Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently drove out of town and the AC began to slowly stop cooling. I pulled over and opened the hood and noticed that the line going from the compressor to the inside of the car was frozen solid! I timed it and it took roughly 2.5 hours to freeze over! Anyone else have these issues?

·
Registered
797 Posts
It'll get cold and covered in condensation... More than likely what you are experiencing is covered in a TSB. Mine does it too on long drives. After a while it gets lazy and stops doing much of anything. If you switch to manual mode, crank fan, turn down the temp, does it work? Mine does.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I too have had this problem. The first time, we were on a several hour drive with above 90 degree ambient temps and muggy high humidity conditions. After about 2 - 2.5 hours the cold air became warm. I turned-off the AC for about 10 minutes (kept driving) and upon restarting the AC function, the air was again fully cold for the remaining one hour of our trip. There is a TSB and a reflash to fix this problem of the evaporator getting too cold and freezing. I had the reflash done and about a week later, on a similarly long trip, but with slightly cooler ambient temps in the 80's and noticeably drier air, it did the same thing again. This time we stopped for a toilet break of about 10 minutes. Upon returning to the car, there was a river of water extending at least 10 feet from under the car. Again, an indication that the evaporator had frozen. Apparently the reflash did not improve the problem. I contacted the Dealer and they are going to look into this further for me. FYI, this and my other complaint of the "miles remaining until empty" indicator going to all dashes (---) when the gauge indicator hits 1/4 tank full (https://www.giuliaforums.com/threads/miles-remaining-until-empty.46444/) are the only two issues that I have had.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It'll get cold and covered in condensation... More than likely what you are experiencing is covered in a TSB. Mine does it too on long drives. After a while it gets lazy and stops doing much of anything. If you switch to manual mode, crank fan, turn down the temp, does it work? Mine does.
Great suggestion which i will try next time i take a long drive. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I hope that FCA-Alfa comes-up with a (better) fix for this. This should not happen, at all. The second time this happened to our Giulia, we were caravanning. I was driving our older 01 e39 M54 BMW 530i. Both cars pushing out 38-39-40 degree air from the face vents. BMW did not freeze - Giulia did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
AlfaAndy
Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
We’re the top forum to discuss Alfa Romeo Giulia’s seductive styling, luxury and race level performance.
Full Forum Listing