Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I elected to have Kinney's Muffler in Watauga, TX ( http://www.kinneysmufflershop.com/kinneysmufflershop.com/HOME.html ) do an axle back, reversible, muffler delete. Below I have pictures of the stages of work, and I hope to have a few short videos soon. Basic summary, nicer idle note, not too much more noise overall, a touch of a drone at 1600-1800 rpm with throttle. Sorry that they are all fun sized, but I had to host them off imgur as they were too big to post directly here.

Muffler Undertray removed, forward side toward the ground. Note the cutout for the exhaust to reach the muffler.

Stock muffler without undertray.

Stock exhaust entering valance tips from undercar. This valance, on the passenger side, plus a strengthing insert had to be removed to get the stock system out. The trim piece is actually quite beefy.

Stock "factory crimp" under axle.

Stock factory slip joint behind resonator. They replaced from here back with aluminized 2.5" pipes. I elected to skip stainless due to local conditions not requiring it.

Factory stock rear section. Weight is 29.8 pounds (13.55 kg).

Closer look at factory crimp. My best guess is they knocked about .75" dent into the pipe. There is a similar crimp between the flex connector to the downpipe and the resonator.

Fabrication in process.

Replacement piping.

Looking to the rear.

Final look, showing why the open muffler area shouldn't catch any extra air than before.

Final look from rear.

No point in a picture from the rear overall, it looks no different. Kinney's was careful to match the factory slash cut and depth within the trim valance.

Hopefully, some videos to follow.

Reactions: Roo

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a couple of videos. I will get some revving and drivebys soon, hopefully.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so first observations:

1) The Giulia, without a muffler, is a noisy beast at cold start. The 1200-1300 rpm high idle is very noisy, while the 800-1000 rpm normal idle is quite mellow.

2) Not much in the way of pops or barks, so the stock resonator seems to control that plenty.

3) Seat of the pants doesn’t feel faster, however, I do find myself faster than I think at any given time. Not sure what to attribute that to, but something seems to have changed. I do feel it may be a bit faster, but I can’t pin it down or be certain.

4) I do wonder about that “crushed” pipe section right after the flex connector, before the resonator. Would eliminating that provide any good results? However, given the increased volume without the muffler, I’m not sure about removing the resonator without replacing it.

5) More thoughts when I can get some time watching some drivebys.

Reactions: DEEZZ and Roo

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yea I just did mine last weekend! I love it but boy is the cold start in the morning loud! Especially in a parking garage lol

·
Registered
407 Posts
Nice Post. Looking to do mine soon too. Some videos of revs and drivebys would be awesome.

Also, curious to know how much the whole setup cost you.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, it seems to me that the system took a couple of weeks to “settle in” or break in. I’m now getting a nicer/smoother note and a little overrev crackle that didn’t seem there before.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Very nice, looks like quality work.
I also noticed the "break in" period. I'm hearing now many more pops and barks compared to when I first did it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Nice article. Thanks for the how to and all the documentation.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, here some possibly useful data, but, who knows. Using an iPhone 6 and Decibel X App (my trusty Realistic sound meter just died), I got the following:

Cold start, mic 2 feet above exhaust outlet: Peak 99 db on high idle (1400 rpm), average 96-97 db.

Cold start, mic 15 feet to the left of exhaust outlet: 80 db on high idle.

Cold start , mic 15 feet behind the exhaust outlet: 85 db on high idle.

Warm idle, mic 2 feet above exhaust outlet: 78-80 db on idle (800 rpm).

Driving, with iPhone placed on the drivers side of the console top, top of phone against the flat plastic holding the center USB, tests in Auto mode:

Cruise at 1400 rpm: 72-74 db

Cruise at 1700 rpm: 78-80 db (this is the “drone zone” many report, I don’t find it very bad at all)

Acceleration from stop: Peak 85 db at shift points, general range 80-85 db under throttle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
How noticeable is the freeway speed drone you mention at 1700? You noticed an increase from stock right? Would you freak after a 5 hour road trip?
How much did this run? If it’s significantly less than a madness or equivalent I’ll do it. The stock Ti has an embarrassing note. Sounds good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, the “drone” isn’t much of a player. If you watch your speeds driving around, the gearbox is almost always looking to shift down for the 1,300-1,500 rpm range, or you’re on the gas at or above 2,000 rpm. I haven’t tried to cruise in Manual mode at 1,700-1,800 rpm yet, so IDK. I’ll try it sometime and report.

Overall, the “drone” I felt I heard is overblown (IMHO) and the system definately improves with some time on it. To get a real brrrap out of a shift, you pretty much have to be in Manual mode (which I assume is a faster shift and rev match program). Full throttle in Auto mode isn’t quite a raspy, but still a nice note.

My only dislike is the high volume of the cold start/high idle. It’s not that it bothers me, but with a side entry garage, I feel a bit guilty about shotgunning my neighbors at 5 AM.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Actually, the “drone” isn’t much of a player. If you watch your speeds driving around, the gearbox is almost always looking to shift down for the 1,300-1,500 rpm range, or you’re on the gas at or above 2,000 rpm. I haven’t tried to cruise in Manual mode at 1,700-1,800 rpm yet, so IDK. I’ll try it sometime and report.

Overall, the “drone” I felt I heard is overblown (IMHO) and the system definately improves with some time on it. To get a real brrrap out of a shift, you pretty much have to be in Manual mode (which I assume is a faster shift and rev match program). Full throttle in Auto mode isn’t quite a raspy, but still a nice note.

My only dislike is the high volume of the cold start/high idle. It’s not that it bothers me, but with a side entry garage, I feel a bit guilty about shotgunning my neighbors at 5 AM.
Lol same here in regards to the cold start! I park in a parking garage and man is it loud in the mornings with the muffler delete!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tested it today. M8 on freeway is in the 1,600-1,900 range between 65 and 70. Cruising, quiet; partial throttle, growls, a bit loud; more throttle kicks down and outta the range. Without a road trip, I’d say it’s not bad.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I just installed the Madness Lusso exhaust which is a cat back muffler delete, no crimps, new resonator. The cold start roar is a deal breaker for me, my wife and the neighbors. The stock exhaust is going back on, oh well. BTW - there IS drone at 1800 RPM / 70 MPH regardless of what Madness says.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's been a long while since your last post, have a chance to take a road trip with it? I know you mentioned drone 65-70 mph, but what about 80-85 mph (that's where I typically cruise)? Is the drone gone at that speed? Also, is it much louder INSIDE at 80-85 mph compared to stock? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
It's been a long while since your last post, have a chance to take a road trip with it? I know you mentioned drone 65-70 mph, but what about 80-85 mph (that's where I typically cruise)? Is the drone gone at that speed? Also, is it much louder INSIDE at 80-85 mph compared to stock? Thanks!
Check out @Eagle7 thread on how to add dampening material that nullifies the drone.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts