Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Just joined the forum, so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere...

I absolutely LOVE my (new-to-me) Veloce in Misano Blue. It's in great condition, really low mileage and is fun to drive. I'm planning on keep it a while so am 'delicately' researching what I need to do to it to make it even better...

In-car
Clearly, not having Apple CarPlay, or a touch screen is a frustration. I understand that all 2018 and beyond models now have this as standard, but I'm left wondering what to do. Seems to me:
  1. Buy an aftermarket part like this one: Alfa Romeo CarPlay. But:
    • Does it even work with a non-touch screen?
    • Can I use the existing controls to navigate CarPlay? Does that lead to a poor experience? Anyone out there tried this?
  2. Buy a new in car audio system (maybe Alpine?), would this be a better experience? Anyone out there tried this?
Performance
I love how the car drives and steers, but find the turbo lag a little off putting - particularly when pulling away in a hurry. Have therefore decided to do the following:
  1. Change the air filter to a BMC performance.
  2. Take it to the guys at Celtic Tuning and get them to ECU tune it. Apparently, if I do, this happens:

ORIGINALPOST-TUNE
    276bhp324bhp
    295lb/ft349lb/ft

The air filter may add to that slightly too...
    Has anyone out there done this already? Is the reliability affected at all? I ask because a previous car I remapped ended up dying on me, possibly because I didn't go to a reputable dealer. :cry: I'm therefore a bit nervous about this. On the plus side, Celtic themselves said they would rolling road map it in order to do it well within engine tolerances, and perfectly customised to my car. Hopefully this should be good...
Keen to hear what you have done to yours and what you think about everything above.

Have a great week!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’ve fitted an eng-custom.

I prefer using a dial. We have touchscreen CP in the wife’s Tiguan and I can’t use it when moving. CarPlay is well-designed to light up key buttons so you can flick between menus using your peripheral and the dial whilst moving (When safe to do so of course).

Only time dial is an issue is it’s a bit slow typing postcodes flicking up and down the alphabet but for everything else it’s great. Wouldn’t want to try anything like an alpine when Eng integrates almost perfectly with the factory system - DNA screen appears, as does the climate overlay. Only thing missing is the volume overlap on CarPlay but they’re working on this supposedly.

I personally found it easy enough to fit. Most importantly, avoids horrible finger prints!

Can’t comment on the Celtic but I’m tempted once I’ve had the car a bit longer and I’m happy there’s no issues. Also worth looking up the JB4 as quite a few run that with good results, but some also get CEL which puts me off, and by the sound of things would put you off too. I’d rather go safe with a well-designed flash tune.

I’m looking at the sprint filter myself - not sure I could be bothered with an oiled filter like bmc (could be a non-issue but haven‘t looked into it enough).

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Hi guys,

Just joined the forum, so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere...

I absolutely LOVE my (new-to-me) Veloce in Misano Blue. It's in great condition, really low mileage and is fun to drive. I'm planning on keep it a while so am 'delicately' researching what I need to do to it to make it even better...

In-car
Clearly, not having Apple CarPlay, or a touch screen is a frustration. I understand that all 2018 and beyond models now have this as standard, but I'm left wondering what to do. Seems to me:
  1. Buy an aftermarket part like this one: Alfa Romeo CarPlay. But:
    • Does it even work with a non-touch screen?
    • Can I use the existing controls to navigate CarPlay? Does that lead to a poor experience? Anyone out there tried this?
  2. Buy a new in car audio system (maybe Alpine?), would this be a better experience? Anyone out there tried this?
Performance
I love how the car drives and steers, but find the turbo lag a little off putting - particularly when pulling away in a hurry. Have therefore decided to do the following:
  1. Change the air filter to a BMC performance.
  2. Take it to the guys at Celtic Tuning and get them to ECU tune it. Apparently, if I do, this happens:

ORIGINALPOST-TUNE
    276bhp324bhp
    295lb/ft349lb/ft

The air filter may add to that slightly too...
    Has anyone out there done this already? Is the reliability affected at all? I ask because a previous car I remapped ended up dying on me, possibly because I didn't go to a reputable dealer. :cry: I'm therefore a bit nervous about this. On the plus side, Celtic themselves said they would rolling road map it in order to do it well within engine tolerances, and perfectly customised to my car. Hopefully this should be good...
Keen to hear what you have done to yours and what you think about everything above.

Have a great week!
No touch screens in Giulias until MY20, so 2018-2019s all had OEM CarPlay that utilizes existing knob controls. There is a long and separate thread on aftermarket options for CarPlay covering 3-4 vendor solutions that all offer basically the same functionality. As an aside, my wife just bought a 2020 Honda with touchscreen (and CarPlay). I personally hate the touchscreen, it’s distracting to use when your driving and always covered with fingerprints. The Giulia infotainment controls are far superior IMO.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Welcome to the forum, congratulations on getting a Giulia.
All of your questions are answered or at least hotly debated on numerous existing threads on the forum.
For CarPlay in a 2017 it is possible to upgrade to a 2019 entertainment module and USB hub and get factory CarPlay rather than the add on units that tap the video signal to the display screen. At least it is for US spec Giuiia’s. It’s not simple and it’s pricy but you can’t beat the level of integration.
For the lag off the line. Lots of discussion around this and I don’t think just a tune will change this, it does other nice things but not that. There are a number of options to intercept and change the throttle signal to aim reduce the lag. You might want to search for the discussions about those.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts