Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some info on the 2.0 turbo/intercooler for the gearheads out there:

I installed a bluetooth OBD2 reader and the Torque app to read engine parameters. During a 0-100 mph full throttle run the turbo boost pressure was a steady 22 psig with no drop off at redline. The intercooler outlet air temperature was 128 deg F max with the ambient temperature at 75 deg F. The intercooler temperature sensor has some lag so it may have gone higher with a longer run.

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
580 Posts
Well, sort of. 22 psi is simply the maximum you can read through the OBD2 port (technically 22.x). The Giulia 2.0 actually peaks at about 25. From there it drops to about 22, and then drops to 20 towards the high end, but you probably couldn't see the drop to 20 due to the rate of engine acceleration vs. the ports data transfer rate. In other words, the car actually outperforms commonly used data logging equipment. Ironically, the best way to see the boost data on this car is with an old fashioned boost gauge plumbed into the intake manifold.

I do appreciate your taking the time to gather data. The "Torque" app is a great tool, it's dirt cheap, and I think more people should be familiar with it. It's just not able to log boost really accurately on THIS car.

Greg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Some info on the 2.0 turbo/intercooler for the gearheads out there:

I installed a bluetooth OBD2 reader and the Torque app to read engine parameters. During a 0-100 mph full throttle run the turbo boost pressure was a steady 22 psig with no drop off at redline. The intercooler outlet air temperature was 128 deg F max with the ambient temperature at 75 deg F. The intercooler temperature sensor has some lag so it may have gone higher with a longer run.
Billee, which bluetooth reader are you using?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Billee, which bluetooth reader are you using?
"BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices" (available on Amazon). Good reviews and seems to work well. Will not work on IOS.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks! I have an Android tablet I can run it with. I had a similar device for iOS that never worked well, so I'm looking forward to giving this a whirl on the Giulia.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,727 Posts
Well, sort of. 22 psi is simply the maximum you can read through the OBD2 port (technically 22.x). The Giulia 2.0 actually peaks at about 25. From there it drops to about 22, and then drops to 20 towards the high end, but you probably couldn't see the drop to 20 due to the rate of engine acceleration vs. the ports data transfer rate. In other words, the car actually outperforms commonly used data logging equipment. Ironically, the best way to see the boost data on this car is with an old fashioned boost gauge plumbed into the intake manifold.

I do appreciate your taking the time to gather data. The "Torque" app is a great tool, it's dirt cheap, and I think more people should be familiar with it. It's just not able to log boost really accurately on THIS car.

Greg

Greg,

Do you know if the turbo boost is gated in PSIA or PSIG? That is, does the boost run higher at high elevation? The 11.3 PSIA air that I am breathing makes me ask these silly questions.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Greg, how much longer till you release the ECU tune and the V2 intake? Those 2 things are on my priority mod list.
Probably late next month. All those products have worked really well in 1000s of miles of testing (including publicly testing at the Twisted Sisters, and Fiat Freak Out/Road America events). However we really want to run them on our new dyno prior to release, and it should be in early next month. Figure on some minor development tweaks and the products should be ready immediately after.

I am particularly excited about this product line. We have stuff coming that hasn't even been mentioned yet.

Greg

·
Registered
580 Posts
Greg,

Do you know if the turbo boost is gated in PSIA or PSIG? That is, does the boost run higher at high elevation? The 11.3 PSIA air that I am breathing makes me ask these silly questions.
That's a great question, and yes I do know ;) The Giulia's ECU accounts for altitude changes to an extent. That means it will run more boost at higher altitudes in order to get manifold pressure up to the full value.

For those that don't fully understand lockem's question, here is an explanation. Atmospheric pressure at sea level on a normal day is 14.7 psi. Now if you add in 20 pounds of boost, the pressure in the intake manifold, which is what the engine cares about is 34.7 psi. Now, drive from the coast up to a place where it's 2000 feet above sea level and with no other changes, atmospheric pressure will drop to about 13.7 psi. Now, if your turbo system only knows to add 22psi, you manifold will only see 33.7psi, so although you have the same about of boost (22psi) you really have less manifold pressure and less power.

In this situation, the Alfa KNOWS you went to a higher altitude and it will compensate by adding some extra boost. However, there are some limitations. Chief among these is the gasoline's octane rating. Often, in the US, higher elevation cities have lower octane premium fuel (instead of 93, you often see 91, or 90). With less octane, the engine may knock, if that happens, the ECU will aggressively pull back power. There are other factors as well, so don't expect to see full power in Leadville Colorado. It will only compensate to a certain degree, and within a certain range, but it will compensate.

Greg

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Hey Greg, sure wish you guys did the installs, it's sort of like surgical supply reps. assisting the Doctors in the O.R. LOL

·
Registered
547 Posts
Probably late next month. All those products have worked really well in 1000s of miles of testing (including publicly testing at the Twisted Sisters, and Fiat Freak Out/Road America events). However we really want to run them on our new dyno prior to release, and it should be in early next month. Figure on some minor development tweaks and the products should be ready immediately after.

I am particularly excited about this product line. We have stuff coming that hasn't even been mentioned yet.

Greg
Can I just give you my credit card now?:grin2:

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,727 Posts
That's a great question, and yes I do know ;) The Giulia's ECU accounts for altitude changes to an extent. That means it will run more boost at higher altitudes in order to get manifold pressure up to the full value.

For those that don't fully understand lockem's question, here is an explanation. Atmospheric pressure at sea level on a normal day is 14.7 psi. Now if you add in 20 pounds of boost, the pressure in the intake manifold, which is what the engine cares about is 34.7 psi. Now, drive from the coast up to a place where it's 2000 feet above sea level and with no other changes, atmospheric pressure will drop to about 13.7 psi. Now, if your turbo system only knows to add 22psi, you manifold will only see 33.7psi, so although you have the same about of boost (22psi) you really have less manifold pressure and less power.

In this situation, the Alfa KNOWS you went to a higher altitude and it will compensate by adding some extra boost. However, there are some limitations. Chief among these is the gasoline's octane rating. Often, in the US, higher elevation cities have lower octane premium fuel (instead of 93, you often see 91, or 90). With less octane, the engine may knock, if that happens, the ECU will aggressively pull back power. There are other factors as well, so don't expect to see full power in Leadville Colorado. It will only compensate to a certain degree, and within a certain range, but it will compensate.

Greg
Greg,

I can't find anything better than 91 octane in my state (California) except at very expensive specialty fuel supply outlets (i.e. places that have race fuel, generally priced at about twice what "normal" premium costs).

I think you mixed up the numbers in your post such that 22psi boost should have been 20psi boost.

Anyway, I drive a lot from 4500 to 9600 foot elevation. My NA Protege does NOT like it. Other than increased turbo lag and requiring good fuel, should I be getting full power from Giulia 2.0T?

I too am waiting for your ECU tune. I waiting for the vehicle to arrive too <sigh>, so I'll give you a break for a while before I start in with the "is it here yet" routine.

On a related point, have you compared the weight of your Corsa Exhaust to the stock exhaust?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Greg,

I can't find anything better than 91 octane in my state (California) except at very expensive specialty fuel supply outlets (i.e. places that have race fuel, generally priced at about twice what "normal" premium costs).
I feel your pain, we have the same issue in Oklahoma, 91 is what we get, and almost always with 10% ethanol. All of our standard tunes will operate just fine on 91.

I think you mixed up the numbers in your post such that 22psi boost should have been 20psi boost.
Oh yeah, you're right, I did. Good catch.

Anyway, I drive a lot from 4500 to 9600 foot elevation. My NA Protege does NOT like it. Other than increased turbo lag and requiring good fuel, should I be getting full power from Giulia 2.0T?
The only one who knows that is Toby, he is knee deep in this ECU programming right now. Frankly, I haven't asked him that, and I certainly haven't yet done any driving at super high altitudes. My thoughts, based on what I have seen in other Alfas, and Magneti Marelli ECUs is that is will compensate pretty well up to about 3000, and start dropping off from there. However the drop off will be less than it would be with a normal fixed boost turbo system.

On a related point, have you compared the weight of your Corsa Exhaust to the stock exhaust?
I haven't, but I will. Technically it's Centerline's Corse exhaust. We are very excited about it. I am 100% certain it's going to give performance gains over the stock exhaust, and I am looking forward to proving that.

Greg

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
I hope it's more than 25 pounds. The Corsa design deletes the muffler which is the heaviest component of the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I hope it's more than 25 pounds. The Corsa design deletes the muffler which is the heaviest component of the stock exhaust.
I just don't want to venture a guess. I am really excited about this exhaust system, mostly about the quality, sound, and appearance. However, the reduced weight and increased power are pretty exciting as well.

Greg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, sort of. 22 psi is simply the maximum you can read through the OBD2 port (technically 22.x).
I saw some different numbers, but similar cadence.

Now that i got Torque Pro working with Android Auto I did some tests this evening on my way home from work.

I was seeing a peak of over 30 psi(it was only for a second but 33 psi) at points in D mode flooring it in 5th gear from like 30 mph. It then held around 27, then down to 23. In N I saw it peak at about 26, then hold at 23 then 20. The most interesting part was in A it will peak at about 16, but then almost immediately drops to 12 and never goes over that.

This was in various areas of the LA valley from PCH to Topanga to Simi Valley... so from about 100 - 800 ft above sea level.

The other bit that is really nice is ECU provides access to the wideband AFR values. Most other cars I've had only had a narrowband so it wasn't particularly useful.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am a new owner of a Giulia Sport (RWD), noticed that at low rpm coasting when I ease off on gas, the engine produce a click-click-click noise, it is absent when in higher rpm. It almost sounds like diesel engine in idle.

I asked the sales when I was at the dealership pick up new plate, got some kind of answer saying this is the sound of injector firing ....

Just want to check with you senior members/owners if this is normal? Thank you in advance.

y(why)b(benz)b(bmw)a(audi) - (when u have alfa:)
2017 Giulia Sport

1 - 20 of 20 Posts