Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got in my car, usual Alfa greeting. Hit the start button and everything lights up like normal. Can hear something “electrical” like a small motor going, but no attempt to turnover. I assume this the fuel pump being primed. Dead battery? I started it about 3 hours earlier and moved that car about 50 ft. Bad idea to disconnect the negative battery terminal before trying to jump it?

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
639 Posts
Happened to me last month... here’s the thread.

Seems to happening to a few forum members....

If possible try and get the codes(if you pull the negative you loose the codes).

Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

If possible try and get the codes(if you pull the negative you loose the codes).

Good luck!
Don’t have a scan tool unfortunately. I tried to pull the negative but had the same result.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
All the signs of a low battery.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Good luck!
I just had this issue last night...and with a non-Alfa buddy. The quoted post helped a lot. This morning I tried remote start, and she started, but engine died about 20 secs. I then tried push button start, and she started, but with Sevice Engine and Auto Stop/Start deactivated. I turned her off, pulled the negative terminal, un-clamped, reseated, re-clamped the positive terminal, and reconnected the negative terminal. Push button start worked, with the normal errors when disconnecting the battery. I did the steering wheel reset, turned her off and back on, and only got the Auto Stop/Start error. I'll take her out for a drive in a bit.
NOTE: last night I noticed the Alfa branded CTEK battery charger pigtail (that connects to the battery) lights were blinking oddly (I can't remember what it was, orange and red, like it couldn't decide?), and left the charger disconnected while I was out. When I came home a couple of hours later, remote start operated as described above, and the pigtail light was orange....also, two week old AGM battery.

Reactions: hawkeye_a

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just had this issue last night...and with a non-Alfa buddy. The quoted post helped a lot. This morning I tried remote start, and she started, but engine died about 20 secs. I then tried push button start, and she started, but with Sevice Engine and Auto Stop/Start deactivated. I turned her off, pulled the negative terminal, un-clamped, reseated, re-clamped the positive terminal, and reconnected the negative terminal. Push button start worked, with the normal errors when disconnecting the battery. I did the steering wheel reset, turned her off and back on, and only got the Auto Stop/Start error. I'll take her out for a drive in a bit.
NOTE: last night I noticed the Alfa branded CTEK battery charger pigtail (that connects to the battery) lights were blinking oddly (I can't remember what it was, orange and red, like it couldn't decide?), and left the charger disconnected while I was out. When I came home a couple of hours later, remote start operated as described above, and the pigtail light was orange....also, two week old AGM battery.
Update...let her charge for a bit, and she started right up, no errors. Took her out for about 15 min on highway and and 20 min backroad/highway on the way back. No issues...auto start/stop did not activate until I pulled in to the garage to park. She is back on the charger since I don't anticipate going anywhere for a couple of days (may back her out to wash her or maybe take her down to the no-touch carwash down the street).

Reactions: hawkeye_a

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roadside tried to jump mine, no dice. It seems odd I’d have power to operate headlights trunk, locking system, radio, NAV, but not enough for the ignition.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
639 Posts
Roadside tried to jump mine, no dice. It seems odd I’d have power to operate headlights trunk, locking system, radio, NAV, but not enough for the ignition.
That what i was wondering too(i didnt try jumpstarting).... all accessories come on but didnt turn over.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
A couple of years ago I started my wife's Crosstrek, drove until encountering a road construction flagger, shut the car off and the [email protected]#$ thing would not start due to an inadequate battery (lights on, will not crank). The battery was 5 or 6 years old, so not a big surprise. Sometimes batteries just die relatively suddenly.

Giulia has a few ways that the electronics can end up on when the car is parked, causing the battery to be drained. Alfa seems to be (slowly) working to fix those issues but with the MY2020 re-do all bets are off---maybe they fixed everything or maybe there is an entirely new list.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A couple of years ago I started my wife's Crosstrek, drove until encountering a road construction flagger, shut the car off and the [email protected]#$ thing would not start due to an inadequate battery (lights on, will not crank). The battery was 5 or 6 years old, so not a big surprise. Sometimes batteries just die relatively suddenly.

Giulia has a few ways that the electronics can end up on when the car is parked, causing the battery to be drained. Alfa seems to be (slowly) working to fix those issues but with the MY2020 re-do all bets are off---maybe they fixed everything or maybe there is an entirely new list.
sad thing is I was planning on getting the battery replaced next week

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Managed to get it off the street w/wheel dollies and towed 90m away. We’ll see what the dealer says. Could also be a bad fuel pump I suppose

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dealer was able to start it up the first day in without issue and the battery tested fine and no codes are stored. He thinks it may have been a software glitch and will check for updates. I’m getting some other warranty work done for a couple leaks, but I’m a bit concerned the starting issue will recur when it gets back and I’ll have to go through the whole deal of getting it towed 2 hours away again.

Anyone else experience similar software issues with a battery that was testing well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seems like this is becoming more and more common. I just got my Giulia back from the dealer. I would get in the car, go to start it, and it wouldn’t turn over. Would get full accessory power, and could lock/unlock, and if I cycled through the on/off with the start button a few times I could usually get the car to start. First time I had the issue I thought it was the battery, dealer tested and it checked out fine so they sent it back to me. Car worked fine for a month and same issue popped up so sent the car back again. This time they changed a relay for the starter motor (I think). Only time will tell if that’s the fix, but maybe make mention of the relay to the dealer. I’ve seen a couple other guys mention it as a fix for this starting issue that’s been popping up here recently.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I think I will. The dealer is over an hour away so it’s quite a hassle to get it over there. Especially when I can’t get it started.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got some other repairs done while it was at the dealer and boy it just keeps coming. Had a seep from the rack assembly and transfer case (warranty) Those took quite some time to get done. When they did the rack assembly they noticed a ripped CV boot.

Got an oil change, brake fluid flush, and drive belt replaced. will do the engine air filter And spark plugs once I get back.

Wonder what’s next? I’ve only had it 2 months and it’s spent a month in the shop now :( hoping the start issue is resolved.

·
Registered
473 Posts
All the symptoms of a bad starter relay seem to be there. I don’t know how to demand it, but that’s what they need to focus on. My dealer took care of it immediately.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts