Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been some debate over early oil changes. I decided to collect a sample and send it to Blackstone labs for analysis to try and start building a knowledge base of oil conditions for the 2.0 engine. The results are attached for anyone who is interested. As the commentary points out there isn't much that can be learned from a single sample data point. But my engine appears to be in good shape post run in and its definitely going to be possible to get more miles out of this oil just as you would hope.

I don't know how best to collect this data but I'm hoping that other people may decide to get Blackstone labs analysis done on oil samples from their engines.

Thanks
Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,910 Posts
Hmmm, so the TBN (what does that stand for?) value indicates that there is a special break-in oil being used by AR?
The metal content may or may not indicate something that would warrant an oil change depending on if it is dissolved compounds, extremely fine particulates, or coarse particulates. Did Blackstone do a test for particulates and particulate size on the oil?

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
805 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hmmm, so the TBN (what does that stand for?) value indicates that there is a special break-in oil being used by AR?
The metal content may or may not indicate something that would warrant an oil change depending on if it is dissolved compounds, extremely fine particulates, or coarse particulates. Did Blackstone do a test for particulates and particulate size on the oil?
TBN = Total Base Number. Link to Blackstones site explaining it:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/do-i-need-a-tbn.php

·
Registered
547 Posts
There has been some debate over early oil changes. I decided to collect a sample and send it to Blackstone labs for analysis to try and start building a knowledge base of oil conditions for the 2.0 engine. The results are attached for anyone who is interested. As the commentary points out there isn't much that can be learned from a single sample data point. But my engine appears to be in good shape post run in and its definitely going to be possible to get more miles out of this oil just as you would hope.

I don't know how best to collect this data but I'm hoping that other people may decide to get Blackstone labs analysis done on oil samples from their engines.

Thanks
Alan
Thank you so much Alan, That is what makes this Forum so great. Is the unbiased and True Bloods and Gear Heads and Alfa-Maniacs! The folks willing to try new things and the visionaries not stuck in conformity.

·
Registered
529 Posts
For anyone who is interested, Blackstone will send you FREE oil collection kits and they are ridiculously worth it.

I do it for every car I own, including gearbox fluid.

What you do is:
- order the kit (they will send you 1 or 12 kits, just ask for what you need)
- when you're doing the oil change, fill up the container
- fill out the slip and either pay online or send a check ($28/sample)
- mail the kit in. If you do USPS, get the flat-rate priority envelope and try to fit as many samples in as you can for the low, low, cost of $7.
- wait a week or two and get an email of the result
- smile, knowing that you have a better understanding of the health of your engine and oil

I use the test results to determine oil weight, brand, and change cycle. Also great to have for when selling a car... as you can have all of the results available.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Alan, thanks for posting the test results!

I noticed your oil is low on Potassium. To prevent this issue in my Giulia,
I'll be shoving one banana down the fuel tank during every gasoline fill up!

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
Alan, thanks for posting the test results!

I noticed your oil is low on Potassium. To prevent this issue in my Giulia,
I'll be shoving one banana down the fuel tank during every gasoline fill up!
Now a days, one should shove a banana up the tail pipe.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
647 Posts
Now a days, one should shove a banana up the tail pipe.
OMG! Great comeback. I never thought of that.

(Sorry Alan, we really do appreciate your test results, just couldn't resist). :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No apology required just glad someone is reading the thread.

I reached my first service interval a little before 10,000 miles. I haven't had to add any oil between the change at 2k and this one. Just like last time I got the dealership to take a sample and sent it to Blackstone Labs for analysis. Other than the 'Romero' I'm very happy with the service Blackstone provides and it feels like a simple thing to keep an eye on what's happing inside the engine.

I use my Giulia as a daily driver and the commute is a mix of stop and go on surface streets and highway. I don't drive for max fuel economy just keeping up with (the faster) traffic. Of course there are some more fun road trips during the year but thats not the bulk of the miles.

The updated report is posted below and like they suggest my Ti will run the full 10k miles on this oil. The viscosity readings are interesting, I need to do a little more digging to understand whether Blackstone account for the 0W30 rating in their expected values.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
No apology required just glad someone is reading the thread.

I reached my first service interval a little before 10,000 miles. I haven't had to add any oil between the change at 2k and this one. Just like last time I got the dealership to take a sample and sent it to Blackstone Labs for analysis. Other than the 'Romero' I'm very happy with the service Blackstone provides and it feels like a simple thing to keep an eye on what's happing inside the engine.

I use my Giulia as a daily driver and the commute is a mix of stop and go on surface streets and highway. I don't drive for max fuel economy just keeping up with (the faster) traffic. Of course there are some more fun road trips during the year but thats not the bulk of the miles.

The updated report is posted below and like they suggest my Ti will run the full 10k miles on this oil. The viscosity readings are interesting, I need to do a little more digging to understand whether Blackstone account for the 0W30 rating in their expected values.
Alan,
Thanks for posting this information.
What oil and what filter were used on the first and second oil changes?
We know that Selenia Digitek is the factory installed oil. So that was the oil that was first tested.
Thanks,

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What oil and what filter were used on the first and second oil changes?
We know that Selenia Digitek is the factory installed oil. So that was the oil that was first tested.
Its whatever 0W30 the dealer has been told to use for 2.0 Giulia's. I will ask because it would be useful to be able to associate specific values with a specific oil.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Its whatever 0W30 the dealer has been told to use for 2.0 Giulia's. I will ask because it would be useful to be able to associate specific values with a specific oil.
I am speaking in general as obviously I don't know any details about you dealership, but, it would behoove you to ask about-investigate these details. No one should assume that the Dealership (or any other repair facility) is using the "proper manufacturer approved" parts. I have specific knowledge of Dealerships and Independents that knowingly use other-than-factory approved oils and other parts. It could because of depleted stock (of the proper parts), or simply cost savings. Yes, this is true, even at Alfa Dealerships. I have seen it! There are few Alfa approved engine oils for our Giulias available here in the US. There are several threads on this forum that list them. They must have the Fiat or Chrysler approved reference numbers.
Giulia 2.0 oil: Fiat ref. # 9.55535-GS1 or Chrysler ref. MS-13340 with filter Alfa # 04892339AA or Mopar MO-339
Giulia 2.9 oil: Fiat ref. # 9.55535-Z2 or Chrysler ref. MS-12991 with filter Alfa # 68335191AA

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I am speaking in general as obviously I don't know any details about you dealership, but, it would behoove you to ask about-investigate these details. No one should assume that the Dealership (or any other repair facility) is using the "proper manufacturer approved" parts. I have specific knowledge of Dealerships and Independents that knowingly use other-than-factory approved oils and other parts. It could because of depleted stock (of the proper parts), or simply cost savings. Yes, this is true, even at Alfa Dealerships. I have seen it! There are few Alfa approved engine oils for our Giulias available here in the US. There are several threads on this forum that list them. They must have the Fiat or Chrysler approved reference numbers.
Giulia 2.0 oil: Fiat ref. # 9.55535-GS1 or Chrysler ref. MS-13340 with filter Alfa # 04892339AA or Mopar MO-339
Giulia 2.9 oil: Fiat ref. # 9.55535-Z2 or Chrysler ref. MS-12991 with filter Alfa # 68335191AA
I specifically asked Alfa of Fort Worth what oil they use for the 2.0T and the service advisor checked in service and confirmed they use the Pennzoil Platinium 0w30 that meets the Fiat spec. That was good to hear, but I would ask any dealer what oil they are using when it’s a strange or unique spec called for.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
So for city/hwy driving, are we saying to stick to recommended intervals or test and react that way?
Rav,
There is much discussion (here, and elsewhere) on the topic of when to perform the first oil service on a new engine, as well as the "proper" interval after.
Many feel that it is worth the extra expense, and is beneficial, to change-out the original oil sooner than the suggested 10K interval. Possible debris from assembly, possible contamination from the incomplete combustion inherent with engines during the initial break-in period, are some of the reasons.
Because of the above reasons, some choose to perform the first oil service at 1K, or 2K, or 5K. After that, imo, if you have "normal" driving habits and use the approved engine oil, the 10K interval should be fine.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts