Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 5500 rpm limit on the 2.0T engine seems low compared to other cars in it's category.

I'm wondering why it's limited to 5500 and if the power output could be increased if it ran at a higher rpm. Based on some published data, it looks like the torque drops off quickly over 5000 rpm so some hardware modifications might be required. Bigger turbo?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
More a torquer than a screamer. Kind of reminds me of BMW's old "eta" engine. Works well with the transmission. Not hard to adjust driving style.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
More a torquer than a screamer. Kind of reminds me of BMW's old "eta" engine. Works well with the transmission. Not hard to adjust driving style.
The set-up with the Multiair cylinder head favors higher torque (lower RPMS) vs higher horse power (higher RPMs).
Class leading torque for 2.0 turbo 4s.
My guess is that when the tuner ECUs arrive for the 2.0s, the maximum RPM will be between 500-1000 RPMs higher.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
The 5500 rpm limit on the 2.0T engine seems low compared to other cars in it's category.

I'm wondering why it's limited to 5500 and if the power output could be increased if it ran at a higher rpm. Based on some published data, it looks like the torque drops off quickly over 5000 rpm so some hardware modifications might be required. Bigger turbo?
I'm not sure what dictates the redline, but according to one European tuner the engine will rev past 5750 RPM, but not to 6000 RPM. Perhaps a Ferrari-ism, since Ferrari also allows the engine to rev a little past the marked redline. I believe the owners manual says that the maximum RPM is a bit over 6000 RPM; this is presumably for engine braking purposes. When accelerating hard in 1st or 2nd it is possible that the tachometer is not keeping up with the engine, so the indication may be lower.

Anyway, why does the RPM matter if the engine makes enough power?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Ahmmm, the US Giulia 2.0's redline is 6000, not 5500. Look closely at the tach, it's a bit confusing at first glance, but the red line is where the solid red appears, and you can hold it to 6000 manually.

Greg

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that the 2.0 is a great engine and we probably don't need higher rpm. But I do love the sound of an engine at 6500-7000 rpm. Maybe I need to play an audio recording of a formula one car while I'm driving.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
How much more satisfied would you be if the Giulia's tachometer had the same engine but, say, a 7500 rpm redline and made shriekingly good sounds even if both were total lies?

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

Looking at the June Motor Trend comparo, the listed MAXIMUM HP and TORQUE @ RPMs, and then "REDLINE" for each car tested:

Giulia - 280hp @ 5200 306lb-ft @ 2000 6100rpm
Audi A4 - 252 @ 5000 273 @ 1600 6800
Cadillac ATS 272 @ 5500 295 @ 3000 6500
Jaguar XE 240 @ 5500 251 @ 1750 6500
Lexus IS 241 @ 5800 258 @ 1650 6200
M-B C300 241 @ 4000 273 @ 1300 6300

As you see, the Giulia makes the most HP and Torque.
It also makes it mid-pack in the RPM range.
As for Redline, it is the lowest, with all within 700RPMs of each other.
In most circumstances, while driving on the road, there is no good reason to spin your engine past the point where it is making maximum power.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A big part of my thrill when driving is wringing a car through the gears at high rpm. This is part and parcel to any sporting driving environment. My 2000 Alfa 156 turbodiesel revved to 5,000. And my 1999 Alfa 146 twin spark, 1.6 had a 7,000 rev limit. What's up with this new engine (multiair head notwithstanding) with a rev limit of only 6,000 or so? Even when set to dynamic mode at full throttle acceleration, the current Giulia sounds like its short shifting all the time. I'm going to pull the trigger soon but will await the rumored Veloce variant.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Honestly, this car is brutally fun and I haven't even hit red-line yet (at least on my newer one). It's really not even necessary.

Sounds like some folks on here just need need more sound AKA an intake/exhaust.

Its funny, I've been on forums where the guys with the high revving engines complain about how they really need to ring the car out to get power. People always going complain.

·
Registered
399 Posts
That’s true

I’d rather get my power down low in a usable power band on the street rather then having to go to 7K plus to get performance. So I say if it works don’t fix it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I like the low-level torque that the Giulia has. The lower redline was odd to me at first (like, will I hit it all the time), but the transmission prevents that while seemingly getting the full torque at low levels.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I always leave the damm radio off and tell the wife to keep quiet and 5000 rpm's with the paddles sounds wonderful to my ears! >:)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If rev’s are what you want, buy an S2000. 9,000 rpm redline, no power below 6,000...I’ll keep the Giulia.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Wish I could remember who said "the car companies advertise horsepower, but you drive torque".

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
Making Music with Giulia: New and VERY satisfying

I too, love a screamer. This G-car is more of a thunder-er. Here are some wonderful movements from her symphony:

(mind you, the Centerline Magnaflow resonator-only and Eurocompulsion V2 intake and P1 tune really turn sweet wispering into a crescendo. My comments are with those, especially)

- WOT 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd with Pops and Crackles at 5,900 RPM.
- Blow-off-valve when you lift counterpoints the V2 whoosh, something you have to roll windows down to appreciate fully. Even better with a retaining wall to reflect the sound off!
- (with or without mods) AWESOME rev-matching downshifts in any gear. Really sings when you brake hard and pop the - paddle at about 4,500 RPM.
- at apex, roll on the power to WOT in a sharp marked 25mph turn, pull .9+G’s, exit the turn at 5,000 RPM, bang the + for a 5,700 RPM Shift into 4th. Sweet music!! Tires singing, Braaap of V2, and tuned music from the pipes. Do this in a canyon with windows down. mmmmmgood

Bravo Alfa!

Reactions: Il_Conte

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
My brain keeps straying back to my Norton Commando:

Peak HP @ 7000RPM
Redline 7000RPM
Valve guides melt 7050RPM

Don't miss a shift...

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
whoops... hello rev limiter!!

forgot i had selected M mode and went to show my brother the 1 to 2 pops when autoshifting.

bounced off Revlimiter twice before i pulled the paddle for M2. it is indeed at 6,200 rpm. twice. ouch.:surprise::frown2:

See the technical specs for the 2.0l Turbo 4 here ... https://www.alfaromeousa.com/cars/giulia#performance

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is not your typical over-square motor. It has a longer stroke than bore, which is quite unusual in this time of lower emmissions. With the twin scroll turbo matched to this engine design, we have a wide power band that is easily accessed. On unfamiliar roads you can ride the torque curve and embarrass cars with 100 more horsepower that need to be revved higher to take advantage of that extra power. It makes it easier to drive smooth and keep the power to the ground. The Giulia is a well designed car that surpasses the sum of its parts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts