Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took my beauty in for it's one year service today. She's at less than 7k and zero issues (long may it continue!). Upon arriving at my dealer (Danbury CT) I noticed a distinct lack of Fiats and more QV's, then my eyes landed on the service managers business card which had Maserati written on it. Upon questioning they had just signed! That filled me with a lot of joy as I was tempted to go to Miller after last time when they offered me two Fiats before giving me a Giulia.

The service manager was on point, reiterated that the first service was free but my break fluid flush wasn't. He questioned why I was getting it done as it usually is good for two years which I thought was very honest too.

Then off grab the loaner, went through the car park and noticed another QV parked up back along with a Misano blue and was taken to a Stevio which again made me happy as I wanted to try one. It was near enough brand new with 400 miles on the clock. Did notice slightly heavier breaks (though could be because it's new / countless other factors) certainly not as snatchy as mine. The turning isn't as sharp as mine either (which to be honest, i'd expect) but solid car. There was no lean I just felt you didn't feel the corners as much. I felt there was more room (especially in the head space). The exhaust pipes are huge but make the same sound and the wheel gap is pretty big too, though nothing I wouldn't expect from an SUV (I know it bothers a few). Overall I liked it.. I certainly loved sailing up our daft angled hill without slowing to a crawl in case I scrape :D

Will report back on whether to brake fluid gives a different feel but here's a pic of today's chariot!

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
I haven't tried Stelvio. Great to have seasoned Giulia owner commented on it. Q4 on Stelvio is a given, just that compare with Giulia the proportion good but not as great as Giulia (imo).

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"no lean"
something I've observed from too many videos, certainly far less than an Alfetta, which didn't bother me at all as the suspension was compliant and worked well on fast wavy and bumpy roads.
so my concern has been the suspension might be too stiff, as reading indicates stiffer springs as opposed to heavier ant-roll/sway bars.
lucky the quads have the soft suspension button/active damping thing, as I sure don't want the boss to say it rides like a M3/truck.
my ground clearance issue is the ice wall from snowplows at the end of the driveway - maybe I'll be able to lower it some.

is your car a Q4? if so, does the AWD feel essentially the same. if not, are you noticing it.

nice that your loaner and likely service ezperiences will be "upgraded".

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't tried Stelvio. Great to have seasoned Giulia owner commented on it. Q4 on Stelvio is a given, just that compare with Giulia the proportion good but not as great as Giulia (imo).
Yeah was very happy to note the differences. It's certainly a great car but very different feel despite the obvious similarities :)

"no lean"
something I've observed from too many videos, certainly far less than an Alfetta, which didn't bother me at all as the suspension was compliant and worked well on fast wavy and bumpy roads.
so my concern has been the suspension might be too stiff, as reading indicates stiffer springs as opposed to heavier ant-roll/sway bars.
lucky the quads have the soft suspension button/active damping thing, as I sure don't want the boss to say it rides like a M3/truck.
my ground clearance issue is the ice wall from snowplows at the end of the driveway - maybe I'll be able to lower it some.

is your car a Q4? if so, does the AWD feel essentially the same. if not, are you noticing it.

nice that your loaner and likely service ezperiences will be "upgraded".
I honestly don't expect you to feel any significant lean, especially with the QV edition. The Stelvio certainly holds itself right in place but I think the weight transfer is noticeable between a Q4 and the Stel, which i'm pretty sure is the 'feel' i'm describing. Suspension isn't spongy and is tight. Hit a couple of bumps and you feel them but at the same time is absorbed well (one's teeth doesn't fall out). Certainly no comparison to a bigger truck/SUV - Can tell it's sporty.

Ground clearance, i'd say 'watch' the height of the plow dumpings. The Alfa face (although very beautiful) loves to get it's face in there first... so just watch out you don't do an FNM and assume it's high enough, then hear a 'scrappppppppppe'. Just purely going on extreme plow dumps in front of my driveway. Should be good for 90% of snow falls imho.

Yes mine's a Q4. Performance wise it's still there, didn't notice any massive change. I might be going out in the Nor'easter/bit of snow depending on when the finish my car so I can give you a grip review but I wouldn't say it's night and day difference, the handling is where you see any I think.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
thanks for your insights - its sounds like it will be pretty much what I'm expecting.
but I'm only expecting rain fall from this storm - unless it get's really windy and then I have to worry about trees.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seems to be changing by the hour! Should be an interesting storm.

Well... I will have the Stelvio for longer. I went back on my lunch break to pick her up (and did) and 5 minutes out I thought i'd check to see if it was saying 10k again for the next oil change. It turned out the Infotainment module wasn't reset so back I go. Had to wait for a bit (+30 minutes) but it was finally reset. As i'm getting back in the car to leave a second time, I notice about a 2/3" scratch facing me on the window facing lip of the hood and two rather distinctive chip marks out of it. They had been doing a recall replacement there. I didn't even sit down before back inside I go. They're respraying it and best do a good job! I'm sensitive to this as they replaced my cup holder last year and left oily marks all over the center console but I got them out so didn't make a scene. I will be inspecting it carefully and if there's anything else, Miller awaits.

Word to all - check everything before you leave the dealer!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
oh, they are going to have to be a lot more careful as a maser dealer.
touch up paint (if noticed) can be cheap on a fiat, but people get a whole lot pickier on pricey $40 k and up, way up, vehicles

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Fullerton Alfa / Fiat in NJ will become Fullerton Alfa / Maserati I heard.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
interesting they're changing now. Wonder how Fiat will be sold/re-positioned as they totally got rid of them in mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts