Spring choice for 2018 QV - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
 231Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 294 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 12:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Andy1gg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Glendale ca
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerchantJacks View Post
Ordered The H&R 28715-2 springs for my 2018 Alfa QV. I always go with H&R if I am going with a spring choice on any of my cars.

Best price I found, its a 2 week wait time at the moment. $286 shipped. Very nice customer service.
Will attach pictures and measurement after install, and alignment.

http://raceconsultingagency.com/i-74...yABEgJaDvD_BwE
I got h&r springs on my 2.0 and very happy with them. Good choice

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Andy1gg is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 294 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerchantJacks View Post
Ordered The H&R 28715-2 springs for my 2018 Alfa QV. I always go with H&R if I am going with a spring choice on any of my cars.

Best price I found, its a 2 week wait time at the moment. $286 shipped. Very nice customer service.
Will attach pictures and measurement after install, and alignment.

http://raceconsultingagency.com/i-74...yABEgJaDvD_BwE
Thanks for sharing your info/experience!

I was closely checking out a new 2018 QV on local dealers show floor. Couldn't help but notice considerable gap in OEM suspension. Disappointed that Alfa chose to raise hight from 2017 to current models; but American griping ruins yet another European car characteristic is not surprising either.

Still, aftermarket springs are now a must. Some have tried ST springs (made by KW I believe), and I think Eibach & H&R have offerings as well. Hopefully we can get more impressions going + spring rates & drop so we can all make informed decisions.

Current: Tundra, 3GT
Past: GTI, Evo VIII, Mustang, Si, Evo X
lowlight is online now  
post #23 of 294 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 09:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
Thanks for sharing your info/experience!

I was closely checking out a new 2018 QV on local dealers show floor. Couldn't help but notice considerable gap in OEM suspension. Disappointed that Alfa chose to raise hight from 2017 to current models; but American griping ruins yet another European car characteristic is not surprising either.

Still, aftermarket springs are now a must. Some have tried ST springs (made by KW I believe), and I think Eibach & H&R have offerings as well. Hopefully we can get more impressions going + spring rates & drop so we can all make informed decisions.
Ride height should be IDENTICAL. On the show room floor they often have the shipping spring stops on them. That will appear to raise the car about an inch.
MINIME likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2018 Quadrifoglio Rosso Competizione
Bender is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 294 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawei213 View Post
New member, long time lurker. I've been following the forum and this car since it was announced. Now I'm seriously looking into this car but have some questions still, especially with the suspension.

Does any one know the spring rates of some of the aftermarket lower springs and whether the stock shocks (and expensive ones at that) have enough damping and travel to not bottom out and wear out prematurely? Since the vehicle is just 2 years old, stories of blown shocks haven't surfaced yet but that may change in another year or two.
It's not just wearing out of the shocks you need to worry about, it's changing handling characteristics. Lots of people say "it's lower and handles better!" Wrong. There is a TON of math that goes into a suspension and suspension geometry.

Draw an isosceles triangle on it's side. Now move the point down. What happens to everything in that triangle? It shifts. It makes some lines shorter, some lines longer. It changes all of the math.

Don't change your springs on a sports car unless you are rebuilding the ENTIRE suspension. Control arms, sway bars, end links, springs, shocks, bushings, wheels, tires.

If you aren't designing something that holistically works together, don't do it. You'll ruin the car.
Endeavour likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2018 Quadrifoglio Rosso Competizione
Bender is offline  
post #25 of 294 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
It's not just wearing out of the shocks you need to worry about, it's changing handling characteristics. Lots of people say "it's lower and handles better!" Wrong. There is a TON of math that goes into a suspension and suspension geometry.

Draw an isosceles triangle on it's side. Now move the point down. What happens to everything in that triangle? It shifts. It makes some lines shorter, some lines longer. It changes all of the math.

Don't change your springs on a sports car unless you are rebuilding the ENTIRE suspension. Control arms, sway bars, end links, springs, shocks, bushings, wheels, tires.

If you aren't designing something that holistically works together, don't do it. You'll ruin the car.
Yep, Agree, Yep
MINIME is offline  
post #26 of 294 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Ride height should be IDENTICAL. On the show room floor they often have the shipping spring stops on them. That will appear to raise the car about an inch.
The part number changed from 2017 in June. I asked Alfa Care they checked with their engineers and stated clearly there is no change in height. Additionally they change part numbers because they can change vendors. Folks are pretty insistent that they changed the height and not only did i ask AC but I checked with the Dealerships here as well as the Service Managers in Strongsville. They made it like I was nuts and no there is no change. But if folks want to order springs so be it. I can think of other things to spend money on.
Endeavour likes this.
MINIME is offline  
post #27 of 294 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 422
Installing progressive rate springs on struts designed for stock rates is a fast way to ruin shocks. Everyone puts slammer springs on their car, and ruins shocks in short order.

Not to mention the increased rate makes the car ride nasty, twitchy, and puts creaks and other noises into an otherwise a well-designed vehicle- nasty to drive. These days it isn't handling, it's for ideal pics and 'stance' on Instagram. Same goes for coilovers, noisy and harsh and short lived.

Some cars, you can lower and get away with it- a car designed with a pedestrian suspension, sure- but a car like a Giulia, it's just for looks and hard parking pics on the internet. That's all you get.
Alfissimo, Bender and Endeavour like this.

2018 Giulia TI Sport- Vulcano / Red

Last edited by He's Deaf; 07-22-2018 at 11:04 AM.
He's Deaf is offline  
post #28 of 294 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 422
How do noises and broken parts from increased spring rates become AR's fault? They'll say you modified it, and that will be the end of it. That's not 'performance' that's a modification from stock and puts the vehicle out of factory parameters.

You know why noises happen? The mandatory spring rate increase so the car doesn't bottom out from reduced height puts extra stress on the body structure, the extra force has to go somewhere. On many vehicles lowering also puts stress due to odd geometry on components such as ball joints, causing premature failure. Stock struts blow seals, since the increased rate puts extra pressure on internal seals.

Any aftermarket parts designed to cope with lowering springs will cause the car to ride worse than it does just to cope with the stress.
Alfissimo, Bender and Endeavour like this.

2018 Giulia TI Sport- Vulcano / Red
He's Deaf is offline  
post #29 of 294 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 11:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by He's Deaf View Post
Installing progressive rate springs on struts designed for stock rates is a fast way to ruin shocks. Everyone puts slammer springs on their car, and ruins shocks in short order.

Not to mention the increased rate makes the car ride nasty, twitchy, and puts creaks and other noises into an otherwise a well-designed vehicle- nasty to drive. These days it isn't handling, it's for ideal pics and 'stance' on Instagram. Same goes for coilovers, noisy and harsh and short lived.

Some cars, you can lower and get away with it- a car designed with a pedestrian suspension, sure- but a car like a Giulia, it's just for looks and hard parking pics on the internet. That's all you get.
Exactly. Even worse on a QV.
Alfissimo, Endeavour and He's Deaf like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


2018 Quadrifoglio Rosso Competizione
Bender is offline  
post #30 of 294 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 422
Aftermarket does a wonderful job of extolling the virtues of lowering by claiming handling improvement this and that. Internets say there's no problems. Poly this, spherical bushings that, no rubber, aluminum shock tops, 'NO PROBLEM!' 'Rides like stock!!" 'feels like a Cadillac!' ''Handles like an f1 car!' they all say.

BS. All that stuff sucks on the street, and destroys the car's manners.

Recently, I warned this subaru person NOT to put camber plates on her STi, of course she didn't listen- the internets and the vendor all said no side effects. 3 days after her install I get a video on my phone, she asked me if the car sat higher in the front (DUH) and was wondering why when she turned the wheel the car sounding like it was crushing rocks up front? I told her, what did you expect when you took all the rubber out of the front end and replaced it with poly and aluminum. Crashed and squeaked over everything on the road. Sounded like dog poo. Totally ruined a new Subaru.

7 days after that, the plates were gone.

Aftermarket is a lot of hype-people will give up manners for looks. Don't get me wrong, I do it as well but I try to limit it to cars that were poor handlers to begin with I ain't chopping a BMW or a Giulia. Ruins it.
Alfissimo and Bender like this.

2018 Giulia TI Sport- Vulcano / Red
He's Deaf is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome