Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 431 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the wealth of tuning options out now for our cars, from intakes and exhaust, to ECU and TCM re-mapping, I think it's time for us to take stock of what the mods are doing for us by using that time-honored, American metric of 0-60 time.

RULES:

Yes, rules. There are 6 million ways of coming up with 0-60 times, but let's stick to demonstrable, verifiable results from appropriate devices, so Dragy, VBox, or other high-sampling rate GPS devices-- so no phone results-- and of course drag strip slips. In keeping with the standard protocol used at the track and by magazines like C&D, R&T, MT etc., only post 1ft rollout results. Post data sheets.

Phone results vary significantly for a variety of reasons and are unreliable, as is what you observed and what your buddy timed on his fancy chronograph watch, so please, spare us having to sift through that kind of stuff. It's not that any given result isn't specifically interesting, only that they are incomparable if there is not some standard of control. Everyone here can afford to throw down $150 for a Dragy, for example, so it's a small investment in order to obtain some results worth talking about.

Also, please be sure to list all relevant mods to producing your 0-60 time.

So, who's it?

I'll kick it off:

4.30sec

I run Madness' MaxPower Pro tune, AFE GT Momentum intake, and a Remus axle-back exhaust. It was a cold but otherwise perfect day, with a -2057ft DA.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Amazing time for a 2.0L. Assuming you were shifting manually? I will pick up a draggy soon and post some JB4 times if no one beats me to it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Make sure it’s on flat ground not downhill with wind behind. I can run a 3.0 downhill lol
Thats because you are lean and put sauce on your meatballs lol

Sorry, couldn't help myself

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amazing time for a 2.0L. Assuming you were shifting manually? I will pick up a draggy soon and post some JB4 times if no one beats me to it.
Not manual shifting, no, full automatic.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure it’s on flat ground not downhill with wind behind. I can run a 3.0 downhill lol
The great thing about having an appropriate device like the Dragy and posting datasheets is that you can see gradient. In my case, you can see it's uphill...granted ever so slightly, but still, uphill.

Wind you can't realistically control for, so if someone wants to go out and cheat time by selecting a gale-force day and taking the run with it at their back, well, there's not much which can be done about that, is there? Were there more people with willingness and ability to engage the topic we could ask for two-way runs and average the time, but most of us are knocking these out on the road, so doing out-and-back runs is difficult to do, so I'm content to accept that what we get is about as accurate as it can realistically get. I mean, drag strips don't run 2 ways, either. That's life.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thats because you are lean and put sauce on your meatballs lol

Sorry, couldn't help myself

Gravy. It’s gravy. Sunday gravy lol. Over half a million Italians in south Philly. We call it gravy. We don’t eat like a medegone.

When I get my qv back I’ll do some draggy times. I was running 3.8 in D mode off phone app. They are not accurate. It was too cold to get it to hook in race. I’m thinking good dry day, heated tires and about 60 degrees I can def run a 3.5 in race mode on draggy. After it’s out of shop I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s even lower on a prepped track. Qv that can hook is in NSX speed territory no doubt.

·
Registered
415 Posts
someone should do runs with and without the mirrors folded in to see if it's a measurable difference.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
someone should do runs with and without the mirrors folded in to see if it's a measurable difference.
It's a fair question, but I don't think at such low speeds aero is a significant part of the result equation, and in any case, with so many other variables uncontrolled, it'd be virtually impossible to suss out the mirror position impact.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Will do. Would love to meet you an you’re beautiful car one day too. Would be very fun
I'm down your way quite a bit. My inlaws are 15 min out of Philly in Jersey. My wife was working at the Continental when we first started dating and lived in Old City.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Will do. Would love to meet you an you’re beautiful car one day too. Would be very fun
I'm down your way quite a bit. My inlaws are 15 min out of Philly in Jersey. My wife was working at the Continental when we first started dating and lived in Old City.
I’m always around. Continental uptown or old city? That use to be my spot back in day. Still solid place. Let me know and we can meet up. I’m always available.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Old City

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just one quick try on my way home from work.
Quite cold outside (9°C), running on winter tires.
EC V1, EC P2 (toned down; stock exhaust)

Compared to the current best from @chaadster you can clearly see that the launch is much less aggressive.

Will be much more interesting once I have my Michelin PS4 mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
I run Madness' MaxPower Pro tune, AFE GT Momentum intake, and a Remus axle-back exhaust. It was a cold but otherwise perfect day, with a -2057ft DA.
How do you get to a -2057ft DA?

Also, are we looking at true 0-60times, or the estimated 1 ft roll out 0-60 times? It makes quite a bit of difference since some cars don't seem to have a very good initial launch.

·
Registered
79 Posts
How do you get to a -2057ft DA?

Also, are we looking at true 0-60times, or the estimated 1 ft roll out 0-60 times? It makes quite a bit of difference since some cars don't seem to have a very good initial launch.
Density altitude is pressure altitude corrected for temperature. So if it were colder than “standard”, you’d get a negative density altitude. This means a N/A engine makes more power. As I understand it, effects on forced induction engines are lessened since they create their own pressure.

1 - 20 of 431 Posts
About this Discussion
430 Replies
54 Participants
BlackMambaQV
Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
We’re the top forum to discuss Alfa Romeo Giulia’s seductive styling, luxury and race level performance.
Full Forum Listing