Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I get acquainted with my new Alfa Romeo Giulia I must say it is a playful car to drive. All the professional reviewers were right and it deserves all the accolades it has received. Even with less than ideal road conditions lately I've been able to have some fun with it. And despite the inability to command throttle induced oversteer (only the Quadrifoglio in Race mode allows this) it still handles very well. For the street, you really can't ask for much more, especially as most cars today are capable of achieving reckless speed in the blink of an eye. It does the sporty / luxury thing very well.

The Giulia is almost like a slightly softer, more luxurious, better looking Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X. Almost.... I know numbers don't tell the whole story, but still. Size and performance are on par. As is the lackluster dealership experience. Most comparisons I've seen so far are against other new entry-level compact luxury sedans like the Audi A4, BMW 330i, Cadillac ATS, Jaguar XE, Lexus IS200, Mercedes-Benz C300 and Volvo S60. However, upon further reflection, it seems to be a pretty close competitor to the last of the breed Evo X MR. I know there aren't many (if any) new Evo X MR left to buy. But I still thought it was an interesting comparison and worthy praise for both cars. Check it out.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Nice comparison, thanks for the effort.
A couple years ago I was considering the EVO X but wanted to drive my beater a bit longer. I'm so glad I waited as I could have never loved it as much as I do with the Giulia.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Very interesting comparo. The Giulia's efficiency is leaps and bounds ahead of the EVO.

The Mitsubishi does show its age a bit in regards to making full use of its 2.0L Drivetrain.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,633 Posts
Very interesting comparo. The Giulia's efficiency is leaps and bounds ahead of the EVO.

The Mitsubishi does show its age a bit in regards to making full use of its 2.0L Drivetrain.
Yep, in spite of what some nay sayers say, Alfa Romeo has a long history of making cars that get much better than average fuel economy relative to similar performance competing vehicles.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Visually there's no comparison. The Lancer looks like a dustbuster compared to the sensuous shape of the Giulia. It really shows how numbers don't necessarily tell the whole story. A sketchpad and a pencil costs the same no matter what you're designing; who's holding the pencil makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cross shopping both seems unlikely as one is brand new and hot, the other is on a 10 year old platform. But I can see a fella getting a Giulia when we grows older and is looking for a new daily driver to replace his Evo X, one that is still AWD and fun to drive but newer and nicer. Both cars do certain things very well. The worst thing about the Evo is the image (and the dealerships), the best thing is the way it drives (although I only have personal experience with the older, more raw Evo 8). The best thing about the Giulia 2.0 is the looks and the sporty handling with modern amenities. The worst is probably the questionable quality and dealership experience (they’re no Lexus).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Visually there's no comparison. The Lancer looks like a dustbuster compared to the sensuous shape of the Giulia. It really shows how numbers don't necessarily tell the whole story. A sketchpad and a pencil costs the same no matter what you're designing; who's holding the pencil makes all the difference in the world.
That Lancer was an absolute blast to drive, though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The pre-X Evo's were pretty sweet... pure and simple performance driving cars without the need for weight or lux appointments. The 10 made them too heavy, slow, and "comfy". I used to run against my friend's MR, which was supposed to be the bees knees... and he couldn't hang against most of us.

I wouldn't compare the mitsu to any of the AR offerings to be honest...unless they come out with a performance Ti that has less lux, more lightweight treatments, etc.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't compare the mitsu to any of the AR offerings to be honest...unless they come out with a performance Ti that has less lux, more lightweight treatments, etc.

If you look at the chart you’ll see the Evo X is already 120 lbs heavier than the Giulia and much of that is up front. So why do you argue the Giulia needs to be even lighter? It already beats the Evo in that department!

It’s easy to make the Giulia more aggressive: intake, exhaust, go pedal, ECU and TCU tune will make it spit fire. All for $2500 give or take.

Carbon fiber Sparco seats from the Quadrifoglio drop in. As does the OEM carbon fiber hood which I’ve see for as little as $800 from recyclers. But as I said earlier, weight isn’t the enemy you think it is.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I wanted the final edition Lancer when it was reported that it would be 500hp. When is actually came put just over 300 I went to look at one and saw all the plasticy bits and said not thanks. My QV hits that 500 hp make with change.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you look at the chart you’ll see the Evo X is already 120 lbs heavier than the Giulia and much of that is up front. So why do you argue the Giulia needs to be even lighter? It already beats the Evo in that department!

It’s easy to make the Giulia more aggressive: intake, exhaust, go pedal, ECU and TCU tune will make it spit fire. All for $2500 give or take.

Carbon fiber Sparco seats from the Quadrifoglio drop in. As does the OEM carbon fiber hood which I’ve see for as little as $800 from recyclers. But as I said earlier, weight isn’t the enemy you think it is.

Just to clarify, I meant my post to be pro-Alfa. (I never was an EVO guy, I was Subaru all the way) :D

I think the EVO was aimed at more of the 4-door race car segment (The pre-10 and others pre-USDM that is). When you could buy a version without A/C or a stereo. You weren't going to sit in one and complain about the paper-thin carpet with no mats. The Giulia is aimed at a different market for sure, even though its far nicer. Hope that makes my point a little clearer. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
IM THIS GUY ! I traded in a pristine Evo X MR with 32k on the odometer for a 2017 Giulia TI Q4.

Been debating on making an account and this sealed it!

Do I regret it? Not one bit.

I loved my EVO. Babied it. But I can probably count on on both hands the time I drove it at the limit. Lets be honest hardly anyone has the skill to really get every ounce out of an EVO. Most of the time it was back and forth to work and around town. It was uncomfortable, loud, steering was super heavy. It was what it was a full on race/rally car. But as the 30k service started looming and I had recently paid it off I started doing some soul searching and fell in love with the Giulia.

I think the Giulia and the EVO are comparable in some ways. But the Giulia is so much more live-able and nice. I has all the smile factor and has 99% of the EVO performance. Maybe i'll do a Burger Box but right now I think the performance is fine.

The EVO was a scalpel. Razor sharp and always seemed tense. The Giulia is more like a dancer.

Performance and handling when driving 9/10th's is unnoticeable and the Giulia takes far less effort to enjoy and drive fast.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,907 Posts
I had a '10 EVO X MR for awhile, too, and agree it was a lot of fun to drive, but really quite unrefined overall. Interior materials were chintzy, the ride was harsh, and it just felt like a disposable vehicle. But boy, when you whipped that thing, it was great! It was super-sporty, and just craved hitting every corner on the apex, flirting at the edge of adhesion.

It was too unrefined for me, however, and after a few months, maybe a year, I sold it. The guy who bought it works for me now and still drives it, though he did have to rebuild the trans. It's that kind of car that just loves being flogged.

Giulia is in another category, though, really, because while it delivers the performance, it does it with such refinement, elegance, and grace it seems like 2x the car that EVO X is...maybe more.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.