Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to get some good options between the Quadrifoglio and the S6.
I’m on the fence on which would suit me better as a daily driver.

I absolutely love the Quad but somewhat concerned about the New York winter.

S6 is also great with its V8tt.

What the consensus guys!

Oh what problems!!!! :)))

Cheers

· Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,902 Posts
No contest. One is a boat and the other a car 😂

But seriously; the Audi may be more luxurious but the qv will be the better driver hands down (more power and faster in a straight line and corner). And I daily mine in NYC winters.

· Registered
119 Posts
S6 are notorious for turbo failures. I own S4 (2015) and spoke with my Audi mechanic about the S6 and he advised not to own one without an extended warranty due to turbo failures.

They are truely very different cars. The awd is great and very predictable, seamless and extremely reliable. A better long distance upscale cruiser and a solid and comfortable road car....but suffers from the wt when traveling on backroads and cornering. It is quick, easy to live with and roomy....but bigger in all measurements. It won't reward a driver but it is a confident driver at normal and higher speeds....just not nimble.

QV is more biased towards a sports car, albeit a 3800 lb sports car. The engine is more like a sports car with quick acceleration, fast shifting and wonderful handling chassis but those attributes handicap it in inclement weather, poor road conditions, and in overall upscale luxury. The electronics of the 2017 S6 is no longer state of the art, but infotainment system is as good or better than the QV.

Interior design and quality exceeds the QV, and exterior build quality is better as well as less fussy, IMO.

I bought my QV to complement my 2 Audi (S4, A4 S-line MILD HYBRID) The QV is for good weather sport driving, the S4 is a general use sporty sedan, the A4 is a DD and great mid-luxury cruiser getting 40 mpg on trips and 28 around town. Each has a different purpose.....and I love them all.

If an Audi is what you'd like I'd suggest that an S4, S5 or possibly an RS3 could serve your needs, each providing a different level of sport/luxury with awd confidence.

Attachments

· Registered
951 Posts
Answers will vary depending on which forum you ask. Alfa guys will say Alfa, Audi guys will understandably trash on the reliability of this car and suggest the S6.

Test drive them and assess personally how much risk you're willing to take with reliability and what budget you have for repairs. Both of these will be expensive to maintain, but I'd bet money the Alfa will be a bigger headache. Literally the first model year of a notoriously unreliable car.

· Registered
210 Posts
apples to oranges. the QV is a drivers car.. compact sports sedan comparable somewhat to M3, C63 AMG.

S6 is a luxury cruiser with a big engine. comparable to M5 or E class AMG.

personally, i find those cars to be too big and not fun to drive. if you want comfort, more headroom/legrooms/storage, go with the S6. If you want precision and/or responsiveness, go with the QV.

· Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,902 Posts
I test drive the S6 definitely a heavy car.
The V8 sounds good.
I would assume the S6 will be the more reliable car.
Not at all; loads of members on here with bullet proof cars.

And if nothing else, drive the qv, and you'll instantly be willing to put up with the non existent reliability issues

Reactions: WC_Alpha

· Premium Member
Giulia Q 2017
120 Posts
Answers will vary depending on which forum you ask. Alfa guys will say Alfa, Audi guys will understandably trash on the reliability of this car and suggest the S6.

Test drive them and assess personally how much risk you're willing to take with reliability and what budget you have for repairs. Both of these will be expensive to maintain, but I'd bet money the Alfa will be a bigger headache. Literally the first model year of a notoriously unreliable car.
what is so notoriously unreliable about the Q?😅

· Registered
6,137 Posts
I was faced with a similar situation in 2003.
was driving a MY 2000 M5, in NY, and the car never came out in the winter, popped into my local Audi dealer in Greenwich and test drove a 2003 RS6 sedan. Very impressive from a power standpoint 396 N/A V8 vs. 450 TTV8, it had AWD, but was an auto. After driving the cars it really came down to what I wanted in a sports sedan vs. was I needed.
I chose to keep my M5 and do a DINAN S2 package for the increased power. It was more about the driving dynamics, the fun factor, and the practical side. The M5 checked all the boxes except the winter AWD aspect. In that respect, the AUDI clearly won but it lost on everything else.
SOOOO maybe that is what you should be asking yourself, what will you enjoy more driving the other 9 months out of the year?? especially after a NY winter like the one we had with no snow (unless of course you live in the Northern regions)

· Registered
47 Posts
FYI on any Audi forum, they expressly state that the v8 TT will always have to have the turbos replaced.

when, not if.

Audi designed the twin turbos right in the middle of the "v" in the engine bay, the hottest area of the car, which led to premature wear on the components. There are mods folks have done to remove the oil filter that is a part of the turbos, but that is only a wear item.

if you get any C7 or v8 TT, make sure the turbos have been replaced, or that it comes with an extended warranty.

· Registered
7 Posts
Coming from the Audi world here - avoid those TTV8s.

Audi used a flat turbo filter screen, and put it in a completely inaccessible spot. They're known to clog as over 3000RPM the oil pick up bypasses the main oil filter and feeds directly to the turbos. You can buy a relocation kit, but you're looking at $700 for the kit, plus 9hrs labor for install, to make it serviceable.

Plus those things are an absolute boat. AWD is nice and all, but they're heavy, and while they handle well for a big car, it cannot even remotely compare.

· Registered
'17 Giulia QV
1,689 Posts
I'll have to easily vote for the QV. It's in a class of it's own. If you know what it's all about, it's history roots, etc there is no other substitute for what it can do and that is to be driven fun and hard. Anything else in comparison is much more civilized, and more tamed. QV is more raw and wild, at least I think so, especially when you mix it in with an S6.

Have you driven a QV before? If not, drive both cars back to back, start off with the S6 then QV and you'll see exactly what I mean.

· Registered
210 Posts
the QV is not really unrealiable per say. at least not any moreso than BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. My E46 M3 had numerous issues, including one where the air bags deployed without being in an impact and i got a decent sum from BMW NA. My E55 AMG I blew the tranny, after tuning to over 600 HP/800 Torque.

So far in 20 months of QV ownership, ive only had one issue where the car went into limp mode because the battery was weak and needed to be replaced.

I will say this. Alfas bad reputation is mainly because its dealership support network is horrible. You go to any other luxury car dealership, they will diagnose and fix your car and most likely provide a loaner. Alfa's dealership techs/service/sales are much less knowledgable and reliable compared to its competitors. But if you are lucky to live close to a competent dealer, or have a good relationship with an indy shop, then you can drive one of the best values hands down for the money, and really stand out. I live in an area where i see multiple AMG or M cars on the daily. I see another QV maybe once a month if not longer.

· Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
1,432 Posts
I’m happy to report I’ll soon be back in a Quad!!!

Specs — 17 Vesuvio Grey - Sparco Seats - Ceramic Brakes - Sliver 5 Holes - Red Calipers
25k Miles - 1 Owner -Private Sale - PPF Front -
Meticulously Maintained :)

Pictures to follow!
Pics or it didn't happen. Sounds like a beautiful spec, BTW...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts