Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this on 1st drive home: If I press the signal indicator either left or right AND hold it, (not past the first resistance point), the corresponding signal will blink 3 times, and then stop. It will not continue to blink. I am used to the corresponding signal (left or right) blinking while holding the stalk in this position. This is the first vehicle I have experienced this, and I have been searching through the manual trying to figure out if this is something I can change?

Thanks, and take care.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Noticed this on 1st drive home: If I press the signal indicator either left or right AND hold it, (not past the first resistance point), the corresponding signal will blink 3 times, and then stop. It will not continue to blink. I am used to the corresponding signal (left or right) blinking while holding the stalk in this position. This is the first vehicle I have experienced this, and I have been searching through the manual trying to figure out if this is something I can change?

Thanks, and take care.
No. It is designed in such a way that a small tap will give 3 blinks. if you want more blinks , go all the way past the resistance (or tap it again for 3 more). If you need to cancel the continuous blinking, tap in the other direction.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
You'll have it down (and the reach past the paddles, if your Giulia is so-equipped) within the first week.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the fast responses! I've experienced the tap for 3 blinks on other vehicles, but this is the first vehicle that holding it will not continue to blink! Thank you for clarifying that this is the normal function. I was thinking of calling service and preparing to bring it in.......

(I'm afraid it doesn't have the paddles, but that's okay with me because I learned to drive in an Auto and am horrible at shifting.)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
If you ever end up reading the manual, it's on page 37. I don't know how the salesman, even as useless as they typically are, didn't tell you how to operate the turn signal

You just press/raise the multifunction lever all the way and then release it, and then tap down to turn off.

Not sure if you've ever driven a modern BMW but I'm pretty sure they're basically all like this

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you for the reference page!

My wife is about to turn in a '15 535i GT and nope, if I hold the stalk at the first stop it will signal until I release it. The '12 E63 in the household is similar, although that is about 6 years old now I must confess.

I am getting used to it though. (My third time driving it. Our test drives we're basically a loop which did not require lane changes so I completely missed it).

·
Registered
3 Posts
No. It is designed in such a way that a small tap will give 3 blinks. if you want more blinks , go all the way past the resistance (or tap it again for 3 more). If you need to cancel the continuous blinking, tap in the other direction.
Correct! I was a little confused at the beginning, but now I quite like it. With this feature,nobody has any excuse not to signal when lane changing (my favorite peeve about Florida drivers )

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The online manual has the signal information on page 36. The instructions only mention two scenarios, one where you push past the first stop and signal a turn. The second is when you tap to the first stop, and it will signal 5 times, then stop. It does not mention specifically what happens when you hold it at the first stop. I tested the BMW last night and this morning just to make sure, and yes, if I hold the stalk at the first stop it will signal until I release it. If I tap to the first stop it will blink three times. I noticed with the Alfa it notes 5 times. I may try the Giulia to confirm when we go pick our son up from school in about an hour and a half....

Loving the sporty drive!....

·
Registered
554 Posts
The online manual has the signal information on page 36. The instructions only mention two scenarios, one where you push past the first stop and signal a turn. The second is when you tap to the first stop, and it will signal 5 times, then stop.
Definitely only signals 3 times at the first stop. In the US version, at least.

I don't know how the salesman, even as useless as they typically are, didn't tell you how to operate the turn signal
Is that a thing? When we finished all the paperwork, they just handed me the keys and said "enjoy!" and I practically sprinted out of the building with excitement. I didn't even test drive mine at any point.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,744 Posts
Perhaps stopping the turn signal when using the hold and signal position is a safety feature? You have more control of the car if you do not have your finger on the turn signal stalk for long periods of time.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perhaps stopping the turn signal when using the hold and signal position is a safety feature? You have more control of the car if you do not have your finger on the turn signal stalk for long periods of time.
I wonder if all FCA vehicles are like this? If this is so I'm guessing all the other manufacturers may follow suit......

(On the first morning with the car I remote started it. As I came close to opening the driver door I could hear a sound from inside. As I opened the door I noticed this was the sound of the park distance warning and within a couple of seconds of opening it stopped and the warning display went away. I giggled to myself electrical bug. I was guessing maybe the engineer might not have figured out a way to keep it signalling while holding in position, just the tripple blink upon reaching first resistance. Oh well).

Still loving how it drives, although my son seems to have wished we got something more luxurious and spacious.

Thank you everyone for the responses/insight!!!

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
it’s what we call “feature“

i’m beginning to like it so much, I’m having trouble driving my other cars.

The only oddball thing is that on shallow turns that I signal for, say a less than 45°, the return to center doesn’t disengage the turn signal and I have to do it manually with the tap.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
I wonder if all FCA vehicles are like this? If this is so I'm guessing all the other manufacturers may follow suit......

(On the first morning with the car I remote started it. As I came close to opening the driver door I could hear a sound from inside. As I opened the door I noticed this was the sound of the park distance warning and within a couple of seconds of opening it stopped and the warning display went away. I giggled to myself electrical bug. I was guessing maybe the engineer might not have figured out a way to keep it signalling while holding in position, just the tripple blink upon reaching first resistance. Oh well).

Still loving how it drives, although my son seems to have wished we got something more luxurious and spacious.

Thank you everyone for the responses/insight!!!
some of that Italian girlfriend personality comes out!

You’ll notice the proximity warning beeps but continue regardless of your driving mode until you’re clear of those proximities. The only way to disable this is to defeat it everywhere on the car on the dashboard.

I noticed after auto start when I walk up to the car it senses me walking in front of the front bumper.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The online manual has the signal information on page 36. The instructions only mention two scenarios, one where you push past the first stop and signal a turn. The second is when you tap to the first stop, and it will signal 5 times, then stop. It does not mention specifically what happens when you hold it at the first stop. I tested the BMW last night and this morning just to make sure, and yes, if I hold the stalk at the first stop it will signal until I release it. If I tap to the first stop it will blink three times. I noticed with the Alfa it notes 5 times. I may try the Giulia to confirm when we go pick our son up from school in about an hour and a half....

Loving the sporty drive!....
The Quad only blinks 3 times when you press the turn signal, it does not do 5, at least mine doesn't. I have learned to either press it fully or just press it lightly again for three more ......

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Definitely only signals 3 times at the first stop. In the US version, at least.

Is that a thing? When we finished all the paperwork, they just handed me the keys and said "enjoy!" and I practically sprinted out of the building with excitement. I didn't even test drive mine at any point.
My dad was a Mercedes and Volvo salesman at one point, explaining to the clients how the car works was to save the dealership more headaches from dumb questions than the client ... some dealerships have a specific person for deliveries, others have just the salesman. Of course we all know how it really works, and it's like what you said about being handed keys haha

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Quad only blinks 3 times when you press the turn signal, it does not do 5, at least mine doesn't. I have learned to either press it fully or just press it lightly again for three more ......
Yes, same with the plain Giulia, only 3 times. I am going to press fully as that is easier for me than trying to remember to tap again while looking for a safe opening to change lanes.

Never had an Italian girlfriend I’m afraid, or should I be glad? ?

5 blinks would be better I think. If I keep making the mistake of holding it, blinking 3 times would look like someone (I) changed their (my) mind on the lane change, or just made an errant tap of the stalk...

Glad to see that techauthority is only about $25 for a day. I may subscribe to poke around on what maybe done!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just drove my '18 QV and tried the OP's secnario, with different results. I held the blinker stalk at position he describes, and the blinker kept blinking until I released the stalk. Anywhere from 5 to 10 blinks, depending on how long I held the stalk, much as he describes his desired and expected reaction. So maybe a software update could change the behavior in his car? Or just buy an '18 QV. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
there are an awful lot of features for a salesman to actually take you through thoroughly. I think that is an unreasonable expectation, anymore than I would expect a computer salesman to show me how each feature works. I just want the salesman to help get more on the road. And by the way, the sales people I worked with at Ganley Alfa Romeo in Cleveland were very helpful in ways beyond user training. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The manual says lane change blinks 5 times, but mine blinks 3 for lane change. I suspect 5 blinks is the European spec and U.S. is 3. I've always seen 3 blinks for lane change in other cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts