Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not really a post about a car that competes with the Giulia but I might be changing my plans a bit. I was thinking I would drive my loaded Base Giulia until the 2018 ordering opens and then order a QV exactly the way I want it...not really caring how long it would take to arrive for delivery.

All that has changed after talking with a bunch of 2017 Ford GT350 owners out in Vegas the other week, and listening to their experiences with their cars. Also, that DARN intoxicating exhaust note seems addicting....I could not get enough of it. The GT350 runs a "Flat Plane Crank" 5.2L V-8 with just over 500 Hp and 6 spd MT. The 2018 GT350 ordering should open up within the next 4 to 6 weeks and I may go that direction as my performance car and then keep my Giulia Base as my daily driver. If the 2018 Giulia QV was offered with a MT then I would order one immediately...it seems that is not going to happen in 2018 for the US as the automatic will stay as the only transmission choice.

Here is some interesting videos on the GT350 (this guy also owns a 911 GT3)...

Traded in his "tuned" M3 for the GT350...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I want a GT350 in Avalanche Gray (very light gray color) with the "Electronics Pkg" and the "Convenience Pkg" which adds the electric adjusting seats (removes the Recaro seats). There are no 2017 GT350's in the US right now with those options in Avalanche Gray...I will have to order the 2018 if I decided to go this route.

Anyone here own a GT350?

What are your thoughts on the GT350?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've been following Obsessed Garage for some time now. Good guy, and interesting life story. The GT350 is a beast, but I don't really see these cars as being comparable.

One of the primary reasons for me going the Alfa route was wanting a performance 4 door sedan. Emphasis on the 4 doors for me, and nothing was really calling my attention from the german market that I'm already used to (not to mention anything from Cadillac is a non-starter for me) so the Giulia filled the void quite nicely. Something with personality (the good and the bad) coupled with performance and practicality.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
uh you may also want to look at the "first run" issues they had a recall stop sales issue with oil lines that would leak/rupture and cause engine failure...
maybe wait for the 2018 GT350....you might also be able to get one without a premium...
and yes they ARE absolute beasts!!!...nothing link the thunk thunk of a flat plane crank

·
Registered
166 Posts
Friend of mine at work got one end of last season and absolutely loves it. He owns a lot of much more expensive cars, and so for him to be this smitten says a lot to me. I've only driven it a short distance, but the motor is fantastic.

The local Ford dealer called me and offered an allocation on one of the early R models. I regret passing on that!

You've got some nice choices in front of you! The Quadrifoglio is a wonderful car. So is the GT350. You'll enjoy either IMO. But for me the big value of the Quad is that my family can enjoy it together. The 4-doors are the killer feature.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
I want a GT350 in Avalanche Gray (very light gray color) with the "Electronics Pkg" and the "Convenience Pkg" which adds the electric adjusting seats (removes the Recaro seats). There are no 2017 GT350's in the US right now with those options in Avalanche Gray...I will have to order the 2018 if I decided to go this route.

Anyone here own a GT350?

What are your thoughts on the GT350?
there is actually one locally to me MINUS the Convenience Pkg...otherwise it has the Electronics Pkg it has the Recaros $61k
and another on Long Island which is the opposite w/ the convenience package and not the Electronics

both 2017...just sitting there....I think people want these in straight black or the requisite Wimbledon White/Blue Stripe...
maybe that helps:confused:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
They both have the same time at the ring........ well actually the QV beats the GT350R by 2/10 sec.

Exhaust note: personal preference

Price: GT 350 wins

Transmission: personal preference

Looks and style: QV wins by far.......

Convenience: I would think the 4 door feature is nice to have......

Verdict: It all depends what is important to you.....

Good luck!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't fit in the Recaro seats so I have to go Conveniece Package if I order the GT350. I can't get the manual Recaro seats in a position I like. The sport seats in the Convenience Package are perfect for me with the electronic adjustment feature.

The QV is in a league of it's own so I don't consider the GT350 as an actual competitor. Driving my loaded base Giulia as a daily driver and then driving the GT350 on the weekends would be the plan.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
They both have the same time at the ring........ well actually the QV beats the GT350R by 2/10 sec.

Exhaust note: personal preference

Price: GT 350 wins

Transmission: personal preference

Looks and style: QV wins by far.......

Convenience: I would think the 4 door feature is nice to have......

Verdict: It all depends what is important to you.....

Good luck!
Another win for the Quadrifoglio is the interior.

The mustang suffers from hard plastic syndrome. They have some nice touches for the arm rest inserts. Though the rest of the interior is a plastic train wreck. For the price, not bad considering the sport gt cars that it competes with. Alfa Romeo is on a different level, though.

One criteria that the mustang is actually the clear winner is the digital instrumentation. Digital needles for boost, air-fuel ratio, oil, water AND trans temp. The water is reduntantly displayed with an analog needle as well.

The mustang wins the multimedia aspect as well. It is mind blowing to me that FCA could not incorporate the Dodge/Jeep/Maserati UConnect system into the Giulia. It is leaps and bounds better than the included Giulia system.

Reactions: FX_Hedge

·
Registered
420 Posts
Given the sort of pricing we're working with I bet some people would even throw the Corvette in here. Doubt that many QV owners actually need the rear seats and are here more for the performance than anything else.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Apples vs Oranges

2 cars vs. 1 car is the way I see it....

GT 350 ($ 61 K) + Giulia ($ 45 K) = $106 K total investment

Vs.
Quad ($ 76 - 92 K) = a savings of anywhere from $ 30 - 14 K .....

In addition, one car to insure, one car to maintain....one car to wax...etc....etc...

Don't get me wrong, love Mustangs but a $61 K 'Stang is pushing Vette territory....

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
It's a tough call really. Both are good cars. But it's not an Alfa and I seem to notice that you're asking the advice of the Alfista crowd. As if we'll send you away like an orphan?? Toss a coin if you must, nobody will fault you either way.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Camaro ZL1 is in that GT350 mix with a 6.2L Supercharged V-8 and 0 to 60 in about 3.5 seconds...for $64K!

I am not at all a "GM" lover and definitely not a "Camaro" dude but the ZL1 is a heck of a performance car...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All

Google 100 Nurburgring times and you will see the QV at 3 seconds faster than the GT 350R. Really?

I track a 2014 Shelby Gt500. I have a Cortex Watts link, race pads, front brake cooling ducts all on the GY F1 OEM tires. I run at AAA Fontana, Ca 2.8 mile Roval track and the 2 GT350 Rs' that have come out there have been 1.5 seconds slower that my Gt 500. Give me the Carbon wheel and those tires and the 350 would way slower that a 500.

Although I want a GT 350R , I cannot purchase one when it cannot beat a "straight line car" on track.

The things that Ford should have done is put more Aluminum, offer rev match and get a bit more power out of the flat plane crank they developed. I got a call from our local dealer last week saying that a guy backed out of a special order gt 350 and that I could get it at MSRP.

I said thanks for the offer but not enough for me.

Currently waiting on the new Camaro ZL1/1LE and the new Shelby GT500. The Z06 is cool, but at 58 years of age my wife says I'm not old enough to own a Vette.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi All

Google 100 Nurburgring times and you will see the QV at 3 seconds faster than the GT 350R. Really?

I track a 2014 Shelby Gt500. I have a Cortex Watts link, race pads, front brake cooling ducts all on the GY F1 OEM tires. I run at AAA Fontana, Ca 2.8 mile Roval track and the 2 GT350 Rs' that have come out there have been 1.5 seconds slower that my Gt 500. Give me the Carbon wheel and those tires and the 350 would way slower that a 500.

Although I want a GT 350R , I cannot purchase one when it cannot beat a "straight line car" on track.

The things that Ford should have done is put more Aluminum, offer rev match and get a bit more power out of the flat plane crank they developed. I got a call from our local dealer last week saying that a guy backed out of a special order gt 350 and that I could get it at MSRP.

I said thanks for the offer but not enough for me.

Currently waiting on the new Camaro ZL1/1LE and the new Shelby GT500. The Z06 is cool, but at 58 years of age my wife says I'm not old enough to own a Vette.
Yes - the next GT500 will be interesting. Likely a twin turbo 5.0 Liter V-8 from that last reports I was reading.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Specs...

I get all the specs but comparing a 2 door sports car to a 4 door sports sedan is just apples vs oranges to me....:wink2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.