Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to drive my 2017 Veloce home (Sydney Australia) tonight, and the motor started, lots of "service dampers, check engine, check transmission" warnings, etc - transmission would not engage. $75000 brick. The Alfa Roadside guy turned up pretty fast and determined it was the battery. Top dude- replaced it with a higher amp battery saying with all the electronics/systems in the car would need something like this. Gave me equivalent to a Mercedes AMG. Started up- all good. Said he'd had no probs with the Alfas, except one similar incident to mine. Anyone else had the same problem?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update. Battery didn't work- same warning messages and transmission doesn't engage. This is shite! Waiting on roadside then into service. :(

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
I would still say it was the battery
even an off the shelf new battery could still probably need a good charge

which dealership in Sydney?
I have heard here about batteries having some issues, mainly when it is cold. Should not happen, but better than actual big issues

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah just had the service guy from last night who got me going- he installed ANOTHER battery but this time wasn’t able to override the warnings. Can’t even put her into neutral to move her. Has to be towed 2 blocks. Papa Gallo I purchased from Zagame in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago. They were really helpful about it (Roberto called me on his day off) and basically said the dealerships service depts were to do whatever they had to to fix any Giulia problems- v. Important to Alfa apparently. I’m towing mine to the Leichhardt service guys. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's not good mate. Hope it's an easy fix. Keep us posted. My Veloce's 2 months now and knock on wood, its going well so far through the summer heat here in Melbourne.

My dealer (Melbourne) said they were adjusting the builds slightly to the Aus. conditions down there.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah I got mine from Zagame too. Apart from some minor glitches, she's holding up well. I've just passed 1.5K km, and have given her a good run up the hills. Man it sucks to see her on the truck. But she is pretty. :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I got mine from Zagame too. Apart from some minor glitches, she's holding up well. I've just passed 1.5K km, and have given her a good run up the hills. Man it sucks to see her on the truck. But she is pretty. :)

Thanks juz. Hopefully it's software. The Leichhardt service manager said they'd seen nothing like this. All their fixes were mainly software related. Gotta say that the Roadside Assist people were great, from Ace (yes that's his name) the young mechanic who wouldn't give up, to to the towies, one who cancelled his rig to get a better one to look after the car, and another who hung around for an hour and a half to supervise the less experienced towie who was on the way for the best result. Nice to see that kind of pride and dedication.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s the transmission ECM, nothing mechanical thank goodness. They suspect some power surge, perhaps dodgy battery related? No one knows for sure. Get her back early next week.

·
Registered
204 Posts
That's good news mate. My older 156 was always 'quirky' with the electronics. And I was always careful with battery changes - disconnecting -ve then +ve, leave it for and hour or 2 for good measure, then connect the new battery +ve then -ve. Hope you get her back soon, and take her up for a good run on Jenolan Caves rd. :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's good news mate. My older 156 was always 'quirky' with the electronics. And I was always careful with battery changes - disconnecting -ve then +ve, leave it for and hour or 2 for good measure, then connect the new battery +ve then -ve. Hope you get her back soon, and take her up for a good run on Jenolan Caves rd. :)

Jenolan Caves Rd -yes!! I want to set a personal best. Thanks for the advice on the battery man. I’ll be careful.

Service said it was one in a million, so here’s hoping :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unbelievably, the replacement Transmission ECM module arrived from Melbourne yesterday, and had been damaged in transit!
New unit shipped today, hopefully get her back for the weekend.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is interesting. When my 159 was new the original battery died within the first year or so. The chap who came to look at it said that it was seriously under-specced for the car, and replaced it with a beefed-up one.

Are cars shipped with batteries, or are they installed on arrival?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Unfortunately I might have a related issue. Bought Giulia TI out of state less than 2 weeks ago. Drove it back home that weekend (1,100 miles) but infotainment screen wouldn't turn on unless your disconnected and reconnected the battery, but it would switch off again eventually.

It's been in the local dealership 1 week today and they called me asking if I had switched out the battery. I didn't. They said the one that's in it isn't the original and they've no record of the change, but also the car wouldn't start for them. It may have been sitting for a few days though.

They're swapping it out and i'm hoping that's the issue with the screen. In the meantime I contacted the original dealer asking if they switched the battery. I hope that was the infotainment issue!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately I might have a related issue. Bought Giulia TI out of state less than 2 weeks ago. Drove it back home that weekend (1,100 miles) but infotainment screen wouldn't turn on unless your disconnected and reconnected the battery, but it would switch off again eventually.

It's been in the local dealership 1 week today and they called me asking if I had switched out the battery. I didn't. They said the one that's in it isn't the original and they've no record of the change, but also the car wouldn't start for them. It may have been sitting for a few days though.

They're swapping it out and i'm hoping that's the issue with the screen. In the meantime I contacted the original dealer asking if they switched the battery. I hope that was the infotainment issue!

Mate, the LAST thing you want in one of these cars is the wrong or a bad battery, as I found out! The annoying Stop/Start function, I was told, is a really good indicator of battery health. Good luck- make sure they put in a nice fresh (and right) battery.

Giulia Veloce. Stromboli Grey, Remus catback, red calipers, HK, black sports leather, sunroof. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts