Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, only had this car about a month, love everything about driving it so far!

Went to open the sunroof this morning, and nothing happened. Same story with the shade and vent functions. Read in other threads about reinitializing the sunroof by holding the close button and restarting the car and all that.
I went to try this process, and instead of hearing ”a few clicks” when holding the close button like is expected, I’m getting a loud noise from the sunroof mechanism that sounds like slipping or grinding. I’ve tried to initialize it 5 or 6 times now, and no luck. Just the same loud noise each time. I’ll take it to the dealer if necessary, but obviously would like to avoid that trip. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here is a video of the noise-

· Registered
5,868 Posts
Hey everyone, only had this car about a month, love everything about driving it so far!

Went to open the sunroof this morning, and nothing happened. Same story with the shade and vent functions. Read in other threads about reinitializing the sunroof by holding the close button and restarting the car and all that.
I went to try this process, and instead of hearing ”a few clicks” when holding the close button like is expected, I’m getting a loud noise from the sunroof mechanism that sounds like slipping or grinding. I’ve tried to initialize it 5 or 6 times now, and no luck. Just the same loud noise each time. I’ll take it to the dealer if necessary, but obviously would like to avoid that trip. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here is a video of the noise-
If you’ve tried the initialization procedure without success I think dealer is the next step.

· Registered
2 Posts
The moonroof on my 2019 TI Sport wasn't doing anything. No noises clicking or otherwise. I tried a couple different versions of the initialization procedure including going through the steps with the dealer leading me through the steps, no help.

I called Alfa customer care and it was suggested that I pull 1 cable off the battery for a few seconds.

The guy didn't know where the battery was located (thought it was in the engine compartment) or how many seconds, so I wasn't holding out much hope.

I pulled the cable off of the negative terminal for about 5 seconds and it worked. I had to reset the clock but no other ill effects.

There is a quick release on the cable, easily depressed with a thumb. Couldn't have been easier.

Hope this helps, YMMV.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The moonroof on my 2019 TI Sport wasn't doing anything. No noises clicking or otherwise. I tried a couple different versions of the initialization procedure including going through the steps with the dealer leading me through the steps, no help.

I called Alfa customer care and it was suggested that I pull 1 cable off the battery for a few seconds.

The guy didn't know where the battery was located (thought it was in the engine compartment) or how many seconds, so I wasn't holding out much hope.

I pulled the cable off of the negative terminal for about 5 seconds and it worked. I had to reset the clock but no other ill effects.

There is a quick release on the cable, easily depressed with a thumb. Couldn't have been easier.

Hope this helps, YMMV.
Will try it at lunch today, have an appointment for tomorrow am, hopefully I’ll be able to cancel

· Registered
5,868 Posts
Update: 8/7-
Took to dealer and they told me the sunroof tracks need to be replaced...Have to wait a while on parts. Never touching the sunroof again once it is fixed haha
I’d open it every day (it’s still under warranty) 😎

· Registered
1 Posts
Update: 8/7-
Took to dealer and they told me the sunroof tracks need to be replaced...Have to wait a while on parts. Never touching the sunroof again once it is fixed haha
Hi DrSoup,

I'm currently experiencing the same issue. My motor sounds exactly like what you posted in your videos. So doing the re-test or initialization process is not a solution to this problem? Most likely it will be the tracks as well, huh. Thank you for your response.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.