Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I know it's early in the ownership of this car but has anyone gone in for service before the 10k one, after speaking to a couple of BMW and Audi owners both stated that their first service was at 8k and both stated they took their car back with half that for the 1st oil change. What's the concensus out there, even my regular mechanic stated no way at 10k ?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
For a non QV, I spoke with the tech at my dealer and he said 10k is correct and no reason to bring it in before. It shouldn't loose any oil is the caveat. I 'could' bring it in before if I lost sleep. I'm going for 10k on my Q4

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a lot of faith in the full synthetic oil. But in any event, I have 10,100 miles on the odometer so I am calling the dealership for my first free oil change tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Hi all, I know it's early in the ownership of this car but has anyone gone in for service before the 10k one, after speaking to a couple of BMW and Audi owners both stated that their first service was at 8k and both stated they took their car back with half that for the 1st oil change. What's the concensus out there, even my regular mechanic stated no way at 10k ?
I made a post about this yesterday because I was wondering the same thing. I've determined that I'm taking my car in around the 3,000 mile mark, I have the 2.0T engine by the way.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Todays modern cars have extended oil change intervals. Following what the manufacture states and 10k is what Alfa recommends on all of there cars, if fine. There is no such thing as "break in oil" oil any longer. Your regular mechanic only wants you to spend more money with him over the life of the car if he is telling you to do it more often.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I'm concerned about is any small metal parts during break in, also was driving today and going around g 60 mph and had a bmw close so I nailed it in D 120 comes quick I slowed to 80 and he just looked stunned

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have you had 10K trouble free ?
If your asking me, yes. I did go into limp mode one time. Some kids ran out in front of my car and a car swerved at me simultaneously and I managed to slam on the brake and gas at the same time. I restarted the car twice and normal driving resumed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got a 2017 Giulia base with some options and didn't make it three days. Brakes pulsation appeared but not like warped rotors, more like antilock brakes are pulsing....at least it looks amazing and I miss her not in my garage for the night. First car in a long time that I am passionate about....but so let so let down that it broke. BTW if you live in South Florida then I recommend Rick Case Alfa Romeo, very nice to deal with.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
In years past, engines came through from new with what was called break-in oil. It was (typically) just a lower viscosity engine oil that helped certain internal engine parts break-in, or wear-in, from their brand new condition and "mate" to their adjoining parts. These days I know of no major manufacturer that uses a different engine oil in their new engines, compared to what they recommend for the next oil service. During this break-in time period (again, in years past, European manufacturers would recommend returning in about 1000 kilometers=621 miles for that first oil service), as the engine parts are wearing in, there might be more small bits of metal sloughing-off, inside the engine, than after the break-in period. Also there is the possibility of bits of dirt and dust inside the engine from it's initial assembly. Also, perhaps, during this break-in period the piston rings are not sealing to the cylinder walls as well as they will be after the break-in period, and are allowing (more) small amounts of combustion gasses to pass into the crankcase and foul the engine oil. All of these factors contribute to why some folks believe that it is in their best interest to perform their first oil change at 500-1000 miles, and then, thereafter, follow a longer oil change interval more inline with what the manufacturer recommends. It might be called cheap insurance for those anal retentive folks, who want to do whatever they can to do best by their engine so that it might last forever. I'll be changing my oil and filter at the 500-1000 mile mark.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Got a 2017 Giulia base with some options and didn't make it three days. Brakes pulsation appeared but not like warped rotors, more like antilock brakes are pulsing....at least it looks amazing and I miss her not in my garage for the night. First car in a long time that I am passionate about....but so let so let down that it broke. BTW if you live in South Florida then I recommend Rick Case Alfa Romeo, very nice to deal with.
Sorry to hear that. Has it been fixed yet?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts