Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Some backstory here. I am an owner of a 2016 Chrysler 300s and have had some issues in q1 of this year which resulted in FCA doing a Good will buyback. Originally, I was going to wait and order a 2018 300s v8. However, it just occurred to me that since Alfa Romeo is an FCA product, I could get the gorgeous Gulia Ti!!! After getting confirmation from the buyback company, I think I'm going to order a Gulia :).

I am trying to do some research, I could really use some help here. First, I understand that Apple Car play is Mia right now, but I've read that this may be unlocked with a software update, true?

Second, I'm a bit confused about 2018. I'm based out of US and online I see 2017 only. I've read a thread where there is a claim that 2018 can be ordered now, or soon? Is that true? Anything worth while changed? FCA is very lenient with my case, I could wait another 60 days or so prior to swapping vehicles, I have full use of my current car in the meantime.

Third, I'm having a rough time finding direct comparisons between 300s v8 and Gulia. I'm 95% sure that Gulia is a way better car. I used to have an a4 prior to my 300, I do miss a smaller, more agile car. But, 300s is a beast overall. My understanding is that Gulia more so competes with Audi A4 and other premium brands, which would make 300 not really comparable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hey all,
Some backstory here. I am an owner of a 2016 Chrysler 300s and have had some issues in q1 of this year which resulted in FCA doing a Good will buyback. Originally, I was going to wait and order a 2018 300s v8. However, it just occurred to me that since Alfa Romeo is an FCA product, I could get the gorgeous Gulia Ti!!! After getting confirmation from the buyback company, I think I'm going to order a Gulia :).

I am trying to do some research, I could really use some help here. First, I understand that Apple Car play is Mia right now, but I've read that this may be unlocked with a software update, true?

Second, I'm a bit confused about 2018. I'm based out of US and online I see 2017 only. I've read a thread where there is a claim that 2018 can be ordered now, or soon? Is that true? Anything worth while changed? FCA is very lenient with my case, I could wait another 60 days or so prior to swapping vehicles, I have full use of my current car in the meantime.

Third, I'm having a rough time finding direct comparisons between 300s v8 and Gulia. I'm 95% sure that Gulia is a way better car. I used to have an a4 prior to my 300, I do miss a smaller, more agile car. But, 300s is a beast overall. My understanding is that Gulia more so competes with Audi A4 and other premium brands, which would make 300 not really comparable.

Thanks!
I can't speak to you other q's but the Giulia is in a ver different class than the 300. I don't mean that in a hoity toity status way it's just a very different animal. The 300 is a full-size sedan the giglia is a compact sport sedan. the Giulia competes with the A4, 330i, C300, Lexus, Acura TLX, and to a lessor extent the Volvo S60. Size wise it's similar to a Ford Fusion whereas the 300 is equivalent to a Taurus.

Driving dynamics wise the two could not be more different. The 300 is a big soft comfy cruiser. the gulia is a small, nimble canyon carver.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,796 Posts
My Giulia replaced a 300S. Very different cars. Easy transition. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

The 300 drives very well for its size and is an outstanding long-distance car with a lot of room for occupants and their chattle.

The Giulia drives outstandingly. While it's a little less comfortable for long distances, I have no hesitation about using it to cover many miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This 2016 was my second 300 in a row, I upgraded from the 2014 model originally.

I do not mind the fact that Gulia is smaller, I welcome it. It is rare for me to have more than just my gf in the car with me. I love German driving dynamics, specifically what a4 offers. I like agile, nimble cars that are sporty. Since I can't get the a4, Gulia has really caught my eye. In fact, it does appeal more to me in some areas.

Since I'm going MSRP to MSRP the price difference between the 300s that I want and Gulia is about $2k more, Gulia being the more expensive. However, it is a trade off in some areas. 300 will have ventilated seats, but that 900w sound system in the Gulia is a total winner.

How is the infotainment system? I've read that it isn't the sharpest display quality wise? That's one thing I was looking for in the 2018 300s.

I'm going to be going in for a test drive on Sunday, pretty stocked. I'm hoping to find more info on the 2018 model, even though I'm pretty certain it will be very similar.

·
Registered
343 Posts
From what we understand Apple CarPlay is not going to be available as an update to the 2017 infotainment system. Also, It is not going to be available on the first of the 2018's either, but we don't seem to know when in 2018 it will be available. I have the HK sound system in my Ti and I like it. I know others have complained, and it does have some issues, but over all I am happy with it. But this car is built for driving and it really does shine! I've never driven another car like it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for replies all.

I'm looking through packages now, I'm usually a fan of sport trims with bigger rims and black moldings. Can anyone shine some light on the Ti Lusso vs Ti 19 inch Sport package? Unfortunately, it seems as if you get more value out of the Lusso package with power driver and passenger seats with memory, luxury leather and air quality system.

Does Giulia not have power seats without Lusso?

What is air quality system exactly? Is it worth it?

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts
Thank you for replies all.

I'm looking through packages now, I'm usually a fan of sport trims with bigger rims and black moldings. Can anyone shine some light on the Ti Lusso vs Ti 19 inch Sport package? Unfortunately, it seems as if you get more value out of the Lusso package with power driver and passenger seats with memory, luxury leather and air quality system.

Does Giulia not have power seats without Lusso?

What is air quality system exactly? Is it worth it?
I believe in the USA there are 5 seat types

1) Standard 8? way power seats.
2) Sport 8? way power seats with manual adjustable thigh supports.
3) Lusso 10 way power seats, the only seats with tilt adjust.
4) Quadrifoglio standard power seats.
5) Quadrifoglio Sparco seats (mostly manual)

You have to upgrade to a Ti model to get 2) or 3) and you have to upgrade to a Quadrifoglio to get 4) or 5). The sports seats are a bit tight for some people, be sure to try them before buying. I think the sport seats are paired with the 19" sport package.

The light color Lusso package has nearly white carpeting. Dark floor mats are a must-have addition. I think all of the other interior colors (maybe not Quadrifoglio with ICE) have black carpets.

The Ti leather package makes the interior looks very nice. It comes with red stitching on the black leather if the black/red interior is ordered.

The 19" sport package comes with better aerodynamics and way better looking wheels than the other packages. 18" rims are more practical (less likely to get flats, better fuel economy, less road noise, same handling as the 19" rims), but look at the rims side by side and you will most likely want the 19" rims. Some folks have been known to buy the Lusso package then order the 19" rims separately.

I was told that the air quality system is an automatic switch to recirculate when the exterior air quality is poor. I drive through areas with localized wood smoke, and hope that this feature will prevent filling the interior with smoke. Maybe it can detect skunk too? (probably too much to ask).

Be prepared for the "issue" that Alfa Romeo under specifies 2.0T Giulia. It has more power (about 310HP), it gets better fuel economy on the highway at least if you use the A mode; EPA says 31 MPG Q4 and 33 MPG Q2, but there are many reports of 35 to 40MPG with a Q4. Most city MPG reports are considerably lower than the EPA 24MPG estimate (reports are from 16 to 20MPG). AR says 0 to 60 in a Q4 takes 5.1 seconds, but one forum member states that with practice 4.9 seconds can be achieved.

·
Registered
118 Posts
john, not sure about the car play--- here is the alfa sheet on my 2018 order in may, already build and at dock waiting shipment: you may turn out to be right, and everything alfa says is subject to the lost in translation italian approach to things but here is the official on my VIN

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called a dealer today, they told me that 2017 is the only year they can order. The wait time for delivery seems to be 3 months or so.

I don't know how accurate this is, but blah.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I called a dealer today, they told me that 2017 is the only year they can order. The wait time for delivery seems to be 3 months or so.

Lol...One of my dealers already has a 2018 QV, pretty sure they have it backwards...you can only order a 2018 now as far as I know from my local dealers

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am from Chicago IL, my Alfa Dealer in Naperville stated that if I want Apple/Android Carplay I could order the car sometime in August, he did have the Alfa rep in his office day, so I tend to believe him. Either that or he has his July Quota met and wants me to wait a month LOL. 2017 is NOT a software upgrade I was told, otherwise I would have been fine with the 2017.

·
Registered
365 Posts

It is inaccurate. There are about a half dozen of us on this forum with 2018s on order.

My dealer even forwarded me my final pricing on my 2018 order a week ago (I went about a month from ordering, not knowing what pricing would actually be).

Another forum member with obvious inside connectings at Alfa Italy, has remarked that 2018 production has been underway for weeks now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I don't put much confidence on calling a dealer and speaking to the first rep available lol.

I can't make it to a delarship till Sunday, so I called. That particular dealer had the Ti I wanted to order, minus the Ti 19 sport package. I'm wanting to check it out, as it is hard to find any Giluia Ti that matches what I want closely.

What is the wait times you guys are getting with your Ti? So does every 18 spec going to come with CarPlay? Or do I need to wait till august?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well, I don't put much confidence on calling a dealer and speaking to the first rep available lol.

I can't make it to a delarship till Sunday, so I called. That particular dealer had the Ti I wanted to order, minus the Ti 19 sport package. I'm wanting to check it out, as it is hard to find any Giluia Ti that matches what I want closely.

What is the wait times you guys are getting with your Ti? So does every 18 spec going to come with CarPlay? Or do I need to wait till august?
YES, MY18's come with Car Play and Android Auto. It's a hardware thing not a software thing. Of us that has MY17 build vehicle's unfortunately we are SOL.... There will not be a software update anytime in the near future to inable Car Play or Android Auto for the 2017's. If you ordered a 2018 within the last 2 months you will have that luxury..... Just read thru all the threads to figure it out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

YES, MY18's come with Car Play and Android Auto. It's a hardware thing not a software thing. Of us that has MY17 build vehicle's unfortunately we are SOL.... There will not be a software update anytime in the near future to inable Car Play or Android Auto for the 2017's. If you ordered a 2018 within the last 2 months you will have that luxury..... Just read thru all the threads to figure it out.
Sorry to hear :(. I'm pretty sure the guy I spoke with was confused. I literally asked him when I could order an 18, he claimed sometime in November. Which doesn't make any sense really. I wonder if he's confused as to what can and can't be ordered. It sounds as if no dealer can really order MY17 spec and everything being ordered will be a MY18.

As far as pricing, do dealers have some kind of a form we can look through? Alfa Romeo USA only has a 17 for build and price.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sorry to hear :(. I'm pretty sure the guy I spoke with was confused. I literally asked him when I could order an 18, he claimed sometime in November. Which doesn't make any sense really. I wonder if he's confused as to what can and can't be ordered. It sounds as if no dealer can really order MY17 spec and everything being ordered will be a MY18.

As far as pricing, do dealers have some kind of a form we can look through? Alfa Romeo USA only has a 17 for build and price.
There has been several folks that has posted pics of their order/build sheets showing that Car Play and Android Auto as listed on their order. Dealers should only be talking MY18 orders! And if you order NOW you will absolutely receive the Car Play & Android Auto feature!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hope so lol. I don't see how they can order a 17 and get the factory to produce it at this point.

Do the order sheets state MY18 on them? Also, how does the financing work for orders? Do you need to apply and finalize all paperwork and payments prior to order being placed, or once the delivery happens?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hope so lol. I don't see how they can order a 17 and get the factory to produce it at this point.

Do the order sheets state MY18 on them? Also, how does the financing work for orders? Do you need to apply and finalize all paperwork and payments prior to order being placed, or once the delivery happens?
Yes the order sheets/build sheets state MY18 on them. Depends on the dealer. Some dealers require a deposit to order some don't!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Part of what you're dealing with is that it's possible that particular dealer actually can't place new orders until November! Or they've already promised all of their order allocations between now and then. And then there's the pesky issue of all the MY2017s they have sitting on the lot already (and still incoming for them off of boats).

Dealers aren't allowed to just order however many they want when they want -- they have to have allocation for those orders from Alfa, wait for Alfa to accept, etc.

As to pricing, some people have managed to get preliminary pricing sheets, but personally I have a MY2018 order pending scheduling by Alfa and still do not have final pricing. We worked it out with MY2017 pricing and they told me they'd get back to me when they had final for my approval. I believe a few of the options may have gone up by a few hundred $, but don't expect it to be extremely different.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It seems like everyone is getting a different story, I was told that if I tried to order an 18 before August it would not come with Carplay (possibly that was the software update, like the 18 Stelvio) I don't believe the 18 Stelvio comes with carplay initially. I did managed to call three different 2 said August for me and one didn't know. As someone who is looking to get this car, it is a little frustrating, if it takes any longer I might have to save up for the QV. I am curious how they can take an order for a car that doesn't have pricing yet, I wouldn't pre-order a car unless I had the details.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts