Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
@Alfissimo

I just received your spark plugs today and would like to install them ASAP. Do they come gapped. If not, do you know what to gap them to? As I've gotten mixed answers.
.60 - .65mm is OEM gap.

They do come gapped, it should be 0.60 - 0.65 mm. Just make sure that they are within that range, as they could be bumped in transit/handling.
Agreed, they come pre-gapped but always check.

DO I NEED TO SET THE “GAP” WHEN INSTALLING A NEW SET OF PLUGS?
Maybe. A spark plug part number might fit hundreds of different engines from many different manufacturers. Although the NGK factory will set the gap to a preselected setting, this may not be the right gap for your particular engine. The incorrect plug gap for your engine can contribute to a high rate of misfires, loss of power, plug fouling, poor fuel economy and accelerated plug wear. It is always best to check the gap against the manufacturer’s specifications. If adjusting the gap on fine wire or precious metal plugs such as platinum or iridium, be very careful not to apply any pressure or prying force to the fine wire center electrode or insulator as they can be damaged. The gap should be adjusted by only moving the ground electrode.
Another consideration that should be taken into account is the extent of any modifications that you may have made to the engine. As an example, when you raise compression or add forced induction (a turbo system, nitrous or supercharger kit) you must reduce the gap (about .004″ for every 50 hp you add). However, when you add a high power ignition system (such as those offered by MSD, Crane, Nology) you can open the gap from .002-.005″.
If you have any questions, please contact the NGK SPARK PLUGS TECH STAFF >>

The manufacturer of your vehicle, the company that produced the aftermarket products you’ve used, and/or your service technician are all additional sources of gapping information if you’ve modified your vehicle.

So it's likely not a major issue with the vehicle, but I can't pinpoint exactly whats going on.

Over the past week and a half, I have gotten an oil change at the dealership, changed my spark plugs from the OEM, to the Champion (9407) RER8ZWYCB4 (I had a hard time finding the OEM), replaced the stock air filter with a K&N filter, and refilled the cars gas as a smaller scale local station. So I figured it has to be one of these 4 things, and I'm leaning towards the plugs.

Whenever I drive the car mostly conservatively it's completely fine, I can go 10mph or 100mph and feel nothing wrong with car, as long as I don't really put my foot down and crank up the RPMs beyond like 4k-5k. Never has the issue before.

What do you guys think is likely the culprit here? I'm thinking maybe taking the plugs out and checking the gap? Idk, I just got any to figure it out ASAP.
Check the gaps first.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.