Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Alfatech I started new thread)
My owners manual list both the 2.9 and 2.0 engines as needing to replace accessory belt at 36k for non dusty area. sooner under dusty and demanding(cold climates and in town 18k (no joke) and no longer than 4 years time.

Alfatech said not needed, but what about warranty?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
For warranty, replacement at 4 years is the requirement. The 36k miles is a “recommendation” only.

·
Registered
630 Posts
It's an accessory belt. So the worst that should happen if/when it does fail is functional loss of those belt driven accessories, which in this case is the alternator, air conditioning compressor and engine coolant pump. Since it is not safe to drive more than a short distance without a functioning electrical system or with limited cooling capacity, a failed accessory belt most likely means your vehicle would be disabled and would require a tow for repair. [The Low Temperature (LT) cooling system that controls the temperature of the intercooler has an electric turbocharger air cooling system coolant pump that provides some limited engine cooling capacity but it is not really meant to supplement the High Temperature (HT) cooling system that controls the temperature of the engine coolant in the event of system failure].

The basic limited warranty only lasts 4 yrs/ 50k miles anyhow so there's no real reason to push the belt change beyond that. If the belt fails before the warranty expires, the real questions are:

1) Will the accessory belt be covered under warranty since it technically is a wear and tear item that requires periodic maintenance and replacement? and

2) Will the 24/7 towing assistance cover the costs for towing your disabled vehicle to the nearest dealer for repair since belt replacement would normally not be covered under warranty?

2. What Is Covered Under FCA US Warranties
2.1.D. Towing Costs Are Covered Under Certain Circumstances
Roadside Assistance covers the cost of towing your vehicle to the nearest authorized Alfa Romeo repair facility if your vehicle can’t be driven because a covered part has failed. Roadside Assistance lasts for up to 4 years, with no mileage limit, calculated from the warranty start date. See Section 6.2 for information on how to get Roadside Assistance service in the United States and Canada including United States Possessions and Territories as Part of the United States for Warranty Purposes.

6.2 How To Get Roadside Assistance Service - U.S. Or Canada Only *
A. Who Is Covered:
You are covered by the Roadside Assistance services if you are a purchaser for use of the Giulia. The Roadside Assistance services lasts for 4 years, regardless of mileage, calculated from the start date of the Basic Limited Warranty, as set forth in Section 2.1(E).

B. What To Do:
If your Giulia requires jump start assistance, out of gas/fuel delivery, tire service, lockout service or towing
due to a defect covered under the Basic Limited Warranty, call 844-253-2872 for assistance.

Provide your name, vehicle identification number, license plate number, and your location, including the telephone number from which you are calling. Briefly describe the nature of the problem and answer a few simple questions.
You will be given the name of the service provider and an estimated time of arrival. If you feel you are in an "unsafe situation", please let us know. With your consent, we will contact local police or safety authorities.

* Roadside assistance services provided through Cross Country Motor Club, Inc., Medford, MA 02155, except in AK, CA, HI, OR, WI, and WY, where services are provided by Cross Country Motor Club of California, Inc., Medford, MA 02155

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Looking under the hood I see the belt wrapped around the alternator, A/C compressor and something unidentifiable (underneath the A/C compressor). If that last piece is a coolant pump, then the coolant is routed inside the engine block to the pump as there are no coolant hoses connected to it. It is very small in diameter in any case. My pickup truck has a similar looking device which is a vacuum pump.

There is a plastic cover over the lower part of the belt run. It looks like it will come off with the removal of a few nuts, but if there is insufficient clearance to get it out of the way the belt change could expand to need the radiator removed. Otherwise the R&R appears to be straight forward and not more than an hour of labor.

$2k for 6 hours of work on a QV is way too pricey.

If the belt breaks it can smack into things and/or jamb up things, causing more problems than just loss of the function of driven components. For example it is easy to imagine the belt bunching up inside that lower cover (there is an upper guard too), breaking the cover into pieces, and flinging plastic shrapnel all over the place like into the back side of the radiator. I think it better to not risk this situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd imagine (and hope) that interval is only a recommendation. If they can't get an accessory belt to last at least 80k miles on a modern vehicle (their 4 cyl models at least), that's pretty sad. I just can't wrap my mind around it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's an accessory belt. So the worst that should happen if/when it does fail is functional loss of those belt driven accessories, which in this case is the alternator, air conditioning compressor and engine coolant pump. Since it is not safe to drive more than a short distance without a functioning electrical system or with limited cooling capacity, a failed accessory belt most likely means your vehicle would be disabled and would require a tow for repair. [The Low Temperature (LT) cooling system that controls the temperature of the intercooler has an electric turbocharger air cooling system coolant pump that provides some limited engine cooling capacity but it is not really meant to supplement the High Temperature (HT) cooling system that controls the temperature of the engine coolant in the event of system failure].

The basic limited warranty only lasts 4 yrs/ 50k miles anyhow so there's no real reason to push the belt change beyond that. If the belt fails before the warranty expires, the real questions are:

1) Will the accessory belt be covered under warranty since it technically is a wear and tear item that requires periodic maintenance and replacement? and

2) Will the 24/7 towing assistance cover the costs for towing your disabled vehicle to the nearest dealer for repair since belt replacement would normally not be covered under warranty?

There are a lot worse things that could happen if the belt does break. I have seen them take out cooling hoses, power steering hoses and parts of wiring in the area, mainly when you are running down the road at 3000 RPM

The belt would not be covered because it is a wear item.

Yes it would be covered for the roadside assistance towing program.

This is a recommended/preventative maint item with that said, they are your cars and it is entirely up to you how you want to maintain you investment.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If the belt breaks it can smack into things and/or jamb up things, causing more problems than just loss of the function of driven components.
There are a lot worse things that could happen if the belt does break. I have seen them take out cooling hoses, power steering hoses and parts of wiring in the area, mainly when you are running down the road at 3000 RPM
You're both right. A broken serpentine belt can cause collateral damage because it has some kinetic energy. But I'd say for every 10 belts that fail, 9 fail with a whimper and not a bang. At least that's been my experience having been around cars for a long time and seen a lot of other people's problems. That is by no means a scientific poll, just anecdotal.

Yes it would be covered for the roadside assistance towing program.
Why do you say that? Their written policy says, "Roadside Assistance covers the cost of towing your vehicle to the nearest authorized Alfa Romeo repair facility if your vehicle can’t be driven because a covered part has failed." The belt is considered a wear and tear item that requires routine maintenance and is not generally covered under warranty (there may be rare exceptions for a belt that fails at very early age or due to a defect in another component such as a failed harmonic balancer or AC compressor that would normally be covered under warranty). Therefore, Roadside Assistance might help get your car to the dealer but it seems well within their rights to charge you for the tow if the cause of the mechanical breakdown is related to a maintenance item and not a warranty issue.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
You're both right. A broken serpentine belt can cause collateral damage because it has some kinetic energy. But I'd say for every 10 belts that fail, 9 fail with a whimper and not a bang. At least that's been my experience having been around cars for a long time and seen a lot of other people's problems. That is by no means a scientific poll, just anecdotal.
True, but why chance it? Also I see vehicles stalled out on US-395 due to broken belts a couple of times a year and I am only looking maybe 2% of the time. It seems that vehicles like to wait until the most inconvenient time (driving up hill in a remote area with little cell phone service) before the belt breaks.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
TrI see vehicles stalled out on US-395 due to broken belts a couple of times a year and I am only looking maybe 2% of the time.
How do you know it was belts that felled them? Is the evidence laying in the road?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Usually if a belt breaks it’s because something failed and caused it to break, otherwise there are obvious visual clues that it may be about to break, and noise. It’s easy to check, and I’ll keep an eye on how they do on cars I see, but usually a serpentine belt is good for at least 100k kms/5 years.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
How do you know it was belts that felled them? Is the evidence laying in the road?
Because I walk down to the highway and ask if I can help them before they do something stupid like set fire to the vegetation around my house with their overheated vehicle. It is a bit hard to tell if the belt broke then the engine overheated, or if the engine overheated and then the belt broke. 4% uphill grade at 7000+ feet is a formula for overheating a poorly maintained vehicle though.

I should have mentioned, my observations are restricted to a 1 mile long stretch of the road.

The vehicles involved are usually in poor condition and the drivers have always refused my offer to call a tow or other assistance for them, probably because they cannot afford it.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
Nice of you to stop.

Reactions: MikeS

·
Registered
94 Posts

Why do you say that? Their written policy says, "Roadside Assistance covers the cost of towing your vehicle to the nearest authorized Alfa Romeo repair facility if your vehicle can’t be driven because a covered part has failed." The belt is considered a wear and tear item that requires routine maintenance and is not generally covered under warranty (there may be rare exceptions for a belt that fails at very early age or due to a defect in another component such as a failed harmonic balancer or AC compressor that would normally be covered under warranty). Therefore, Roadside Assistance might help get your car to the dealer but it seems well within their rights to charge you for the tow if the cause of the mechanical breakdown is related to a maintenance item and not a warranty issue.

I have cars that are towed in all day long by road side assistance. Yes for covered repairs and non covered repairs, like a flat tire. Have also had cars towed in via road side assistance because the customer was so out of touch that there car ran out of gas. The tow companies are contractors and they get paid by the manufacture and do not make judgement on what is covered and not covered.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Usually if a belt breaks it’s because something failed and caused it to break, otherwise there are obvious visual clues that it may be about to break, and noise. It’s easy to check, and I’ll keep an eye on how they do on cars I see, but usually a serpentine belt is good for at least 100k kms/5 years.
This.

Modern drive belts are virtually indestructible in normal use. When they fail, it is almost always because something they drive has seized up. Even then, they are more likely just to fall off than to break, but you wouldn't want to reuse a belt after that.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Looking under the hood I see the belt wrapped around the alternator, A/C compressor and something unidentifiable (underneath the A/C compressor). If that last piece is a coolant pump, then the coolant is routed inside the engine block to the pump as there are no coolant hoses connected to it. It is very small in diameter in any case. My pickup truck has a similar looking device which is a vacuum pump.
That part is the water pump, yes.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
That part is the water pump, yes.
Thanks. So should I assume that the wire going to that device is connected to a clutch actuator?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Thanks. So should I assume that the wire going to that device is connected to a clutch actuator?
I haven’t noticed a wire on them, if anything it may be a ground wire, the water pump is a just a pulley on one end and an impeller on the other end, I’ve never seen or heard of a variable one, or one with a clutch.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts