Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Best Driving Roads near Denver

8K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  mtb.ck 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new here but I'm out of Denver, CO and for those in the area, I was wondering what you would recommend for good driving roads near Denver or maybe down by castle rock. Just looking for cool, twisty back roads for an afternoon drive that don't take up a whole day like driving way up into the mountains.

#2 ·
A nice simple loop from Denver is to take 285 to N. Turkey Creek Rd, then head into Evergreen and then back down to Morrison on 74. This won't take up too much of your morning. There are a ton of other nice driving roads in this area, but they can get crowded.

Be careful, there are a lot of bikes and some of these roads are residential so the locals don't necessarily like people driving fast on "their road".

#5 ·
There are a ton of good roads right in the foothills. 67 out of Sedalia up to where it meets the dirt road is a fun one, Deer and Turkey Creek, Indian Hills, Evergreen/Bear Creek, Squaw Pass, HWY 119, Coal Creek and Golden Gate head east off of those and are fun. Personal favorite of mine is HWY 126 south from Pine to 67 into Deckers. Earlier the better, traffic has gotten ridiculous over the past couple years. While Bear Creek (HWY 74) between Evergreen and Morrison is fun, it is 90% of the time a crawl due to all of the traffic that frequents that little stretch. Lookout Mountain above Golden is good too, but there are often a lot of bicyclists.

#8 ·
Some other really nice roads up north of Denver include a loop from CR 23 up to Carter Lake, jog over to CR 29 and do Loveland Reservoir, then north to Masonville, up Buckhorn Canyon, across Stove Prairie and down the Poudre Canyon to Fort Collins and a brewery. This loop takes about 2 hours, but there is really limited traffic in Buckhorn Canyon and around Loveland Reservoir. Poudre Canyon (HWY 14) has some but you can just chill and watch the river on your way back down to town.

A little further afield, but VERY entertaining is Monarch Pass from US-24 into Gunnison. The way back towards Denver is a beautiful road with a passing lane on the uphill side the whole way. I did it in my B6 S4 Avant yesterday and had a blast.

#11 ·
Premier locals loop (you see the day HP supercar tour on weekends, Lambos, MB GTS, 911GT3/4...) is Hwy 93 to Coal Creek canyon Hwy 72 westbound through Wondervu to Peak to Peak Hwy 119, South to 2nd Golden Gate Canyon Road Hwy 46, East toward Golden back to Hwy 93. Scenic, twisty and sublime.

Side trips to Centennial Cone and White Ranch off of GGCR Hwy 46 are sweet also.

Hundreds of turns, fresh asphalt, great views, food in Wundervu and on P2P, 5,500 ft to 8,888 elevation. Don't tell anyone. Our secret.

Also, north of Boulder, Lefthand Canyon thru Ward to Peak to Peak, North to Hwy 7, S St Vrain Dr East to Lyons is da bomb, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.