Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to Covid I’ve been driving a lot less than I usually would, and so I’ve only put ~7k miles on my Giulia (Q4 Ti Lusso) over the last year, mostly driving on suburban or rural New England roads. My dash is now telling me I need an oil change even though I’m only at 27k miles. I’m assuming it’s not a problem for me to wait a couple months until I get closer to 30k miles for the 30k mile service, but has anyone had any experience with this? I’m going to spend most of the next month in quarantine in order to see family over the holidays and don’t know how to fit a service visit in without blowing up that schedule (and don’t love the idea of sitting in a dealership for two hours these days anyway).

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Due to Covid I’ve been driving a lot less than I usually would, and so I’ve only put ~7k miles on my Giulia (Q4 Ti Lusso) over the last year, mostly driving on suburban or rural New England roads. My dash is now telling me I need an oil change even though I’m only at 27k miles. I’m assuming it’s not a problem for me to wait a couple months until I get closer to 30k miles for the 30k mile service, but has anyone had any experience with this? I’m going to spend most of the next month in quarantine in order to see family over the holidays and don’t know how to fit a service visit in without blowing up that schedule (and don’t love the idea of sitting in a dealership for two hours these days anyway).
IMO, you should follow the suggested maintenance intervals. For oil change, it’s typically 10k or 12 months, whichever occurs earliest. It’s mileage and time based for a reason.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia QV
221 Posts
If you are not going over the mileage requirement for some services I'd say you are ok. Like oil. It's synthetic and will be fine for extended periods of time. Brake fluid can pick up moisture over time reducing effectiveness. If the car isn't being driven, is your cabin air filter really getting fouled? The only hole with this logic is of you have a warranty issue and the service center says it's because you did not do a maintenance but they would have to prove it and I highly doubt they would.

One Alfa service center told me I needed to get my brake fluid changed because I hit the two year mark but the car only had 7k or so miles on it. My current service garage said it was fine and there was no need to change it. I ended up doing it months later when it hit around 17k miles because the car was in for other stuff and the it was fine up to that point.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Change the oil, do the rest at 30k...unless they are due based upon date (brake fluid every 2 years).

Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
There is nothing wrong to follow the maintenance schedule you have in your owner's manual and your dashboard tracker is there to remind you of that. At your current driving rate, you would delay the oil change almost 6 months if you decide to wait to 30K miles. Your choice. For sure, we will be able to spend 2 hours at a crowded waiting room's dealership without masks in May 2021 !!!!

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
306 Posts
your first maintenance is free but you must do it before 12 months is up regardless of mileage or it will not be free.

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Giulia Ti Sport Q4
137 Posts
if your car is still under warranty, I would not miss a scheduled maintenance. While the oil may be fine keeping it over 12 months (synthetic oil doesn’t breakdown like conventional oil), FCA could deny a warranty claim for missing a maintenance window.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
The purpose of the 1 year oil change interval is to deal with water buildup in the oil due to condensation. I would think that in the New England area this is a real concern.

Small amounts of water in oil are boiled off by running the car for significant amounts of time at full operating temperature. Thus, one more reason why short runs are the enemy of your car's oil.

Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
555 Posts
Several years ago, my son had a valve problem on his Toyota Sequoia out of factory warranty, but the selling dealer had a "100K mile drivetrain warranty", but would not honor and repair his engine because in the fine print of his contract it mentioned periodic tire rotation, which he had not done. Toyota stepped up and paid for most of the repair cost.

So not maintaining 'by the book" may in some cases void a warranty. I just had my Quad's brake fluid changed for about $270, my cost, and am about to have my wife's Jag SUV done at two years also. Good preventive care. In the past I have changed my own rotors and pads on cars, and flushed brake fluids, but nowadays, with the sophisticated Anti-lock systems, they need a computer to cycle and reset applicable codes, and besides, I have an expensive long term warranty on both cars, and don't care to risk the coverage.

NV

1 - 12 of 12 Posts