Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

161 - 180 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Also you are most likely driving it a lot more aggressive than you would normally. I can’t blame you. The car handles great. Maybe that is accounting for some low MPG?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I just finished driving a full tank in A mode. I've always kept the car in N mode so I wanted to see what difference A mode would make on the mileage. My last tank in N mode was 23.7 mpg. The mileage in A mode was 23.67; a difference of only .03, which essentially is identical. I was very surprised to see it made no difference whatsoever. It may have been that I was pushing the pedal further to get it to go, or it just doesn't matter driving around town. My commute is all stop-n-go city streets so those figures are without any freeway miles. I have the Eurocompulsion V2 intake and Phase 1 tune on the car. I also have wheels that are 6.4 lbs lighter than the factory Lusso wheels that came with the car; I put Blizzaks on those for my winter set.

For commuting I'm just going to use N mode. From what I've read by those who've used it, A mode seems to be useful on long trips, but around town it didn't make any difference at all.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I got my 2018 Giulia Q2 last weekend, filled up 3 times only drove about 250-300 miles, averaging 12-14mpg. This is HORRIBLE. My RC350 was a 6 cylinder and I got 18mpg. YES I do drive on Dynamic, manual mode the whole time and am an aggressive driver, but this is REALLY BAD. I'll give it 2 more weeks before going back to complain. I just went back 2 days ago to inflate the tires... No excuse to get less than 15mg in a 4 cylinder vehicle.
Try putting it in N mode and leave it in drive; don't use the manual. Try this for one tank and see what difference it makes. If the mileage is still bad, (12-14 is NOT typical) then there's an issue with the car. It might need software updates. What brand of gas are you using? Might try switching; I use Chevron Premium exclusively but any top tier name brand gas should be good, i.e. Shell, Texaco, etc. I'd avoid the bargain brands.

I would also check the air filter to make sure it's clean. Those are the only things I can think of right off the top of my head. You should definitely be getting better mileage than that. My last tank which was all city driving commute, I went 289 miles on 12.224 gallons which is typical, and I have the AWD model which is supposed to be 1 mpg less than the RWD model.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I got my 2018 Giulia Q2 last weekend, filled up 3 times only drove about 250-300 miles, averaging 12-14mpg. This is HORRIBLE. My RC350 was a 6 cylinder and I got 18mpg. YES I do drive on Dynamic, manual mode the whole time and am an aggressive driver, but this is REALLY BAD. I'll give it 2 more weeks before going back to complain. I just went back 2 days ago to inflate the tires... No excuse to get less than 15mg in a 4 cylinder vehicle.
Some good suggestions have been made.
- Check the air filter
- Check the tire pressure
- Use high octane fuel, 91 or 93.
- Stay in one DNA mode.
- Take note of highway / city use.
- Calculate the MPG your self, the in-car fuel average is very wrong.

If your calculations prove that the MPG is actually terrible, let your dealer address it.

We have a 2017 Ti Q2 that get excellent highway mileage. City use could be a bit better, but I such a hard time keeping my foot out of the throttle...

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Lets get some data:

1) Fuel used and octane

2) Tire pressures

3) Type of driving (city/highway/mountain)

4) Average trip distance

And a suggestion: Put it in D Auto and leave the shift levers alone and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I get maybe 14mpg in my quad. But I drive it hard. So it’s expected. If your really on it then it’s very possible to have low mpg especially while engine is new. First few fill ups seemed quick to me also. Again I drive hard. Accelerate fast. Break hard etc.

Most of the advice that was given already should give you an idea and help you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I recently took a 2500 mile road trip and I averaged about 43 MPG driving with the selector in D and driving between 75 and 85 MPH

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I’ve been getting 12 mph lately and car is running fast.
Hopefully you meant 12 mpg.

Anyway, 24 MPG low, 33 MPG high in my Q4, almost all highway driving.

Sustained high speed driving and canyon carving really eat into the MPG.
I get indicated 30MPG at 75MPH on the straight and level.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Okay, I don't understand any of this.
I get 11 or 12 driving normal and as low as 7 or 8 with some aggressive driving.
The best I've ever gotten was like 30 on a road trip with cruise control on the whole time at 70.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I get 11 or 12 driving normal and as low as 7 or 8 with some aggressive driving.
The best I've ever gotten was like 30 on a road trip with cruise control on the whole time at 70.
Sounds like there is a problem with your car. No way mileage should be that low.

·
Registered
383 Posts
After a few more months of ownership to chime in on, with my daily work commute being 45 miles, for 5 days a week making a 225 mile weekly usage at minimum, maybe add 15 miles for odds & ends and let's say i drive 240 miles during the weekdays. In that time, I use about 11 gallons of fuel on average unless I drive spiritedly. Thus, I'm averaging about 22mpg. My work commute is almost zero highway, but it's not densely-packed urban areas either. Think stoplights every mile or so with some traffic and occasional backups. I'm not a very conservative driver on my work commute so 22mpg is nice, all things considered.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Averaging 28.7 over my 1st 1200 miles. Half highway/half local driving; split between D & N.
Greg
That's about the same as what I've been seeing over the same 1200 miles. One tank was mostly highway driving and over 30 mpg. most recent tank is about 25.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
The in-dash fuel monitoring isn't very accurate. I suggest you track your MPG the old school way.

- Fill the tank and write down the mileage.
- Put on 100 miles or so, whatever your normal driving is.
- Fill the tank and write down the mileage and fuel.
- Do the math by hand.

MPG = (new mileage - old mileage) / fuel
12.72 = (1012 - 900) / 8.8

For my example:
- 8.8 gallons was filled at the second fuel stop
- First mileage was 900
- Second mileage was 1012
- The formula answer is 12.72 MPG

Hopefully you'll get better numbers than my example.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I’ve been getting 12 mph lately and car is running fast.
Hopefully you meant 12 mpg.

Anyway, 24 MPG low, 33 MPG high in my Q4, almost all highway driving.

Sustained high speed driving and canyon carving really eat into the MPG.
I get indicated 30MPG at 75MPH on the straight and level.
Yes. Mpg. Autocorrect got me. I also would say my qv combined city/highway is about 17-18. Now if you put it in A and cruise control going 65 I’m sure you can get high 20s low 30s.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Sounds like there is a problem with your car. No way mileage should be that low.
If he’s driving the car aggressively like I do then I’m sure his numbers are spot on. In race mode I think I’m at 7mpg. But I’ve never bought a car based on gas milieage. Owning trucks my whol life kind of just deal with it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've been tracking the mileage since new using the "My Firestone" app, into which you have to enter the odometer reading, gallons filled and price paid when you fill up. The last fill up I achieved 20.5 MPG, and 22 overall average since new. I've basically only driven about 200 highway miles in that time.

·
Registered
184 Posts
In my daily driver, I average around 27 mpg.

161 - 180 of 217 Posts