Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to join the QV owners rank, upgrading from a 2011 S4 manual.

I've only got a few questions. I took a quick look through the forums and didn't see the answers - would love if someone would point me in the right direction.

1. 2017 or 2018? - Any reason to get the 2018 for any improvements in reliability? I don't care about apple play.
  2. Sparco seats or regular? I plan on tracking the car 5-10 days a year and would like the Sparco seats. See next question.
  3. 5 point harness? What's the best way to get a 5 point harness in this vehicle? Use the factory Sparco seats and figure out a way to cut out a hole for the anti-submarine? Or go with an aftermarket seat?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'll answer my two cents on the first two... 1) Supposedly no difference between 2017 and '18 however I'm not so sure. Many electronic issues were noted (as you see on the boards) with '17s and not often '18s. Supposedly software updates have addressed these and dealers with left-over '17s should (but probably are not compelled by FCA to) update them before selling. Recently there was a thread here on the front axle height on the '18s as 3/4 to 1" higher and different front springs spec'd. I get the feeling that this is one brand where continual updating has occurred (and probably needed given the fast design cycle of this car). 2) I have sat in both seats. The Sparcos are nice and a work of art from the rear. That said, the standard seats have thick bolstering and nice thigh support which extends manually. I don't know the weight difference. Aside from weight the standard seats are not noticeably inferior in terms of support and holding someone in the center of the seat on a twisty road. The head-rest is also close to your head. Sparcos force you to lose heated seating and electric front-rear track adjustment. If you share the car with anyone then manually adjusting the seat position front-rear could get annoying fast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll answer my two cents on the first two... 1) Supposedly no difference between 2017 and '18 however I'm not so sure. Many electronic issues were noted (as you see on the boards) with '17s and not often '18s. Supposedly software updates have addressed these and dealers with left-over '17s should (but probably are not compelled by FCA to) update them before selling. Recently there was a thread here on the front axle height on the '18s as 3/4 to 1" higher and different front springs spec'd. I get the feeling that this is one brand where continual updating has occurred (and probably needed given the fast design cycle of this car). 2) I have sat in both seats. The Sparcos are nice and a work of art from the rear. That said, the standard seats have thick bolstering and nice thigh support which extends manually. I don't know the weight difference. Aside from weight the standard seats are not noticeably inferior in terms of support and holding someone in the center of the seat on a twisty road. The head-rest is also close to your head. Sparcos force you to lose heated seating and electric front-rear track adjustment. If you share the car with anyone then manually adjusting the seat position front-rear could get annoying fast.
Super helpful. Yes, my gut instinct is that a 2018 is the better bet given the low volume and rapid development cycle of this car. Seats - my preference is absolutely the Sparcos. I'll deal with the occasional sharing of the car with the wife and no seat heaters since from what I've read comfort is about the same in each version.

What I really care about is track days and using a 4 or 5 pt harness. If the Sparcos don't make adding a harness any easier I could be tempted to just get the regular seats and deal with a full race seat sometime in the future.

Would love some comments from folks who have done track days in their cars.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
What would they be addressing that would necessitate such a thing?
I am also real interested in that spec in axel height and spring being validated somewhere. I got a 2017 recently and it has Sparco seats. I find them very nice and OMG when you see them from the back I am surprised my husband doesn't let me drive just so he can sit in the back seat and stare at them. Comfort very and most of the guys we have bumped into that track are envious. I provided my local dealer my VIN and all software was updated before it left Ohio. Other than Car Play and when and if they made this difference in height it could have been mid model 2017 or later edition 2018. Without validation I don't like guesstimating. I have Tecnico dark on the 2017 with Ceramic Brembo which also makes the track guys with their steel brakes salivate. Problem is we are not tracking. At one point you could order that combo from a build now you can't once you add Ceramic Brakes you have to go with 5 hole. There is a lot of speculation on this forum (weight, spacers) Well they are lighter than 5 hole and forged and there is more space so why??? who knows. Speculating. I plan to further research the height thing for sure as well as the brake thing. I am sure a quick call to Alfa Care might be able to get an answer. Although maybe they are not telling anyone.:nerd:

I think if you can get a really good deal on a 2017 with all that stuff which the Sparco's went up in 2018 and something else in price go for the 2017. Our car was MSRP'd at the highest you could go (Sparco and Ceramic Brakes) and the discount more than paid for those extras that for me I didn't care about but those seats my husband loves.

I have seen most of the issues people are having were software related. If you are updated you can land a good deal and your reliability hasn't changed. I wouldn't mind a little more height because we have a curbed driveway. An inch would be nice but we put a little more air in the tires within the parameters and it resolved it. Just don't take bumps fast anywhere.

If alfa actually did raise some of the 2018s then I would think i could pay for the added springs or whatever since it is not a hardware/software issue like CarPlay. Apparently that is a computer issue that can't be upgraded but springs for sure not sure about height.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have Tecnico dark on the 2017 with Ceramic Brembo which also makes the track guys with their steel brakes salivate. Problem is we are not tracking. At one point you could order that combo from a build now you can't once you add Ceramic Brakes you have to go with 5 hole.
I still don't understand why they don't let you combine Technicos with ceramic brakes currently.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I still don't understand why they don't let you combine Technicos with ceramic brakes currently.
Wanna trade. I told my husband I was going to get them powder coated. Here is my thought. Alfa just wants to get people to upgrade $500 but that doesn't explain the Dark Tecnico. So it could be 1. they are just finicky 2. There is less protection for the brake from hazards (no one is buying that) 3. Weight. the Technicos are forged and lighter with the carbon ceramic which may also be lighter could throw the weight off a micorsopic tad bit. Otherwise I don't know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wanna trade. I told my husband I was going to get them powder coated. Here is my thought. Alfa just wants to get people to upgrade $500 but that doesn't explain the Dark Tecnico. So it could be 1. they are just finicky 2. There is less protection for the brake from hazards (no one is buying that) 3. Weight. the Technicos are forged and lighter with the carbon ceramic which may also be lighter could throw the weight off a micorsopic tad bit. Otherwise I don't know.
If I had a QV I probably would. I've never heard of anything bad coming from having too little unsprung weight on a car, but I don't know all there is to know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone that tells you the Sparcos are just as comfortable as the thicker seats has not been in both for a decent amount of time. The Sparcos are far less comfortable for any driving past the tracking or the occasional city driving. Long trips or decent hours int he car? The thicker seats all the way are the way to go. Sparcos looks the part, no question.. but comfort or looks? Which is more important to your body? lol

·
Registered
529 Posts
What I really care about is track days and using a 4 or 5 pt harness. If the Sparcos don't make adding a harness any easier I could be tempted to just get the regular seats and deal with a full race seat sometime in the future.
1. Don't use 4 point harness. Ever. Even the 4 pt "ASM" belts are a band-aid approach to people too lazy to fit a sub-belt.

2. Don't use a +5 point harness in a car without rollover protection that incorporates a harness bar. Ever.

3. The proper way to fit a +5 point harness is to: install a rollbar that incorporates a harness bar, install a fixed back seat (preferably a full containment seat), install the harness to that harness bar, and only use the harness when you are using a HNRS (HANS, Simpson Hybrid, et al).

It's a safety system... and they work together. Using one piece without the others can be dangerous.

If you need better containment while on track but don't want to do it properly, use a CG lock:
https://store.windingroad.com/cg-lo...11arnbaaxDvYLZ-OgpRChdfZCPnMktCwaAhmJEALw_wcB

It'll hold you in better, and you don't compromise the car's safety system.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Sparcos are far less comfortable for any driving past the tracking or the occasional city driving.
I have Sparco seats and, admittedly, I've never sat in the standard ones. That said, I have driven the 40 miles in the twisties to get to Santa Cruz, and immediately turned around and drove the same route back. There wasn't a point when I felt the seats were uncomfortable (5'11", 170 lbs). If I had to nitpick, when I have the seat back in the position that is right for me, I wish there was an adjustable headrest that I could bring forward just a little bit, but not a big deal.

Would I change my opinion after driving 350 miles to Los Angeles? Don't know!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1. Don't use 4 point harness. Ever. Even the 4 pt "ASM" belts are a band-aid approach to people too lazy to fit a sub-belt.

2. Don't use a +5 point harness in a car without rollover protection that incorporates a harness bar. Ever.

3. The proper way to fit a +5 point harness is to: install a rollbar that incorporates a harness bar, install a fixed back seat (preferably a full containment seat), install the harness to that harness bar, and only use the harness when you are using a HNRS (HANS, Simpson Hybrid, et al).

It's a safety system... and they work together. Using one piece without the others can be dangerous.

If you need better containment while on track but don't want to do it properly, use a CG lock:
https://store.windingroad.com/cg-lo...11arnbaaxDvYLZ-OgpRChdfZCPnMktCwaAhmJEALw_wcB

It'll hold you in better, and you don't compromise the car's safety system.
Thanks. Have the CG-Lock belt tightener now and it's definitely a help. Appreciate the thoughts on safety equipment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have Sparco seats and, admittedly, I've never sat in the standard ones. That said, I have driven the 40 miles in the twisties to get to Santa Cruz, and immediately turned around and drove the same route back. There wasn't a point when I felt the seats were uncomfortable (5'11", 170 lbs). If I had to nitpick, when I have the seat back in the position that is right for me, I wish there was an adjustable headrest that I could bring forward just a little bit, but not a big deal.

Would I change my opinion after driving 350 miles to Los Angeles? Don't know!
I sat in both seats at a dealer yesterday and while the Sparcos are fine, I don't know that they really hold me in place any better than the default seats - it's essentially a tossup, except for the weight savings. I'm likely to go for the regular seats to keep some of the luxury and get a bit of extra wife-acceptance-factor. Going to visit a dealer with a Vesuvio Grey in stock later this week - let's see!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I sat in both seats at a dealer yesterday and while the Sparcos are fine, I don't know that they really hold me in place any better than the default seats - it's essentially a tossup, except for the weight savings. I'm likely to go for the regular seats to keep some of the luxury and get a bit of extra wife-acceptance-factor.
Disclaimer: I'm saying this as a potential owner and not current owner. Even if we put function aside, the Sparcos have a lot of appeal to me personally because it helps differentiate the Quadrifoglio moreso from the regular Giulias as something more special since you can't get those seats on the lower trims. So yes it's just a car and you should go with whatever suits your needs the best, but that's my two cents not even taking into account comfort or lateral support differences, if any.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I was not a fan

Key is was. We did a 300 mile round trip and my husband and I both agreed we were very comfortable in the Sparco. If we ever felt that we needed more lumbar support we would get a support option for that. As far as wow factor I was not a fan but I also wasn’t a fan of the QV until we got one. I am glad we got the Sparco seats. They are very comfortable and although we don’t race it certainly is purdy. Sorry I would definately go for the Sparco’s. What is a few extra thousand. I was not a fan of alcantara either but the AZ sun it probably won’t be nearly as hot to sit on vs the leather. I believe the leather on the Sparco may be a better quality. I looked at both and one seemed to be a bit smoother in more areas. It will be trickier to condition but if you can afford it i would go for it.

I did not think the other seats added any luxury look or feel to the car. However, Having those big carbon backs even from a female prospective it grew on me very quickly and can see that they are quality and I don’t miss all the automated stuff (which can break) and heated seats is really not something I am going to miss in Arizona. The Alcantara will hold you in better and found the positioning very balanced in cornering.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I for one think the Sparco seats are a step backwards for a lot more money. I figured a few days of track time is no comparison to regular winter bum warming... Also, there is no way that during a hours long drive they can provide the same level comfort over time compared to the adjustability of the regular QV seat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.