Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I know some people also had this issue and wanted to know what was done by the dealer to fix your misfire issue. Mine has been in the dealer for 3 weeks now and they can't seem to fix it. I in total owned the care for month and a half now but only drove it for 2 weeks. They said they changed couple of cylinders and it is still happening. I contacted Alfa Romeo itself and complained as the dealer couldn't do anything and they kept saying that the car needs to stay another week when I would call them every week. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
>:)Get the two changed cylinders and the missing week back:laugh:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just FYI the car is still at the dealer they said they are still trying to figure out what is causing it.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Just FYI the car is still at the dealer they said they are still trying to figure out what is causing it.
Someone local had a similar issue and there is a software update they are working on to correct the issue. Ensure corporate has been notified. They are aware of the issue at hand.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So they called me today and told me that they found carbon on all the pistons and spark plugs and they are putting in a request for engineering team to review my case....

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,823 Posts
Is it possible that a bunch of us are driving around in Giulias that are misfiring, but it's so mild we're not noticing it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So here is their last update if anybody is interested. They are replacing the fuel rail assembly and the tube from the high pressure pump to the rail. I already told them that if this does not fix it and my car is not ready by next week I want a replacement. The Alfa Romeo premium care customer service already opened the case for me to get a replacement. Next week it will be exactly 1 month my car has been in the shop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it possible that a bunch of us are driving around in Giulias that are misfiring, but it's so mild we're not noticing it?
If you have the feeling that your car is misfiring even if its very mild take it to the dealer and I would not be surprised as I already saw so many people having this same issue with their Giulia.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
It's not a Giulia but...

For the last year or so I have had a misfire problem with my Protege. It is only noticeable at low throttle settings and the car has never thrown a CEL. I normally run whatever fuel is cheapest and convenient. For whatever reason I ended up buying 1 tank of Shell brand fuel and magically the misfire stopped, even after I filled up with more tanks of cheap gas. My guess is that whatever detergents Shell is putting in their fuel, they work remarkably well.

I expect that the high performance engine in Giulia is more sensitive to this sort of thing and have to wonder if fuel quality is an issue behind some of the misfires and fuel injector problems that have been reported.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Yes it's direct injection and problem injectors can cause misfires, either electronically or fuel flow/mechanically. I had shorts in my boost harness on the Miata the last 2 years and it was washing cylinder no.2 or pooling in the manifold while parked, from the extra ecool injectors. Caused hard starting when cold and misfires on no.2 while driving. Simple shorts in the No.2 wire will cause the injector to open and dump fuel. When parked, the residual pressure in the system can be enough to move fuel. When running, the shorted injector dumps fuel and washes the cylinder, fouling up mixture AND causing loss of compression by de-oiling the rings. Can look scary on a compression test until you check it dry and wet a few times. Runs great now with a couple pieces of electrical tape on the wires, and some loom armor and sore fingers ;)

I am curious, what is your build date and market. US, UK, AUS...? The wiper cowl on early UK cars was not converted properly and had drain holes appear right above the ecu in the engine compartment. Water intrusion and shorting caused all manner of havoc. Maybe even with the fuel system? Good luck and keep after them about this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it's direct injection and problem injectors can cause misfires, either electronically or fuel flow/mechanically. I had shorts in my boost harness on the Miata the last 2 years and it was washing cylinder no.2 or pooling in the manifold while parked, form the extra ecool injectors. Caused hard starting when cold and misfires while driving on no.2. Simple shorts in the wire will cause the injector to open and dump fuel. When parked, the residual pressure in the system can be enough to move fuel. When running, the shorted injector dumps fuel and washes the cylinder, fouling up mixture AND causing loss of compression by de-oiling the rings. Can look scary on a compression test until you check it dry and wet a few times. Runs great now with a couple pieces of electrical tape on the wires, and some loom armor and sore fingers ;)

I am curious, what is your build date and market. US, UK, AUS...? The wiper cowl on early UK cars was not converted properly and had drain holes appear right above the ecu in the engine compartment. Water intrusion and shorting caused all manner of havoc. Maybe even with the fuel system? Good luck and keep after them about this.
Hey John,

Not sure if you are asking me for the build date and market? If you are it is 2017 got it in early September and it is the US market.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Yes that's most of it! Check the label on the driver's door jam. There should be a more specific date code. If we can find it is in a similar date range to other cars with problems, it may show a production or part problem and expand to a larger recall. Either way, they should make it right for you. Sorry you have to go through this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes that's most of it! Check the label on the driver's door jam. There should be a more specific date code. If we can find it is in a similar date range to other cars with problems, it may show a production or part problem and expand to a larger recall. Either way, they should make it right for you. Sorry you have to go through this.
Thank you John. If I go down to the dealer any time soon I will definitely check that and will let you know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hey folks,
could some of you describe the symptoms of misfiring? I have my car that sort of has a hiccup at low speed/slow acceleration in 2nd-3rd gear and I wonder if that is the case

·
Registered
332 Posts
It happens in many gears, low rpms usually when rpms drop and you reaccelerate (I.e. coming out of corners or slowing down and getting back on the throttle). Rpms under 2k. Car jitters/shakes hesitates to move very briefly. And if I pay close attention the entire experience in that one throttle press doesn?t feel right until I get off the throttle and go again. At this point it?s generally above 2 and things are good again. This at least is my experience and that of a few others that have explained this issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It happens in many gears, low rpms usually when rpms drop and you reaccelerate (I.e. coming out of corners or slowing down and getting back on the throttle). Rpms under 2k. Car jitters/shakes hesitates to move very briefly. And if I pay close attention the entire experience in that one throttle press doesn?t feel right until I get off the throttle and go again. At this point it?s generally above 2 and things are good again. This at least is my experience and that of a few others that have explained this issue.
Thank you Neiltyme! I experience it especially when I start from a full stop and accelerate slowly. when the car is below 2K rpm, it shakes/jitters exactly as you said.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Neiltyme! I experience it especially when I start from a full stop and accelerate slowly. when the car is below 2K rpm, it shakes/jitters exactly as you said.
Yeah looks like you got yourself a misfire too. Good luck with that and take it to the dealer as soon as you can. This is just crazy as how many people are having this issue.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I?ve told my dealer about this in the past and also mentioned the fuel rails/injectors as a possible solution but thier protocols limited the fix to software updates and to no ones surprise that did yeild any improvement. My car is finally going back tomorrow for further investigation. My dealer is 60 Miles away because the local one here in the triangle is absolute garbage. The one farther away is great to me and always accomdating. I hope they can get this thing resolved!

1 - 20 of 111 Posts