It was really strong and bad for over a month, and has finally diminished to the point where it's tolerable. I think getting the car hot with highway running helped.

I didn't take it in because I got into an accident the day I picked up the car, and I was wanting to get the car into the body shop ASAP, and didn't want to delay it by being in some service situation. It's in for body work now, and I'll get it in to the service department to check on the smell when I get it back.

Other than that, I've had a couple of one-time, weird, small electrical things happen, like the infotainment system shut down and restarted once while I was playing music via Bluetooth, and one time the mirrors didn't return to normal position after starting from park, but did after I stopped and restarted the car.

What I have noticed, as I said, is that now the car seems to be working more smoothly, like things have settled in together; it just feels better. Speakers sound better, too. I did pick it up with 9 miles on the odometer, so it was very fresh, which may explain the change somewhat.

Anyway, these kinds of forums tend to amplify the complaints over the satisfaction, and it's hard to know what is real, what's exaggerated, and what's just human idiocy. Personally, I don't worry about that stuff until something happens, and-- knock on wood-- nothing has!

Enjoy your Giulia, and yes, have the dealer check out the issues now, while the car is new and warrantied.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm at

Others in the forum have mentioned the cabin fumes, I believe there is a fix for that.

My infotainment system restarted during the drive once too.

I worry about the automatic mirrors. Remember back in the 80s when some cars had front lights that flipped up and there would be cars with one light stuck up and one stuck down? That better not happen to my side mirrors!

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I'm at

Others in the forum have mentioned the cabin fumes, I believe there is a fix for that.

My infotainment system restarted during the drive once too.

I worry about the automatic mirrors. Remember back in the 80s when some cars had front lights that flipped up and there would be cars with one light stuck up and one stuck down? That better not happen to my side mirrors!
There was a fix for fumes on MY17 cars which was supposed to be implemented during production for MY18, and indeed a cursory examnation of my hood reveals the blocked holes which are part of the fix.

Maybe mine didn’t get the taller cowl gasket, I don’t know. Maybe it’s something else. I’m not aware of any other common sources of the problem, anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts