Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently checked my oil level and its down two full notches and so now I have 4 remaining. I was concerned about the consumption of the oil but according to the manual, it says you should top-off when it the oil level is close to or below the min mark which is at 1 notch. Each notch represents approximately 8.8 fl oz.

My car has now 5,500 miles and it has consumed 17.6 fl oz of oil (0.55 quart of oil) so its pretty good for a turbo car. When I had my 2004 CLK, it would consume a full quart of oil at the 5,000 mile mark and would require a top-off.

At what notch are you guys topping off the oil?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
interesting. Mines at 5.5 and two track days and still shows full.

I spoke to my dealer about the oil a while back and they told me that I 'shouldn't' see any significant drop. Personally i'd take it in for a check if you've used two bars. Just my 2c

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
interesting. Mines at 5.5 and two track days and still shows full.

I spoke to my dealer about the oil a while back and they told me that I 'shouldn't' see any significant drop. Personally i'd take it in for a check if you've used two bars. Just my 2c
Thanks FNM!

I think my engine's oil consumption amount is very reasonable and nothing to be concerned about. There are other manufacturers which have cars consuming much more oil in lesser miles. Consider that VW states that consuming a quart of oil every 1000 miles is within their acceptable range.

Also, the engine is new so it may consume a little more oil during its first oil life cycle then any other subsequent oil cycle.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
i'm with you - I have always topped my previous cars up but just parroting what the tech told me when I went I was in last. I was questioning the 10k oil change issue.

If it were 'any' other car I would top it off when two bars down making sure not to overfill :) If your dealer is local though i'd just pop in there (for free) and see if you get a different story. Be interesting on others mileage / drop f any too without hijacking.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,116 Posts
Can't check oil level on infotainment screen once underway. I need to look at the owner's manual to see if there's a low olio warning light.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm with you - I have always topped my previous cars up but just parroting what the tech told me when I went I was in last. I was questioning the 10k oil change issue.

If it were 'any' other car I would top it off when two bars down making sure not to overfill :) If your dealer is local though i'd just pop in there (for free) and see if you get a different story. Be interesting on others mileage / drop f any too without hijacking.
I am interested in knowing as well now that many of us are passing the 5k mile mark and higher! Tell us your oil consumption level in relation to your mileage. :smile2:

Can't check oil level on infotainment screen once underway. I need to look at the owner's manual to see if there's a low olio warning light.
I was looking at the manual and I couldn't find information if the Giulia has an instrument notification to add "X" amount of oil like Mercedes does between oil changes. It does have the standard "Low Oil" warning light but that light is when the oil is dangerously low. Basically, you should never wait for a Low Oil warning light to add oil.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,116 Posts
I was looking at the manual and I couldn't find information if the Giulia has an instrument notification to add "X" amount of oil like Mercedes does between oil changes. It does have the standard "Low Oil" warning light but that light is when the oil is dangerously low. Basically, you should never wait for a Low Oil warning light to add oil.
I agree. The days of service station attendants checking a vehicle's oil at each fill-up are far behind us, and I imagine few owners perform periodic checks.

Reactions: ibehardnock2001
1 - 7 of 7 Posts