Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my track day experience, see this: http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/7...58-2-0t-goes-track-day-impressions-video.html

This is related to autocrossing/cone-dodging.

First, the car -- super basic, base of the base models, Giulia 2.0T RWD. No LSD, no real options.
Modifications are as follows:
- Eibach pro-kit springs
- Katana Wheels, 18x8 wheels +35
- 5mm front spacers and 10mm rear spacers
- Wheel lug kit
- Federal 595 RS-R tires, 245 all around

As the car sits, it should be a STX car -- maybe even a STU?

The event was in Las Vegas, perfect conditions. Course was long, with the FTD at 64.4, while the normal drivers were in the 68-69 range, with the slowest drivers doing mid 80s. We got a total of 9 runs that day.

The course had a lot of slalom bits, switch backs, and more slalom bits. Not exactly a challenging course, nor a fast one... pretty standard stuff. Highest speed was around 65-70mph, with only one slalom being a WOT portion.

After driving the course in the morning in my blahblah, I went home, switched cars, and came back out in the afternoon with the Giulia. I did exactly two runs before switching to my SO's car, because it was a frustrating experience.

Why? Because the TC/Stability intervention is far far far more involved at low speed autocrosses. At autocrosses, I like to get the car to rotate a little, under throttle and steer out of each element. You simply cannot do this with the 2.0T.

The systems do allow SOME slip angle, but it will cut in just as you start getting the car to rotate. You could try softer lines, but at an autocross, you don't have the width of the lanes to take a wider entry/exit like you could at a track ... so you find yourself using the throttle to help rotate the car.

Besides the utter inability to get the car to power out of a corner, the car does almost everything else really well. The car does very well thru the quick transitions, braking is always been a strong point, and the car gets off the starting line really well. Even corner entry, the car is super composed ... you can feel what the front tires are doing.

But, once you start applying the throttle to get it out of the corner, the TC/Stability kicks in right when the rear starts to rotate.
My morning runs were all in the 69-71 range, albeit with a car that makes more power than the QV and weighs as much as a 4C.
My runs in the Giulia were both 78s...

My endless griping about the TC/Stability will never be solved, so I have come to terms that the 2.0T cars should never be used in an autocross capacity and only seldom used for track duty, unless someone comes up with a TC defeat device soon. Although, it can be amazing good fun for your canyon runs.

I can't speak to the effectiveness of the lowering springs, I do know they have added a little bit of camber, which helps -- but I can't validate that since I haven't done any aggressive driving with the car at stock height.

CN: 2.0T are terrible for autocrossing until there's a TC/stability defeat device.

Reactions: Roo

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,790 Posts
Any thoughts on how much a limited slip differential might have helped?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
other than going FWD, i think this is the stupidest thing Alfa has done.
strangely both have almost the same effect - could it be that we have a generation of drivers and engineers who grew up in their parents fwd cars, thinking that was normal, and now they make cars that can't oversteer to accomodate the misguided "youth"?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I agree. But just one thing.. I'm not sure why you are mounting square 245 setup. If you want some oversteer maybe you should go with the standard 225/255 staggered setup. Or, even fatter tires like the QV which is 245/285. More grip will also prevent sliding (which is the opposite of what you're trying to do) but at least it won't trigger TC out of the curve...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any thoughts on how much a limited slip differential might have helped?
It definitely would help, but the issue would still occur once you got too much slip angle... and then the nannies kick in.

I agree. But just one thing.. I'm not sure why you are mounting square 245 setup.
Two reasons: Car came with a square setup and ease of tire rotation.

Or, even fatter tires like the QV which is 245/285. More grip will also prevent sliding (which is the opposite of what you're trying to do) but at least it won't trigger TC out of the curve...
Might be worth a try, although I believe TC/stability would still interfere.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
more traction from width/stickiness or road surface means the nannies will kick in at higher speeds.
for street use it's quite possible to go sticky enough to pretty much avoid it, but on the track one should be increasing their speed until that (or something else) limits you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It seems none of the 2.0T cars have an lsd unless you order one that way. I had a hard time finding one so I have up and found one in the show room that had 99% of what I wanted.
No one has gone digging into the fuses or finding the yaw sensor ? :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
It seems none of the 2.0T cars have an lsd unless you order one that way. I had a hard time finding one so I have up and found one in the show room that had 99% of what I wanted.
Im getting ready to start my third season of autocross. My TI Sport does have the limited slip diff and 19” rubber. After the break in period is up I will take it to one of the club autox events and report back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Im getting ready to start my third season of autocross. My TI Sport does have the limited slip diff and 19” rubber. After the break in period is up I will take it to one of the club autox events and report back.
Will you be attending any of the CCR events at ZMAX?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Will you be attending any of the CCR events at ZMAX?
Hi:

Questionable at this point. I'm cutting my track stuff way back this year (hopefully only this year) for two reasons - got a boy ready to start college ($$$$) and of course have to thoroughly break in the Alfa before it takes any track or autox. My MG can be autoxed any time but is no good for track due to lacking a roll bar.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can understand that. If you've never been before, ZMAX is an excellent venue for autox. Courses are long, technical, and allow for adequate speed. I'll keep my eye out for any Giulias that show up this season or next.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I suspect that would allow the car to rotate better in a tight auto x type course.
I’m new to all this, but I’m guessing that by the time the Veloce appears such a feature will be available.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,790 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts