Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tuners start playing with E85 in the Giulia? I wonder if the ECU has stock flex fuel capabilities ?

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Its not a good idea, its not designed or intended to run E85.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bummer. I've been spoiled from always working on Japanese cars. The 2.0 wants to get up and go, I know she has it in her! Maybe we can switch the e in e85 to espresso.. lol.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Would basically need to redo the fuel lines and add a e85 sensor for flex fuel along with ecu tuning. One day I hope.. e85 is basically free power without any drawbacks from harming the motor.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would basically need to redo the fuel lines and add a e85 sensor for flex fuel along with ecu tuning. One day I hope.. e85 is basically free power without any drawbacks from harming the motor.
Basically the standard recipe for JDM cars. Pump, lines, injectors, bolt on's and tuning. FF sensor if you've upgraded your ECU and want to be fancy. So long the powertrain is stout, it can potentially put the 2.0 in stock QV WHP territory. That... that would be awesome :)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Hopefully one day... I have a shop that use to do advanced tuning for my FRS and did amazing work. They just need Giulia ECU flashing tech but unfortunately it looks like ECU's can only get unlocked when replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its not a good idea, its not designed or intended to
Basically the standard recipe for JDM cars. Pump, lines, injectors, bolt on's and tuning. FF sensor if you've upgraded your ECU and want to be fancy. So long the powertrain is stout, it can potentially put the 2.0 in stock QV WHP territory. That... that would be awesome :)
given the fuel line composition can not take the corrosive nature of the fuel it might not need changing. I ran e85 on a stock fuel system not intended for e85 (pump - engine bay) for 4 yrs no issues. But I agree with u 100% I pray someone gets motivated to make this happen. Only limitations I can see is like u mentioned pump injectors tune and then turbo. correct me if I’m wrong but the car comes with steel liners aswell so it should make jam no problem.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,744 Posts
Read post 826. Replace fuel pump, fuel lines, turbo, intercooler, lots of custom work.
He appears to have a EC intake mated to an AFE filter box.

·
Banned
10/2017 Giulia Ti Q2
172 Posts
@Sampson0420 advantages are higher octane rating, main advantage.

Not designed to run ethanol yet theres 10% ethanol in most American fuel. My wrx wasnt designed to run on ethanol but it boogies just fine 22k miles worth of so far.

It should work without a problem on e30-40 blend and be at about 400-450hp mark with proper tuning. No excuses from tuners who are able to tune for it but choose not to. Its a shame. My wrx gained 90whp from a 91oct tune to e50 tune. Havent used 91oct for 2 years and dont plan to unless we run out of e.

Attached is my VD of three maps, cobb stg0 (oem map), custom tune stg2 and custom tune e50. Data speaks for itself. Same car same mods, just different calibrations. Numbers are awhp.

·
Vendor
227 Posts
Hey Terry, I’ve Ben searching the forums trying to understand common practices and advantages to e85 mix... can you point me in the right direction?
E85 is like cheap race gas but takes up around 30% more fuel volume so the tuning and fuel hardware has to be able to accomidate the extra volume. With the JB4 we support up to 30% E85 which will make 91 octane act like ~96 octane, for example.

·
Banned
237 Posts
E85 is like cheap race gas but takes up around 30% more fuel volume so the tuning and fuel hardware has to be able to accomidate the extra volume. With the JB4 we support up to 30% E85 which will make 91 octane act like ~96 octane, for example.
I have access to 93 octane and e85 in Annapolis Md. Is this safe to do on the regular or just special occasions like track days? What should I expect performance wise?

Do I need to change the map on the JB4? I’m currently running map2 on the reg without issue. Thanks for the info Terry and DJ!

·
Registered
114 Posts
In the ECM flash there are compensation maps for E25 and E100, but I still cannot figure if they're used for something or not in our engine.

·
Banned
10/2017 Giulia Ti Q2
172 Posts
In the ECM flash there are compensation maps for E25 and E100, but I still cannot figure if they're used for something or not in our engine.
How are you able to see this? Mes or witech or something else? Tables to 25 and tables to 100? Are you able to see values set in these tables?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts