Anyone using piggy back tuning options? - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
 23Likes

post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
I certainly cant argue with you there. The issue for me is that at that price point youre up to where ECU flash tunes start and in my experience its a no brainer that if youre going to pay the same amount youre better off with a flash tune.
The price is getting close to an ECU swap, but the ease of removal on the piggyback is worth something as well.
Also, don’t need to remove the ECU, mail it, wait for it, not drive in the meantime, get it back, reinstall......
If your getting clone ECU’s they are closer to $4000 not $900.

I will see where the ECU technology and price are in 3 years when my warranty expires.
In the meantime, very happy with the Madness MaxPower Pro

2017 Giulia Quadrifoglio (Alfa Rosso)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:22 PM

Are there actually flash tunes near $900?? Everything I recall was either side of $2k, and double that if wanted clones.
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:17 PM

I believe Flash Tunes are around $1300 at a couple of sources. That said, the piggyback is 2/3rds that, doesn't involve pulling/installing the ECUs and currently holds the fastest QV 0-60, so depending on what you want out of the car, it's pretty viable and pretty reasonably priced. That said, I think that 10.75 quarter mile QV is a flash. :-)

Odds are, in a few years, more QVs will have been crashed and 2nd hand ECUs should come down in price... and a clone setup may be more viable.

Though it all comes back to the one question I've yet to hear answered. How come the dealer can flash my ECU but no one aftermarket can? I'm pretty sure they didn't pull my ECUs for the last update. I get that there's encryption involved, but when did that stop anyone? Pulling encryption keys out of memory on a running system is borderline common these days. Bribing someone with access to the keys is even more common. But I digress. I think my point was $900 for a piggyback vs. $1300 + time (every time you get a dealer flash update...) is pretty reasonable. All the way up until someone with an ECU flash crushes that 3.49 0-60, and suddenly the "value" for that $1300 flash goes up. :-)

I love the fact that people are pretty exhaustively embracing all the options out there, as it allows the rest of us to make more informed decisions later.

2017 Giulia QV - Rosso Competizione
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:38 PM

is there a link to above discussed qv with a 10.75 sec quater mile time?
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:04 PM

I brought in my QV for the distance controller recall today. It took me 20 min to uninstall the Madness unit. Driving around without it all day, the car felt slugish and like I needed to give it more gas to get going--both off the line and in the mid-range. It was raining all day so I didn't get to play with the top end to compare it to what I am now used to.

I just put my baby daughter to sleep and went straight to the garage to re-install it. Once you get use to the throttle response and its eagerness to go there is no going back. a word of caution though, when there is a traffic gap, make sure you have enough space before you punch it as it is like getting shot from a slingshot and you will be standing on the brakes when that bumper you thought was so far away is not right in front of you.

I sure a flash is slightly faster but for the increased throttle response and power, I am happy with my piggy-back as it is more power than can be reasonably used in spirited driving. Also, when the turbo hits it is a lot more harsh so if you are not looking for that "push you into your seat" acceleration, than it is not for you.
lowlight and LBAlphaQV like this.

Four Wheels: QV, VB, CCB, Sparcos
Two Wheels: KTM Super Duke

Last edited by maddmike; 04-12-2019 at 11:06 PM.
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:47 PM

Garage
has anyone tried fabspeed's option yet? I like them as a company and have lots of Porsche history with their products.

2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraripete View Post
has anyone tried fabspeed's option yet? I like them as a company and have lots of Porsche history with their products.
Yes. Works perfect. Tune and sportcat.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0svN...HgHx8e0qIgMbug
lowlight likes this.
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:16 PM

I ended up getting the Madness Maxpower pro, installed yesterday and about 50 miles on it so far. Not sure if there will be much of a difference between here and the end of the 80 mile (roughly) adjustment period but so far so good. Definitely the biggest gains are in the midrange, I would love to put it on a dyno and see what the comparisons are between the two but from seat of the pants the estimated gains of 80hp seem plausible. It does change the way the car builds power, its not quite as linear as it is stock since the midrange seems to come in stronger and presumably there arent as big of gains to be had up top. That might bother some, but Im coming from a diesel car with 600 lb ft at 2000 rpm so to me this still has a pretty linear power delivery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page