Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

181 - 200 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
lol @RacerZ, trust me, I'm waaay ahead of you. Been doing that since the day I got my Giulia. Here are few of my tracked fill-ups, all about 50/50 mixed city and highway, in A Mode 75% of the time and occasionally N or D for some fun / to "pass" cars.

...couldn't possibly imagine what I would be getting if I always just left her in Dynamic like some people on here do.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Average 19MPG over mostly suburban driving with very little highway mileage mostly in A or N. D used only for the days somebody is being a runt in a needlessly noisy 370Z and I need to put them back in their place.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I only drive in D. Most of my miles are back roads (Giulia is not my DD). I am not a gentle driver - I only drive "spiritedly".>:) I have a bit over 4K miles. My mileage has been 24-25 mpg.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
lol @RacerZ, trust me, I'm waaay ahead of you. Been doing that since the day I got my Giulia. Here are few of my tracked fill-ups, all about 50/50 mixed city and highway, in A Mode 75% of the time and occasionally N or D for some fun / to "pass" cars.

...couldn't possibly imagine what I would be getting if I always just left her in Dynamic like some people on here do.
Something is seriously wrong with your car. Have a competent Alfa service center look it over.
You should be getting about twice as many miles/gallon for the conditions that you have described. If the car is running normally I would suspect a fuel leak, which of course is extremely dangerous.

Was your fuel gauge on E and red when you added 15 gallons?

·
Registered
94 Posts

If you put 15.2 gallons in the tank, you had less than 2 cups of fuel left in the tank. I'm assuming Alfa's spec and the pump at your gas station are accurate. Do you always fill up at the same station? The most I have ever put in my Q2 is 13.5 gallons and car was warning me I was very low.

I drive 75% in N, 20% in D, and 5% in A. Driving 50% highway and 50% suburban and light city traffic, I have achieved 26.7 mpg over 4,600+ miles. I always calculate the milage every time I fill up.

By best milage for a tank, mixed highway and suburban, was 30.4. My worst, suburban, city, and 15% highway was 22.1.

If the gas pump(s) you fill from are accurate, Lockem is correct and you have a big problem.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'd agree with you guys but the fuel economy in my Stelvio is marginally better at around 14-15 mpg city and 20-21 mpg highway, which leads me to believe that there likely isn't anything wrong with my Giulia, given that I drive it much harder.

As far as the 15-gallon fill-ups and concern about the accuracy of the gas pumps I've been using goes... Yes, I drove the car as close to empty as possible (it was totally on E and Red) and I highly doubt there's an issue with the gas station I selected to conduct these tests. While it is true that I used the exact pump for a majority of those tests (for consistency's sake), I have also filled up at other gas stations, which yielded extremely similar results.

Did my entire daily commute today (almost all highway) in D Mode just to see what would happen. Even though traffic was quite heavy, I was mostly moving at around 25-30 mph and was not accelerating hard at every single opportunity I got... I achieved a whopping 9.7 mpg on my 35-mile commute!

Oh Well...
I'm gonna stop assuming that there's anything wrong with my car and start assuming that you guys are just babying the crap out of yours.
It's a fun car. Enjoy it!

I stopped tracking my fuel economy for the simple fact that it was hindering my ability to enjoy this car to its full potential.
Highly recommend some of you guys do the same and stop thinking about it or at least push your car to the limit for a day and share the results on here after.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Drive it like you stole it and enjoy! All you can do. I think avg about 7 mpg in race mode and 12-14 in D mode. Gas station 3 times a week! It is what it is

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oh Well...
I'm gonna stop assuming that there's anything wrong with my car and start assuming that you guys are just babying the crap out of yours.
It's a fun car. Enjoy it!
I leave mine in Dynamic all the time and I drive it pretty hard using paddles. I typically average 21-24 mpg per tank depending on the hwy/city ratio. Cruising on the highway in D and I average around 28-30. City is typically 19-22.

·
Registered
94 Posts
JohnnyTheBeast wrote:

"Oh Well...
It's a fun car. Enjoy it!"

From my house, I can get onto the road in these photographs, California Route 1, in about ten minutes. Do you still believe I am "just babying the crap" out of Giulia?

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I get about 19MPG driving the whole length of this, out and back (easy downhill part shown). From the gas station, 6000 feet up (the video shows about 2000 feet of this), 3000 feet down, then reversed going back. Pulling up to 1g in the turns, hammering the accelerator between turns, etc etc. Only getting 22MPG in the downhill sections due to brake and hard accelerate for each turn. I am fairly confident that SR-1 is not nearly as fuel economy challenging.

Maybe I'll post my own once I get my Blackvue up and running. Gotta turn off the GPS readings with MPH though...

Giulia chugs fuel when cold. If you are making a lot of short trips the fuel economy is going to be really bad.

·
Registered
407 Posts
@lockem 19 mpg during that drive makes sense to me. open road. pretty consistent speeds. no stopping at all.

What doesn't make sense to me is 40 mpg on the highway and 30 in the city, driving it "hard" in D mode.

Either our definitions of hard are different or the city's we live in are nothing alike.

btw, I kinda do make a bunch of short trips.
My daily commute is about 12 to 15 miles each way and I often take short 2 to 3 mile trips throughout the day and on weekends.

The problem is that even if I didn't use my Giulia for those shorter trips, I'd still be averaging 15 or 16 mpg at best...
There are soo many days that I go straight to school and back, driving as gingerly as possible in A mode, get caught in some traffic on the way home and end up averaging just over 12 mpg during those 30 miles (24 miles of highway + 6 miles of city).

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Giulia chugs fuel when cold. If you are making a lot of short trips the fuel economy is going to be really bad.
I can attest to this. My work commute is 15 minutes, and combined with the cold weather here, it rarely gives me an average MPG above 20.. unless I take long trips. Then I see 30+

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
My long-term driving is short city trips and a 5 day a week, 30 miles round-trip on both surface streets and highways. Average MPG since new is about 24.2, time in any mode by D is less than 100 miles out of 17k. Average highway cruise is 80, when traffic allows, and otherwise working through traffic as able, plenty of throttle movement. I run mainly in automatic shifting mode, with little paddle use, so that probably aides the fuel economy.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
@lockem 19 mpg during that drive makes sense to me. open road. pretty consistent speeds. no stopping at all.

What doesn't make sense to me is 40 mpg on the highway and 30 in the city, driving it "hard" in D mode.

Either our definitions of hard are different or the city's we live in are nothing alike.

btw, I kinda do make a bunch of short trips.
My daily commute is about 12 to 15 miles each way and I often take short 2 to 3 mile trips throughout the day and on weekends.

The problem is that even if I didn't use my Giulia for those shorter trips, I'd still be averaging 15 or 16 mpg at best...
There are soo many days that I go straight to school and back, driving as gingerly as possible in A mode, get caught in some traffic on the way home and end up averaging just over 12 mpg during those 30 miles (24 miles of highway + 6 miles of city).
I do not recollect anyone saying they get 30 city 40 highway while driving hard. Did I miss something? The only way I can get 40 MPG is downhill and very gentle--I got 75 MPG over 10 miles on the gauge once that way, but not very useful/practical information.

For a short while I did my commute in Giulia: 5 miles to work (cold start), 10 miles to Hospital (cold start), 10 miles home (warm start). This relatively gentle drive averaged about 24 MPG--similar to either my Crosstrek or my Protege. I normally do my commute on my bicycle but the Hospital is a bit far for that and my bicycle is undergoing major surgery to replace a worn out drive train.

My last uphill run from East Sonora over Sonora Pass got me a reading of 17 MPG -- the worst I have gotten so far. Winter gas in California is supposed to yield better fuel economy <sigh>. It was colder than usual, maybe that was having a negative effect? Also the road was slightly damp, although to me that seems unlikely to alter fuel economy.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,533 Posts
In the past 213 miles since the UA4 and U76 recalls, I’m at 19.2mpg average at 26mph average.

I don’t recall what I posted earlier upthread, but I think it’s a little better, probably because of the slightly higher-than-typical ratio of hwy to cty miles over that mileage.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I can attest to this. My work commute is 15 minutes, and combined with the cold weather here, it rarely gives me an average MPG above 20.. unless I take long trips. Then I see 30+
Similar. My commuting average is about 22 mpg and 30+ highway is common. Under 20 while running errands is typical.

40 mpg makes sense if the gallons are imperial.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I can get pretty close to 40 mpg in N mode with adaptive cruise control set to around 75 mph.

@lockem 40 in N w/ CC

I get like 30-ish with cruise control set at 60. If I set it any higher than 65, it quickly starts to go under 30 mpg.
Plus, that's in A mode, for what it counts.

·
Registered
253 Posts
@lockem 40 in N w/ CC

I get like 30-ish with cruise control set at 60. If I set it any higher than 65, it quickly starts to go under 30 mpg.
Plus, that's in A mode, for what it counts.
Just for a little more reference...my range one read 555 miles on a full tank with cruise control set to I believe 79 mph in N mode. So I guess not quite 40 when I do the math exactly but still close and definately more than the advertised mpg from Alfa.

181 - 200 of 217 Posts