Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking at a 2017 Giulia QV with only 3,100 miles. It is a buyback with the following repairs:

• 3/13/2021 updated power control module and transmission control module
  • 3/13/2021 updated the anti-lock brake system 3 times
  • 3/13/201 replaced the fuel pump with updated fuel pump control module. Update the body control module.

Also, inspection report from dealer showed: cylinder misfire diag P0350. However, when I look up P0350, it is related to the ignition coil.

CCB have 8mm rear, 7mm front. I have heard many different comments about how long the CCB's should last if the car is not tracked. I don't plan to track it. I have heard anywhere from 30,000 miles to 70,000 miles.

Overall thoughts on this buyback and specifically the P0350 CEL? I understand it is risky to get a buyback. It does have a 12 month warranty from the day I purchase it. Will also buy the extended warranty of course in about 8 months or so.

thanks
Tom

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Depends on the price really. If it’s $40k it’s worth a shot. If it’s $60k I would steer clear of it. Replacing ABS 3 times seems like a incompetent service center. I would avoid especially if there is another QV in same price range. The low mileage is a definite red flag for me. I’d rather have a 5 yr old QV with 30k than 3k. That’s just my opinion and of course it’s your money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are asking $48.9k. Already called Mopar last week and gave them VIN. They quoted $3990 for 3yr/36k miles with $100 deductible. Car fax shows fuel pump replaced on 4/28/2018 along with battery and body computer/module. Looks like it was bought back by FCA on 2/24/21 and then the repairs I listed above where done a month later.

·
Registered
Giulia Quadrifoglio Alfa Rosso, 2018
89 Posts
Wow, that’s a lot to go wrong. I’m betting on a lousy dealer/mechanic. As to the warranty, would depend on how many miles you plan to drive per year. 36k is not that high. If you plan to keep it I’d go for a longer plan. Plenty about extended warranties on the site. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
They are asking $48.9k. Already called Mopar last week and gave them VIN. They quoted $3990 for 3yr/36k miles with $100 deductible. Car fax shows fuel pump replaced on 4/28/2018 along with battery and body computer/module. Looks like it was bought back by FCA on 2/24/21 and then the repairs I listed above where done a month later.
if your buying it to drive it keep in mind if it’s constantly in the shop under extended warranty or not it’s reallly not worth 20k let alone 48k. Purpose of cars is to enjoy them and drive them. I would blow the balls off that car if you do get it. Babying it has gotten it to this point. When a car can’t sell in these inflated times there’s obviously a problem.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I bet that the original owner had enough with the dealership not able to diagnose and fix the potential problem and got rid of the car. Misfires error codes with CELs happen, sometimes and are probably false alarms, but very annoying. The majority of the times, you can get rid of those false alarm with the 4 stops/starts of the engine procedure. I have heard about fuel pump issues before (several times, it was not the real problem) so, if they already changed it, you have a brand new fuel pump on the car. I also bet that a bad battery was the real problem with that car to begin with.

So, $49K for a masterpiece like that is not bad. If you get the extended warranty and if you will not be annoyed with a random none-sense CEL sometimes and if you will not have a problem to bring the car to a good/capable dealership (I am talking about a good/capable dealership) to diagnose and fix any potential problem and, more importantly, you really want an Alfa Romeo QV, then, go for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah. Thanks for all the replies. According to carfax, here are the details:

• 4/28/18: fuel pump replaced, battery replaced, body compute/module replaced
  • FCA bought it back on 2/24/21 noting "repeat attempts by dealer", "no service solution available as it threw multiple per day", "Codes could not be corrected on vehicle". To me, this sounds like the owner got sick of the CELs. Maybe between 4/2018 and 2/2021, owner just put up with random CEL's but car performed fine.
  • Repairs were done on 3/13/21 by FCA.

- 2/9/22, Van Horn Alfa in Davenport replaced the battery. Maybe another attempt to fix CEL issue.

So, it would seem that the CEL issue is still happening since the inspection report dated 2/10/22 showed the P0350 CEL. Having a 3rd party inspection drive it tomorrow.

I have read that replacing the battery does solve many issues but it would seem that it is not the case here. Need to confirm if the CEL was thrown after the latest battery.

Tom

·
Registered
2017 Quadrifoglio
108 Posts
Yeah. Thanks for all the replies. According to carfax, here are the details:

• 4/28/18: fuel pump replaced, battery replaced, body compute/module replaced
  • FCA bought it back on 2/24/21 noting "repeat attempts by dealer", "no service solution available as it threw multiple per day", "Codes could not be corrected on vehicle". To me, this sounds like the owner got sick of the CELs. Maybe between 4/2018 and 2/2021, owner just put up with random CEL's but car performed fine.
  • Repairs were done on 3/13/21 by FCA.

- 2/9/22, Van Horn Alfa in Davenport replaced the battery. Maybe another attempt to fix CEL issue.

So, it would seem that the CEL issue is still happening since the inspection report dated 2/10/22 showed the P0350 CEL. Having a 3rd party inspection drive it tomorrow.

I have read that replacing the battery does solve many issues but it would seem that it is not the case here. Need to confirm if the CEL was thrown after the latest battery.

Tom
Just for some reference on pricing. I bought 2017 lemon QV in August 2021 with 16k on the Odometer but it had a brand new engine with 3000mi. I have a 4 yr/60k extended warranty, which I've used already and I paid $47k. Car has CCB but no Sparcos.

I'd say go find a better lemon out there

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just for some reference on pricing. I bought 2017 lemon QV in August 2021 with 16k on the Odometer but it had a brand new engine with 3000mi. I have a 4 yr/60k extended warranty, which I've used already and I paid $47k. Car has CCB but no Sparcos.

I'd say go find a better lemon out there

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I guess that $49K now and $47K a year ago are more or less the same thing. I bet the CELs are false alarms and I bet the dealership(s) has(have) zero clue on what is going on. In general, A P0350error code indicates that the PCM has detected a malfunction in the circuit of one or more of the engine's ignition coils. But, the dealership has not changed yet any of the coils. Weird.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts