3Likes
  • 1 Post By lockem
  • 1 Post By lost1750GTV
  • 1 Post By nbview
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hwy 1 / PCH Road Trip

Alfisti,

Although it's months away (I'm targeting September-October), I'm planning my Highway 1 road trip. I'd like to take it easy with the Giulia TI Sport and then next year follow it up on my motorcycle once I get my gear and setup in place. Since I'm new to the region, would anyone be able to share if they've done such a trip and any recommendations, places to see & watch out for, hotels, things to do, etc.?

Grazie!

19' Giulia TI Sport, Stromboli Gray, Red Interior
Forza Juve!

Based in Bakersfield, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniele2296 View Post
Alfisti,

Although it's months away (I'm targeting September-October), I'm planning my Highway 1 road trip. I'd like to take it easy with the Giulia TI Sport and then next year follow it up on my motorcycle once I get my gear and setup in place. Since I'm new to the region, would anyone be able to share if they've done such a trip and any recommendations, places to see & watch out for, hotels, things to do, etc.?

Grazie!
CA SR-1 is a very long highway, are you intending to drive the whole thing, or just part? If just part, what part?

Starting from Bakersfield heading north "must see" for a 1-2 day trip are tour the Hearst Castle (reservations are recommended), hiking in Big Sur, see Pebble Beach and if timed right hit up a race at Laguna Seca Raceway and/or the Concurs D'Elegance in Carmel/Pebble Beach. Be sure to make certain that SR-1 is open, there have been problems with landslides in the Big Sur area causing long term closures.
Daniele2296 likes this.

Current vehicles
1998 Case 580L series 2
1999 Mazda Protege ES
2000 Dodge Ram 4x4 2500 Cummins
2007 Kestrel Talon SL with HED-3 wheels
2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV
2017 Polaris XP900 with tracks and full cab.
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Q4 sport everything
Past vehicles of note
1994 WhiteGMC single axle dump
1971 Norton Commando
1964 Jaguar E-type convertible

Last edited by lockem; 04-15-2019 at 03:27 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 09:53 AM

stay at the lodge (or camp) at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, walk up to the swimming hole there. Nepenthe restaurant is kinda perfect for CA tour/vacation.
Daniele2296 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Unread 04-15-2019, 08:31 PM

Unless you're afraid of heights, I recommend you travel north to south so you get a better view - as opposed to looking over the SB lane from the NB lane. Also, terrific scenery in Sonoma and Mendocino counties along with some great wine/food.
Daniele2296 likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Unread Today, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone for the replies! Should have clarified, sorry, I will be starting from San Francisco (hoping to sync up a work trip) and then headed south until Los Angeles unless there is a reason to head down all the way to San Diego. Looking at 4-5 day trip total, but that's flexible as well.

19' Giulia TI Sport, Stromboli Gray, Red Interior
Forza Juve!

Based in Bakersfield, CA
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Unread Today, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniele2296 View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies! Should have clarified, sorry, I will be starting from San Francisco (hoping to sync up a work trip) and then headed south until Los Angeles unless there is a reason to head down all the way to San Diego. Looking at 4-5 day trip total, but that's flexible as well.
Ignoring the usual tourist spots in SF, the first thing to see is the beach south of Pacifica (Pacifica State Beach). At the south end of said beach you will find the place where the San Andreas fault runs out to sea. The cliff at that beach is particularly geologically complex, so if you have the inclination have a look-see.

It might also be worth checking if you can participate in HPDE at Laguna Seca Raceway.

There is the beach boardwalk in Santa Cruz if you are into that sort of thing.

Monterey has a famous and very large aquarium. Boating tours are available in Monterey and Santa Cruz, offers sight seeing (coastline and Farallon Islands) and whale and shark watching. Please note that it is always cold out on the water in this area.

At the right times of year you can see Elephant Seals on several of the beaches along your drive. I am not sure when the right time of year happens.

Of course most of the road would be great to drive aggressively in your Alfa, but traffic is likely to put a huge damper on that.

Current vehicles
1998 Case 580L series 2
1999 Mazda Protege ES
2000 Dodge Ram 4x4 2500 Cummins
2007 Kestrel Talon SL with HED-3 wheels
2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV
2017 Polaris XP900 with tracks and full cab.
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Q4 sport everything
Past vehicles of note
1994 WhiteGMC single axle dump
1971 Norton Commando
1964 Jaguar E-type convertible
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Unread Today, 09:45 AM

Have a nice trip Daniele, ma Forza Toro!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in