Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I am having a hard time picking summer tires for my Giulia and am hoping to hear your opinions based on your experience. Will appreciate your feedback!

I have a 2017 RWD 2.0 Giulia, 200HP version I'm looking to remap to 280-310HP. It's on the staggered 225/45/18 and 255/40/18 setup on Lusso rims. I live in a somewhat cool climate, it rarely gets hot over here. In spring and autumn it's often around 5-15 Celsius/40-60F, in summer it's usually around 20-25 Celsius/65-75F. Thus, it would be probably beneficial if tires would warm up quickly and are not of super stiff compound.

Right now I have factory Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3s, run flats. I love the handling, the steering feel is superb, very precise, darty and quite meaty, grip is great in summer, but there are downsides:
  • Runflats are very noisy and stiff, it's a harsh ride and we have quite sh?tty roads here with lots of rough potholes
  • It worsens in spring and autumn

This winter I was driving on Michelin's X-ice snow. Brilliant winter tire, very comfortable and silent, but when I fit my summer Goodyears after winter Michelins, it felt like I don't have tires at all, riding on my rims. Shocking difference in comfort and noise. But I was also shocked by how much more meaty, precise and darty Giulia became after switching to Goodyears. It's much more fun.

So everything has a tradeoff and winter Michelins killed the steering feel completely, it's super vague. The grip is awesome, but you just don't feel anything. It's fine for winter tires, but not something I want on Giulia with superb handling during the summer.

I thought that Michelin PS4s will be a great compromise between comfort and sportiness, they are often considered as the most comfortable performance tires.

But sadly, Michelin PS4s are not available over here in 18" size.

So I'm left with following options:

1. non run-flat Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 - newer model to mine, non runflats, new tire compared to my 4 year olds - so in theory I should still have nice sporty feel + better comfort compared to my 4 year old runflats. By the way I think I can purchase these as OE tires specifically designed for Alfa Romeo.
2. non run-flat Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport - should be an alternative to Michelin PS4s, with even more sporty feel than Asymmetric 5s, but with less comfort, not sure how much though compared to Asymmetric 5 or PPS4s.
3. non run-flat Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - in theory, should offer great grip too, much better comfort than 2 of the above or even PS4s, but it's often referred to as quite vague in terms of steering feel.
4. Maybe also Conti SportContacts or PremiumContacts - but perhaps even less comfort than Goodyears.

So I think my current Goodyears Asymmetric 3 are complimenting the awesome Giulia's steering and I wouldn't want to lose this during the summer season. But I would also want to gain a bit more forgiving ride + more acoustic comfort.

So I'm really looking to find a tire that has a nice balance between good precise steering and comfort.

My question is:
What's your experience with these tires? Maybe you've used both and can compare comfort and steering feel? Or perhaps you just used Michelin's standard PS4, how would you rate them for steering feel/sportiness, is it vague to your taste? Is it noticeably more comfortable than everything else?

Thanks for your advices!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I personally run continental DWS 06 on my lusso because I dont mind giving up a little of the steering feel for a much more enjoyable ride all around. I too use x ice in the winter here and found they same thing as you. Much more comfortable/quite but horrible slop in the steering feel. I think you would like the DWS 06's so maybe look into them as well. They are a nice middle ground I would 10/10 run them again

·
Registered
152 Posts
We seem to consider the same thing as very important (steering feel), so hope that something useful can come out of it.
I have staggered 19's, and first thing was to dump the RF, considering harshness and rim exposure.
Michelin PS4s XL is a very comfortable tire, it's like deducting 1 size (19's feel like 18's from comfort level). But in steering feel is ok(ish). Higher inflation level could help though.
I have now Goodyear Supersports XL on staggered 19's, and the steering feel is considerably better, however comfort level has decreased a little compared to Michelin PS4s. Still acceptable, especially with the adaptive suspension.
Unfortunately there is not perfect solution, is a matter of priorities. Better steering feel, or better comfort.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Go_a_way1 , thanks for sharing. This makes total sense to me and I think most probably you live in a +- the same climate as I do. Great all-season tires would be more comfortable + perhaps more logical in quite cool weather in early spring/late autumn. However, we're unlucky here and not a single brand is selling all-season UHP tires over here in Europe. So neither all-seasons, no PS4S-s in 18" for us :/ We only have cross-climate tires and I don't think it's the same thing, they seem to be more 'winter' oriented than sporty all-seasons. I would really like to try proper all-seasons at least once on my car though. Thanks for the suggestion!

@BFX , yeah, my thinking is I can't give up on steering feel and feedback on a car like this, it wouldn't make sense to try and make a business sedan out of a sports sedan, especially with such a brilliant chassis and steering. So my goal is I'd say to get an adequate comfort level because I understand that like you said you can't get both.
I have few questions if you don't mind:
1) how big of a difference it was when you switched from summer RFs to non-RFs? Especially RFs vs Supersports?
2) did you have Michelin Pilot Sport 4-s or 4S-s?

If the steering feel is considerably better and the loss in comfort level is not so big compared to Michelins, I think then it may be the best tire for me, exactly what I described above: great sportiness + adequate comfort.

I now will be choosing between Asymmetric 5-s and Supersports then. Leaning more towards Supersports, they should definitely have an edge in performance, but As5 sounds like a solid choice too, often considered as the most sporty and good all-round touring tires + not so far from Supersports.

Thank you guys for your input, was really great to hear your real-life experience!

·
Registered
152 Posts
1) how big of a difference it was when you switched from summer RFs to non-RFs? Especially RFs vs Supersports?
R: the difference in comfort is considerable from my perspective, OEM RF are way too stiff, and also narrow, which makes almost certain the future curbing of the rims
2) did you have Michelin Pilot Sport 4-s or 4S-s?
R: On the Giulia I had 4S’s and in XL form, however had in the past 4’s on other car. Very good tires with amazing comfort, but slightly muted steering feel in both cases of Michelin’s.
The good thing on both 4S as well as Supersport is that in XL form, they do offer also a decent rim protection. I believe that the reinforcing (XL) is helping on the steering feel as well.
If Alfa engineers have set up the suspension with OEM RF’s harshness in mind, than the non RF replacement should be a stiffer compound in order to avoid steering feel loss. Comparing the 4S’s and the Supersports, I believe the Goodyear is the stiffer, hence better choice. And must have in XL form.
These are just observations based on my experiences, perspectives could be different considering that we are speaking of non measurable variables: feel :)
Let me know if any questions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for helping me, @BFX @Go_a_way1

I bought Goodyear SuperSports and have had them mounted since Friday, 225/45/18 + 255/40/18, XLs. Will share my experience here in this thread in case if someone will be seeking the same comparison.

All I can say about these tires is wow, they’re great, everything I wanted a summer tire to be on my Giulia. Like @BFX said, a perfect balance between sportiness and comfort. A great improvement compared to Asymmetric 3 run-flats for sure, I am happy I didn’t go for Asymmetric 5 non-run-flats.

Just for reference, I run 2.1 bar/30 psi on fronts and 2.3 bar/33psi on rears (2.0 + 2.2 is OEM). So when tires are cold, it’s 2.0 + 2.2 and when they heat up, it sometimes climbs to 2.2 + 2.4.

Grip & Handling: as expected, brilliant. It feels like I am not even close to reaching the limit of these tires with the power of my Giulia and my skills (~300 HP and 460 nm). I don’t get wheelspin even if I floor it from a standstill into a corner. As for me, I’ve noticed that they have noticeably more grip than Asymmetrics 3, which had great grip too, to begin with.

They offer more grip on corners too. What surprised me is they offer more stability in corners than Asymmetric 3s run-flats that are supposed to have much stiffer sidewalls. I guess that’s down to this outer shoulder layer on SuperSports. It feels that tires ‘hold their structure’ better. At the same time, on highway speeds, the car doesn’t bounce all around on road imperfections as it did on run-flats, especially in corners. The car feels more planted/glued to the road.

I didn’t yet drive then in rainy weather, so can’t say anything. But I don’t think I will get any unwanted surprises.

One extremely pleasant bonus is it’s much safer if you drive through ruts on the road, both in towns and on highways, especially when changing lanes. You’re constantly thrown out of the rut on run-flats.

Road feel/steering feedback: I feel like I maybe lost a veeeeery tiny bit of initial response at low speeds (below 50kmh/30mph). Runflats felt very nervous and extremely pointy even when going slowly. Supersports are more relaxed and steering is less heavy.

However, when you start to drive a bit faster (70kmh/40mph +), this is when they shine. To my taste, they feel even better than my previous run-flats. They give the same stability, same dartiness/pointiness, same super-fast reactions, but in a more progressive and balanced way, I’d say.

Comfort: I didn’t expect much improvement in the noise comfort area, and there’s not a ton of it. :) I think it’s safe to say that there are better tires for noise comfort. However, they are not meant to be super silent, and to be honest they are not that LOUD anyway. No complaints or disappointment here, and this is coming from someone who appreciates noise comfort.

Ride quality - this is where it’s a very big improvement over run-flats in my eyes, especially in town driving mode. Previously, the car felt so jittery and bumpy at low speeds sometimes that I thought it had something to do with the gas pedal or transmission. At normal town driving speeds ride was crashy very often, it even felt painful to drive Giulia like that. No such thing anymore. Now it feels like tires + suspension works great in a combo. Good meaty and balanced feeling. It’s a very rare case now when I feel any crashes through the cabin.

Overall the ride quality is much better, I finally feel that tires damp something, I don’t bounce around as if I’m on wooden wheels. I am pleased with the ride quality now.

To sum up, if you want a tire with an excellent grip, handling, and feedback, but don’t want to lose too much comfort - I agree with @BFX and think it’s a great option, a very good balance indeed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Very glad to see the positive outcome 😉
If you need the ride to become more sportier, I believe that you can further inflate your tires, seems to be plenty of room according to OEM benchmarks.

If steering feel is top on your list too (it’s definitely on mine), keep an eye on below topic. Some goodies are now available for Giulia’s.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm planning on buying the Asymmetric 5 next, after my Michelin PS4 are worn out.

What made you choose the SuperSport over the AS5?

Both the SS and PS4 are XL rated, which the AS5 isn't - I'm hoping for a more comfy ride.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm planning on buying the Asymmetric 5 next, after my Michelin PS4 are worn out.

What made you choose the SuperSport over the AS5?

Both the SS and PS4 are XL rated, which the AS5 isn't - I'm hoping for a more comfy ride.
If comfort is your main request, not sure if you may receive better than with the Michelin PS4/PS4s, keeping as well a very decent handling.
Having the XL reinforcement should give that extra peace of mind level of not curbing the rims. Without them, i find the OEM Giulia setup to be way to stretch.

I am usually checking the Tyrereviews website, especially what users are sharing as feedback.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@BFX yeah, I am experimenting with the pressure, but overall something around 2.2 + 2.4 feels the best. Will keep an eye on the thread too, thanks!

This week it's raining finally. Didn't have a chance to do spirited driving, but I've floored it from start in Dynamic a few times. I must say there was quite a lot of wheel spin in 1st gear. Didn't have that on Asymmetrics, but then again last time I drove in rain with them was before I did a remap, so not a fair comparison really. But I will test it more in wet and will share my thoughts if there will be something interesting. I heard though that the wet performance of Supersports is worse in 18" than in 19" size, so this may be the case. Anyway, I need to place a knob with RACE mode finally, so I can have some proper fun in wet :)

@stocki , simple answer is I wanted max possible sportiness and decent comfort in my tires. It seems to me that you want the opposite - max possible comfort and decent sportiness. Then Supersports are ideal for me and Asymmetric 5 or Michelin PS4 should be indeed perfect for your preferences.

Michelins sound like even a better option than both Goodyear's options. I agree with @BFX .

I also agree about XL - it seems that they offer a bigger 'bulge' as opposed to stretch. Even though tire stretching is a thing right now, I don't like it all. My winter Michelins X-Ice Snow stretch a lot and I don't like the looks and I obviously don't like that rims are quite exposed.

I would be very keen to try Asymmetric 5s (or even PS4) on my car just for fun, out of curiosity, and compare them to Supersports.

But you know, after my last message, I drove my car with Supersports for another 500kms and I have absolutely 0 complaints about the comfort, keep in mind that we have really poor roads in city areas. So the question is are AS5 SO much better in terms of ride comfort? I think the one parameter where AS5 will have a clear win is noise levels. Don't get me wrong, SS are not loud at all, but not super quiet either, just okay. But AS5 are often referred to suuuuper quiet. I drove BMW 5 G30 on them (not a fair comparison, but still) and I couldn't hear tires at all.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
@abqrvalg, are your Lusso wheels staggered, or are they all the same size?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@AlfaAndy staggered. I have RWD Giulia with an open diff, not Q2, not Q4. This certainly doesn't help for a pedal to the metal starts in wet :)

so the tire sizes are 225/45/18 + 255/40/18.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts