Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
All the symptoms of a bad starter relay seem to be there. I don’t know how to demand it, but that’s what they need to focus on. My dealer took care of it immediately.
Yeah I’m not sure how I can get them to replace it. I mentioned it but he said if it were failing it wouldn’t be intermittent. Maybe I just request it again or see if I can get Alfa Romeo customer care to get the to replace it even if they don’t think it’s the issue. Another 100 mile tow along with additional diagnostics has to me more expensive than replacing a relay.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I love the car, but I’m going to be afraid to drive it when I get it back. I did a ton of research on cars in this class before buying and felt comfortable buying the Giulia becuase it’s been touted as extremely reliable.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Any idea how much the relay costs? Even if they won’t cover it on warranty I might just ask for it to be replaced.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Any idea how much the relay costs? Even if they won’t cover it on warranty I might just ask for it to be replaced.
Sorry, I can't say. It was a couple years ago and I don't have the service receipt anymore. Asking your service shop for a quote might be a good way to keep pressing the issue. Tell them if it cures the issue you will expect a full refund. haha

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Starter Relays going bad seems to be the new trend, especially on cars that are a few years old and have some miles on them. Tell them you want it replaced, period. The attitude some of these dealers have is ridiculous.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The relay is pretty cheap, and replacing it is fairly easy. Part number is 6106093AA and is $5-ish bucks (shipping is actually more than the part).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Shoot at those prices I wouldn’t even quibble if I were the dealer. It’s probably 30M of labor to remove the wheel liner to get to it. Maybe I’m wrong but this seems like a super simple fix that could same them hours of diagnostic. It’s been in the shop long enough too that I think they’d want to avoid me calling up a lawyer for lemon law.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a similar start issue with my 2019 Giulia TI RWD that I’ve owned for just over a year with about 11k miles. My husband ran an errand and called me to say the car stopped at a light and couldn’t restart. I instructed him to turn off the start/stop (i usually do it but he doesn’t) and he said it took a minute but it restarted. That was about 3 months ago. Last week he went to the supermarket and came back and car wouldn’t start. All dash lights on (but engine light also came on), key fob was working but pushing start button and it wouldn’t start. He called again, i said try turning off auto start/stop again. He said that didn’t work but after about 5 minutes of trinkering he got her started and was able to get her home. Next morning, unable to start, again all lights coming on. I had the car towed to the dealership (tow driver tried to jump first to put into neutral but that didn’t work because car wouldn’t start). Had to call a different tow company with a wheel lift and dolly to get her to dealership. It was a Friday, so she stayed there for the weekend.
On Monday, dealership said they updated the software and it started right up. They said there were no codes and it started up each time for them with no problems (of course!)
Fast forward to last night, we had dinner with friends, I drove there and parked the car. About 4 hours later when we’re leaving, my husband takes the keys and goes to start the car, no luck (always seems to happen on his watch 😆). All lights were on (including engine light again) but no start and strangely, the driver side door would not stay closed after he opened it and got out and i got in to try starting. Luckily, the friend we were with is a car tech. After several tries and while waiting for Uber to arrive, boom, car starts. So we cancelled Uber and hustle home. Today, car is safely home and starts up each time.
Am I supposed to wait until this happens again at another inconvenient time before I get her back to the dealership? I sense they will tell me no codes, no fix but it seems to be such an issue, particularly, a safety issue for me and many others with this intermittent not starting that I would think nationwide they are prepared to acknowledge and fix this right away. I am almost sure from reading the other posts that I have a bad starter relay. I’m gonna need Alfa to step up and get this fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Yes, it appears totally consistent with the symptoms reported by many others that has been traced to bad starter relay. Supposedly a very cheap part, and not too difficult to install. I would take it to the dealer and insist that they replace. Get @AlfaRomeoCares involved in needed. Alfa needs to step up and be proactive here before someone gets killed after becoming stranded in the middle of the road.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I am having a similar start issue with my 2019 Giulia TI RWD that I’ve owned for just over a year with about 11k miles. My husband ran an errand and called me to say the car stopped at a light and couldn’t restart. I instructed him to turn off the start/stop (i usually do it but he doesn’t) and he said it took a minute but it restarted. That was about 3 months ago. Last week he went to the supermarket and came back and car wouldn’t start. All dash lights on (but engine light also came on), key fob was working but pushing start button and it wouldn’t start. He called again, i said try turning off auto start/stop again. He said that didn’t work but after about 5 minutes of trinkering he got her started and was able to get her home. Next morning, unable to start, again all lights coming on. I had the car towed to the dealership (tow driver tried to jump first to put into neutral but that didn’t work because car wouldn’t start). Had to call a different tow company with a wheel lift and dolly to get her to dealership. It was a Friday, so she stayed there for the weekend.
On Monday, dealership said they updated the software and it started right up. They said there were no codes and it started up each time for them with no problems (of course!)
Fast forward to last night, we had dinner with friends, I drove there and parked the car. About 4 hours later when we’re leaving, my husband takes the keys and goes to start the car, no luck (always seems to happen on his watch 😆). All lights were on (including engine light again) but no start and strangely, the driver side door would not stay closed after he opened it and got out and i got in to try starting. Luckily, the friend we were with is a car tech. After several tries and while waiting for Uber to arrive, boom, car starts. So we cancelled Uber and hustle home. Today, car is safely home and starts up each time.
Am I supposed to wait until this happens again at another inconvenient time before I get her back to the dealership? I sense they will tell me no codes, no fix but it seems to be such an issue, particularly, a safety issue for me and many others with this intermittent not starting that I would think nationwide they are prepared to acknowledge and fix this right away. I am almost sure from reading the other posts that I have a bad starter relay. I’m gonna need Alfa to step up and get this fixed ASAP.
sounds so similar to mine. I smell a potential recall coming on the starter relay. The dealer said it started right up and they’d update all software. I didn’t accept that as a diagnosis. The way I got them to investigate further was to point out that the Stary/Stop feature was not working as intended, indicating and underlying issue with the starter/software. If start/stop issue persist after update, that indicates the car is sensing some form or mechanical defect that is preventing it from working.

The dealer said they are working directly with the techs/engineers at corporate or whatever to diagnose. I was having some other work done (reseal transfer case and replace rack assembly and CV boot) that just got finished so they’ve only had a couple days now to do diagnose the starter issues.

The issue seems so common I think Alfa certainly needs to investigate this quickly. With the nearest dealer 90 miles away, starting issues are a dealbreaker for me and I’ll likely sell if it can’t be fully diagnosed. They’ve racked up 4K in rental car expenses so far on my car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes, it appears totally consistent with the symptoms reported by many others that has been traced to bad starter relay. Supposedly a very cheap part, and not too difficult to install. I would take it to the dealer and insist that they replace. Get @AlfaRomeoCares involved in needed. Alfa needs to step up and be proactive here before someone gets killed after becoming stranded in the middle of the road.
100% agree. Starting issues are dangerous on top of the massive inconvenience

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
639 Posts
@Cat0102

FWIW and IMHO, this problem seems common enough(according to what ive seen on this message board) that i think FCA should consider proactively issuing a recall and have the relay(s) in question replaced.

NOTE: if this happens to you, DO NOT disconnect the battery, as the error codes will be lost and your service-provider will not be able to diagnose and fix the issue. Instead, to shut down the car, TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE BRAKE, and then press the Start/Stop button(Big thanks to @mjotor for this tip).(disconnect the battery only if you are unable to shut the car down)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Glad to hear it. That is surprising to no one, except maybe the techs who worked on your car.
you would be surprised at what passes for techs these days in some dealerships... but the blame for that falls squarely on those dealerships.

You get what you pay for and sadly,many dealer principles think 50k a year for a qualified tech is reasonable .

·
Registered
2020 Giulia TI
284 Posts
It's unfortunate that the pay for dealer techs is so low, especially considering the labor rates they charge customers. A tech can make or break a dealership. Substandard work will not only alienate the customer, but also affect dealer's bottom line by necessitating comebacks.

Reactions: Crosshairs
21 - 40 of 42 Posts