Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding the 2.0T Giulia, there seems to be a big gap between the EPA rated 24/33/27 mpg (city/highway/combined), and the Motor Trend tested numbers of 28/38/32 mpg:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/alfa-romeo/giulia/2017/alfa-romeo-giulia-bmw-330i-audi-a4-mercedes-benz-c300-cadillac-ats-jaguar-xe-lexus-is-200t-infiniti-q50-volvo-s60-comparison/

You don't see this delta in the other cars of the comparison test; the numbers are all within 1 or 2 mpg.

All the Giulia/Giulia Ti owners out there, what's your real-life MPG like? Do you see any noticeable change in efficiency when you switch between DNA modes?

·
Registered
155 Posts
After 600 miles of mixed city/rural driving I am getting close to the EPA 27 combined number.

When going from "D" to "N" to "A" mode, each step will cause the transmission to upshift sooner during acceleration which should provide better mileage in stop and go situations. I doubt it will affect mileage during highway cruise.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've put a mix of city and highway for the last 1500 miles with an average of 27mpg so far, I tend to switch into A only on the highway once I'm at cruising speed, switch it to D to pass, and will place it on N when there is moderate to heavy traffic..

·
Registered
242 Posts
When going from "D" to "N" to "A" mode, each step will cause the transmission to upshift sooner during acceleration which should provide better mileage in stop and go situations. I doubt it will affect mileage during highway cruise.
"D" could affect highway mileage if it locks out 8th gear, as I believe it does on BMWs.
I would expect no difference between "N" and "A" on highway.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Once the general amount is getting that 27 or close to it, I think that's great as it wasn't overshot as a spec or anything like that.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've put a mix of city and highway for the last 1500 miles with an average of 27mpg so far, I tend to switch into A only on the highway once I'm at cruising speed, switch it to D to pass, and will place it on N when there is moderate to heavy traffic..
What would you say the divide is like between City and Highway driving? 25% city and 75% highway?

Also what are you driving habits like once in the city?

I find that those two questions help a lot in understanding the make up of someones MPG rating, among all the other variables.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am getting just under 25 MPG. Maybe 1/2 highway driving. Sometimes I leave the auto off at full stop activated, sometimes I turn it off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What would you say the divide is like between City and Highway driving? 25% city and 75% highway?

Also what are you driving habits like once in the city?

I find that those two questions help a lot in understanding the make up of someones MPG rating, among all the other variables.
Driving is 80%higway20%city(mostly heavy traffic in the city). so in the city I tend to not be the guy switching lanes 5 times to gain one car length, i take it easy 99% of the time. Also I turn off the stop start function 95% of the time.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm averaging about 26.5 overall over 2000 miles. On a mostly highway commuter morning of about 10 miles I will average about 32 mpg in N or A mode. I have seen a best of 38 on a 25 mile highway drive at about 70 mph. Everytime I've tried to run her on the paddle shifters I lose the mileage game unless its a straight stretch in M8 all the way!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took a run in my 2.0 T today in Dynamic mode, driving like Miss Daisy. Gearchange around 2000rpm and never went above 50mph. At one point it achieved 40.4mpg but for the whole journey, around 20 miles 39.4mpg. I'm sure it will do much more on a long Motorway run, but you've got to be barely using the throttle to get anywhere near the official figures.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I took a run in my 2.0 T today in Dynamic mode, driving like Miss Daisy. Gearchange around 2000rpm and never went above 50mph. At one point it achieved 40.4mpg but for the whole journey, around 20 miles 39.4mpg. I'm sure it will do much more on a long Motorway run, but you've got to be barely using the throttle to get anywhere near the official figures.
Are those imperial gallons, Dave?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a little over 5K miles on my Ti in Houston. Anyone who knows Houston knows that there is stop and go traffic but plenty of highway driving as well. With my car in "D" since day one i'm averaging 25 MPG... and I drive hard!!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
spent about 180 miles on the way to Oceana, pretty constant speed between 70 and 80, car said average 38.1 mph for the trip, whole time in N but despite solid speed it is just boring drive in 8th gear....mileage is however quite impressive for a 2L with 280HP....my average for the last 2300 miles is 25.1 and also like to push it around rural roads in D, am in stop and go traffic often and have occasional constant speed trip on hwy in N

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Doesn't the A setting allow a reduced firing pattern to reduce fuel use? That is clearly true with the QV, less clear with the 2.0T.

1 - 20 of 217 Posts