Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1121 - 1140 of 1158 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I managed to get a 1.86. I have the pedal booster aswell and it definitely increases my times. Not by an insane amount but definitely an increase. How is it you did race mode? Is it a q4?
Yes q4. Full mod list in signature.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Reactions: Airbender

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi people! What times are you guyz running with a squadra tune on the q4 veloce? My times are stock or worse with it and I don't know why. Could use some help. The stuff I know is I launch it like everyone else, doesn't spin altho I don't have great tyres atm, and it doesn't bogg on any gear. I don't know, need some help. Gonna post some dragy runs.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,903 Posts
Hi people! What times are you guyz running with a squadra tune on the q4 veloce? My times are stock or worse with it and I don't know why. Could use some help. The stuff I know is I launch it like everyone else, doesn't spin altho I don't have great tyres atm, and it doesn't bogg on any gear. I don't know, need some help. Gonna post some dragy runs.
Did you mention that you have Race mode? If so, do you have the full tune in N?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,903 Posts
Yes I have racemode, and I think the N mode has limited hp but yes with the tune. Why?

Sent from my SM-S908N using Tapatalk
If the tune is only placed in D, when you enable Race mode it will then only use the N ECM map regardless of the DNA selection. So you may only be running stock power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the tune is only placed in D, when you enable Race mode it will then only use the N ECM map regardless of the DNA selection. So you may only be running stock power.
Yes but I have the tune applied on all of the modes. So even in A (but tuned down to 220 or so), and N and D and Racemode. I just don't think (or I might be wrong about this one), the temperature and the DA and the Q4 veloce equipment package (it's a tad heavier) would that much affect the times. I've seen people on squadra running 1 sec below my time. I just wanna understand why...

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,903 Posts
Yes but I have the tune applied on all of the modes. So even in A (but tuned down to 220 or so), and N and D and Racemode. I just don't think (or I might be wrong about this one), the temperature and the DA and the Q4 veloce equipment package (it's a tad heavier) would that much affect the times. I've seen people on squadra running 1 sec below my time. I just wanna understand why...
When you enable Race mode in MES (byte 88 set to CC or EC (Type 2 or Type 3)), you no longer have different DNA maps... you only have N.

N in D
N in N
N in A
N in R

The TCM and pedal maps change, but not the ECM maps.

Just letting you know that this is how it works when you enable Race mode. If you don't have the biggest tuned map in N, you are not getting the full potential of the tune.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Your DA is very high. 3600ft DA is going to take at least a second off a 1/4mile

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you enable Race mode in MES (byte 88 set to CC or EC (Type 2 or Type 3)), you no longer have different DNA maps... you only have N.

N in D
N in N
N in A
N in R

The TCM and pedal maps change, but not the ECM maps.

Just letting you know that this is how it works when you enable Race mode. If you don't have the biggest tuned map in N, you are not getting the full potential of the tune.
Just talked to tuner, yep, the map is on all modes. The car "adjusts" the map on each mode.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,903 Posts
Yes I agree, but I doubt it would be 1sec slower than the rest, or it would?
Yes. DA plays a HUGE role in an engines ability to make power.

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,903 Posts
Thanks guyz!
At the moment I'm trying to get my hands on an EC v2 intake, but it's been out of stock for months now...
I've lowered the car on eibach springs too, looks so much better than stock...the stock gap is unreal xD
Be careful with aftermarket intakes. They provide no performance increase, and can cause codes to be thrown. Only thing you get is turbo and DV sounds from them.

·
Vendor
4,503 Posts
Yes I agree, but I doubt it would be 1sec slower than the rest, or it would?
Depends. What was the ambient temps that day? What fuel were you using? 95RON, 98RON? ++ Slope at 21% does not help much either. I think you need to play around a bit more and find a more level area to mess with it. Doubt there is anything wrong with the tune.

See level: 20.9% effective oxygen. At 1100 m you are at 18.6% effective oxygen. That said turbocharging helps reduce this.

I would not worry too much about altitude. 1100m is not a lot.

Benefits Of Turbochargers at Elevation
Turbocharging at elevation is an efficient way to minimize horsepower loss due to elevation and lower air density. At high elevations turbochargers compress more air into the engine cylinders making up for the lower air density allowing the engine to produce power as if it was at sea level. This extra tunability is found only in turbocharged applications.

Pikes Peak International Hill Climb is a world-famous race that takes place in Colorado Springs, CO. It’s roads close to public traffic once a year as race teams from all over the world pilot their vehicles through 156 turns up the 12.42 mile course that starts at 9,000ft elevation and ends at 14,115ft at the summit. The “race to the clouds” is what some call it.

2019 marked the 96th running of this prestigious race where 100 vehicles were accepted and qualified to race. Some racers utilize naturally aspirated engines, and others have boosted engines. With the earlier information presented, can you imagine how a turbocharged vehicle provides an advantage over non—turbocharged?

Racers using boosted engines will match their turbo for the power they want to make at the start line (9,000 ft) and as they increase in elevation the ECU will adjust boost pressure and other parameters to maintain the same power as long as the turbocharger can support the additional air volume and shaft speed.

Using our free tool called Boost Adviser you can see the differences in Boost Pressure, Pressure Ratio, and Corrected Airflow needed to make the same power at different elevations. Here we compare sea level and 10,000 ft.

As an example, we entered the following parameters: 500 Target Horsepower, 3.5L Engine, Single Turbocharger, E85 Fuel, Air to Air Intercooler, 3 valves per cylinder, 4000 RPM Midrange, 7000 RPM Peak Power, 75 ° F, Elevation readings for 0 ft, and 10,000 ft

Boost Adviser results for Turbo at elevation and altitude

The chart above are the results of the calculations. Notice the difference in Pressure Ratio and Corrected Air Flow needed to produce the same power, with the same engine, at different altitudes. Boost pressure must also increase to compensate for the lower oxygen levels as elevation increases.

Mid range and Max power points are plotted on a GTX3582R Gen II compressor map below to help visualize the output of the compressor wheel. Using corrected flow as the X-axis and Pressure ratio as the Y-axis the colors represent different elevations. As the elevation increases the points move up and right due to the higher pressure ratios needed to produce the air flow for the Max power point.

GTX3582R Gen II compressor map with sea level and 10,00 ft elevation plots

One can conclude the GTX3582R Gen II is not the best match for a 500 horsepower race application at sea level. But when looking at it for a 500 horsepower application at 10,000 feet of elevation you can be confident this turbo will support the air flow needed to make the target horsepower and still be within the safe operating limits of the turbo.

A speed sensor is also a good accessory to have on your turbo because it measures shaft speed information determining if the turbocharger is reaching its maximum performance, for validating the turbo match, and for insuring that it is not over-speeding, allowing you to avoid potentially damaging operating conditions. Garrett Speed Sensor Kits are compatible with datalogers to enhance engine tuning capability. The boost gauge retains the maximum wheel speed for five minutes for easy mapping.

Most vehicles do not operate at extreme elevations like at Pikes Peak, but one factor will always be constant in that turbocharged vehicles can make up for the loss in air density by compressing more air into the engine allowing horsepower to stay consistent while non-turbocharged applications will continuously loose power with elevation.

1121 - 1140 of 1158 Posts