Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just an update.
I'll be dropping my lucky 4 Leaf to my dealer tomorrow with a "Service Engine" light and stuck in "N".

In the two weeks I've had her I've had several "Service Active Aero" and a stuck open front splitter. Usually cured with a shutdown and restart.

The service engine came after a warm restart, returning to the car after brunch.

I disconnected the battery to reset the ECU got the usual Xmas tree of lights for all systems. Cleared those with driving.

I even tried the gas cap and hood for the service engine light, and thought I fixed it after the hood, but came back and stuck in limp mode.

I knew what I was getting into with this hot bitch, but after 200,000 miles in 4 Infinitis and 2 Lexus without so much as one warning light... mio Dio!

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Like i’ve said before..... if you want to jump into a Giulia.... you better live close to a dealer. Take donuts or gift cards as you will get to know your service advisor by name. I had my service advisors cellphone number and we became good friends. I was invited to his wedding. My dealership became my second home. :) And drove many Audi’s in my many service downtimes.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Sounds like you have a Quad....was this car "new" or a buy back ?

I have a member in my chapter that has had multiple issues with his car....His was a very early build....

I must tell you, with the vast majority of Giulia owners , your scenario is an outlier.....The vast majority

of Giulia owners are way more satisfied with their cars than most Infiniti (I've had 2) and Lexus (never

owned 1) owners......Good luck....D

PS - where are you located ? Who is your dealer ?

Reactions: Sal Scotto

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sounds like you have a Quad....was this car "new" or a buy back ?

I have a member in my chapter that has had multiple issues with his car....His was a very early build....

I must tell you, with the vast majority of Giulia owners , your scenario is an outlier.....The vast majority

of Giulia owners are way more satisfied with their cars than most Infiniti (I've had 2) and Lexus (never

owned 1) owners......Good luck....D

PS - where are you located ? Who is your dealer ?
I’d have to agree but i mostly drove Nissan versions the last 15 years.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your troubles and sincerely hope you get the issues sorted out. My personal experience has been better than yours, fortunately. After 8 months and 8300 miles, I’ve had to go back the dealership Zero times. It has not been completely trouble free though. I’ve experienced the following issues:
1. Hood latch would not work (a couple of times)
2. Collision warning system fault while my son was removing his school bag from the trunk (happened twice)
3. Active aero fault/error. Disappeared after a few seconds (happened only once)
4. Rear seat squeaking sound. Seems it needs a rubber bushing or some such.

While I wish I had not experienced these gremlins, I consider them to be annoyances and nothing that detracts from my enjoyment of the car. I did purchase 8 years 125K mile warranty for my peace of mind.

Again, I hope your problems are resolved to your satisfaction promptly.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Oh no. Honeymoon is over. Hopefully not Infinity / Lexus remorse. Hope it gets resolved quickly or worse case or maybe not, the 31 day clock can start.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Called for a service appointment where I bought the car.... No available appointments, we can keep it here and work on it when we can, also no available loaner cars. WTF?

Called a second dealer where I didn't buy the car, "Service Engine? on a new QuadFog? Bring it right in, we don't have a loaner, but we'll have Alfa pay for a rental car if we have too!"

Service doesn't always equal service.

·
Registered
641 Posts
2. Collision warning system fault while my son was removing his school bag from the trunk (happened twice)
3. Active aero fault/error. Disappeared after a few seconds (happened only once)
Collision warning system fault while removing a bag from the trunk? What caused you to think those things are related? You may have not seen the thread but my Quad has been with the dealer a week as they attempt to find out why I keep getting the error. Not sure I want to suggest it might ha e something to do with trunk luggage.

On the active splitter....that can happen when something gets temporarily caught in it. With me it was a plastic bag in the road that got caught for a while. Engine shutdown overnight reset it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
small bug. it will get fixed and you will be good to go. 3.5k miles on mine and a small cel after a 170+ mph rip down an empty back road. it fixed its self after a brief time in n mode and it never returned. car is so fun and such a great machine...don't despair. for the poster that cites the need to live near a dealer...a bit a sweeping statement and not helpful to the op and the brand. a minor vent and not meant to incite.

·
Registered
526 Posts
How frustrating and sadly almost every time I drive my car I think about problems I read about on this forum. But since April of '17 and 9,400 miles I have for the most part had zero problems.

I have had the aero device warning at least a half dozen times and it always seems to correct itself for a few weeks or months. Although cool its obviously not the best thought out design because my dealer says its, dirt or rocks.

Good luck with the repairs, I think there are fixes for most everything you mention, why Alfa has not been more proactive is beyond me.

The Q is one **** of a car!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yes, all of the above ;) Was it a 2017? If so, bugs are most likely. Be patient and go to that dealer that offered "real" service. You should be all set.

If you have to wait for long, keep chanting this to yourself: (My current reading today)

"1-6, 3-4, 2-5... 90-150, 90-150, 90-150."

This is the magic song of the "big bang" firing order and timing of the fantastic Ferrari derived 90' V6. The low brass section of a Puccini opera score if ever he wrote one.

:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just to echo what some others have said: I'm 8 months in and 6k miles, with plenty of runs up over 100mph. Not a single issue, aside from an inability to drive at legal speeds, and a permanent grin on my face.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Sorry to hear about your QV's issue.......
5500 miles on mine and after beating the **** out of her at the track needing new pads and rotors (which AR covered) and tires..... I can honestly say she has been stellar, not a single issue.......

Great, now I just jinxed myself.......

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yep I would say BostonDMD is a QV abuser. If his QV can survive any of them can.

I also like the earlier poster had concerns every time I got in the QV with PTSD from the issues on the forum and AR is horrible threads. Well I am enjoying my new car just like any new car. Okay, it is not just ANY new car but other than the fear of speeding tickets I have had nothing but fun. Like my husband says. I WFH so I have three dogs that I have to walk and i insist on taking Giulia out for a walk to. I so enjoy the QV.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I must be lucky (so far). Had my issues under 50 miles with car not starting after I let gas level drop too much. Almost 2,400 on the odo and no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Haven't had any issues (other than delivery and a flat) and I have mid-year 2017 build that sat on a lot for 8 months. So far a gem. I guess you could say a diamond in the ruff (love dogs sorry). Okay a new model over $90k with no discounts probably didn't make people begging to take her for the first 6 months but she showed purdy. After that it was on to 2018. Certainly nothing mechanically. So for folks that are going to leave their QV's for a couple weeks. Not sure I would worry to much about that considering how long mine sat.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Collision warning system fault while removing a bag from the trunk?
Oh, it has nothing to do with luggage. Just that both times it happened I stopped the car to drop my son, there were no warnings/faults, he stepped out of the car while I opened the trunk (still no warnings/faults), then he removed his bag from the trunk and then closed the trunk. As soon as I started to drive off I noticed the warnings/faults. WTF? ... at the next traffic light I turned off the car and turned it back on and the warning/fault disappeared. Exactly the same sequence of events happened on the next day. This was several months ago. Has not happened again since then.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Called for a service appointment where I bought the car.... No available appointments, we can keep it here and work on it when we can, also no available loaner cars. WTF?

Called a second dealer where I didn't buy the car, "Service Engine? on a new QuadFog? Bring it right in, we don't have a loaner, but we'll have Alfa pay for a rental car if we have too!"

Service doesn't always equal service.
Isn't it simply amazing the difference between dealers can be? One leaves a bad taste in your mouth while the other does not. These dealer experiences are more important than the fact that your new car is having issues. It sucks that your new car is misbehaving, but it is terrible that the dealer you bought from doesn't even care.

I hesitate to say this, but you can call FCA and complain about how 'your' dealer treated you. Perhaps they will give that dealer a stiff talking to? Perhaps not?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.