Steel Rotors for CCB Car? - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
 48Likes

post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Steel Rotors for CCB Car?

Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Does anyone know if any company has/is-working-on steel rotors that will fit with the CCB calipers? I知 considering buying a used CCB equipped car, but worry about the cost of tracking it with those brakes. I was able to find a place to replace the entire brake system with steel, but I知 not interested in swapping the calipers. Ideally I could run the CCBs on the street and swap in the steels for the couple of track days I plan per year.

For reference, the entire steel replacement kit:http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styli...tem::9099.html
lowlight likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 11:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callabrator View Post
Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Does anyone know if any company has/is-working-on steel rotors that will fit with the CCB calipers? I知 considering buying a used CCB equipped car, but worry about the cost of tracking it with those brakes. I was able to find a place to replace the entire brake system with steel, but I知 not interested in swapping the calipers. Ideally I could run the CCBs on the street and swap in the steels for the couple of track days I plan per year.

For reference, the entire steel replacement kit:http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styli...tem::9099.html
Do you actually mean to run steel on the track and forgo the superior braking power of the carbons ceramics and the faster acceleration due to lower rotating mass?

Perhaps you meant steel for every day use and save the carbon ceramic壮 for the track. Please clarify, I知 confused.

Ciao,
Max likes this.

mtb.ck

2017 Alfa Giulia Ti Q4
Ti Performance Pkg.
Eurocompulsion and Centerline Int値 Upgrades
35w BiXenon aftermarket beams
General G-MAX AS-05
25.7k blissful miles
And 2.0k miles of Infotainment reboots

ZERO PROBLEMS from May 2017-Dec '18
Infotainment Weather Report: Stormy 12/27-1/6. Clear skys 1/7-2/3. Single day of reboots on 2/4.
ZERO PROBLEMS again from Feb 5, 2019 - now. Avanti!

Denver Front Range
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 12:42 AM

Garage
Intuitively, I’d have to say you can’t use them with the existing carbon ceramic brake calipers, partly because the carbon ceramic rotors are different sizes than the steel rotors, I believe. Not 100% positive but believe that may be true.

2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio
Rosso Competizione/Blk w/Red Stitching, Full Xpel Ultimate (see video).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio
Trofeo White/Blk w/Red Stitching
2018 Alfa 4C Spider (In my garage but awaiting the Title.)
Rosso Competizione/Blk Leather
2018 Alfa Stelvio Ti Sport
Silverstone/Chocolate Brown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 01:26 AM

If you don’t have a (heavily sponsored) race team or particularly love lighting money on fire, CCB are often not ideal for the a street / track dual purpose car. If you’re going to go taring them up, often times folks would prefer to destroy a cheaper steel set.

This is ver common in the Porsche tracking community.

-Tom.

2012 Lunar Blue C63 P31
Boson, MA
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by computertom View Post
If you don稚 have a (heavily sponsored) race team or particularly love lighting money on fire, CCB are often not ideal for the a street / track dual purpose car. If you池e going to go taring them up, often times folks would prefer to destroy a cheaper steel set.

This is ver common in the Porsche tracking community.

-Tom.
Yeah exactly that. I got the idea of swapping to steel for track use from an HPDE instructor I had years ago who ran a 997 GT3RS as a dedicated track car. Difference there was that he swapped the whole system (calipers and all) for steel, and kept the CCB in a box with the intent to swap them back in someday when it came time to sell the car.

I知 looking to do it a bit different, as mine would serve double duty as a road car that occasionally does track work. I was wondering if I could enjoy the benefits of the CCB for the street (lower brake dust, low maintenance, etc) and steels for the track (cheaper to replace, lots of pad options, no worry about scoring/chipping rotors with rocks in the chance I have an off into the dirt). I知 aware that the braking performance isn稚 theoretically as good with steels, but I知 not looking to set lap records, just have fun at HPDE events.
lowlight likes this.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3456 View Post
Intuitively, I壇 have to say you can稚 use them with the existing carbon ceramic brake calipers, partly because the carbon ceramic rotors are different sizes than the steel rotors, I believe. Not 100% positive but believe that may be true.
Yeah, the front OEM steel rotors for the QV are 360mm and the CCB痴 are 390mm. Hence the reason I was wondering if any aftermarket rotors existed.

Another concern I just dug up is that the Brembo documentation on the CCBs says the calipers are specifically designed for CCB rotors...which might mean this whole idea is asking for trouble...
http://www.brembo.com/en/company/news/alfa-romeo-giulia
lowlight likes this.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 08:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callabrator View Post
Yeah exactly that. I got the idea of swapping to steel for track use from an HPDE instructor I had years ago who ran a 997 GT3RS as a dedicated track car. Difference there was that he swapped the whole system (calipers and all) for steel, and kept the CCB in a box with the intent to swap them back in someday when it came time to sell the car.

I知 looking to do it a bit different, as mine would serve double duty as a road car that occasionally does track work. I was wondering if I could enjoy the benefits of the CCB for the street (lower brake dust, low maintenance, etc) and steels for the track (cheaper to replace, lots of pad options, no worry about scoring/chipping rotors with rocks in the chance I have an off into the dirt). I知 aware that the braking performance isn稚 theoretically as good with steels, but I知 not looking to set lap records, just have fun at HPDE events.
Why buy that particular CCB equipped Quadrifoglio then? From the sound of it, you really don稚 need CCB in the first place, and even changing them back to steel doesn稚 make any sense as the CCB last much longer than steel. My understanding is that they are twice is expensive than steel rotors but also last nearly twice as long. If you池e only going to HPDEs then it is doubtful you壇 end up in the gravel as they tend to bring people in for driving recklessly with other people on the track. HPDEs are not racing events versus club racing. Seems like you may be getting way ahead of yourself making a costly purchase of a car with CCBs then making a just as costly conversion back to steel to only attend a few HPDEs. Save your money and find a steel brake car.

2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio
Rosso Competizione/Blk w/Red Stitching, Full Xpel Ultimate (see video).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio
Trofeo White/Blk w/Red Stitching
2018 Alfa 4C Spider (In my garage but awaiting the Title.)
Rosso Competizione/Blk Leather
2018 Alfa Stelvio Ti Sport
Silverstone/Chocolate Brown
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 09:34 AM

For just a couple events a year wouldn't the CCB setup be just fine? The Driving instructor who is out every weekend would be much harder on the brakes than someone out just a few times.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3456 View Post
Why buy that particular CCB equipped Quadrifoglio then?
For exactly the reasons I listed, namely low brake dust and low wear for street use. The thought of having clean wheels all the time is rather appealing! The car I知 looking at is priced competitively with steel brake cars. The initial cost of the CCBs looks to have been mostly lost in depreciation already.

And to give you some insight, I知 already an experienced, clean, solo HPDE driver. I致e not yet had an off. That said, experience at the track has thought me that things can happen to even the best of us.

Afaik, CCBs will basically last the life of a car if driven only on the street. There are some excellent threads on this forum that show that a tracked car will wear them considerably faster. Back of the napkin math shows that the full replacement (rotors+pads) cost of CCBs is roughly 10x the cost of steel ($15k vs $1.5k), but obviously the increased longevity of CCB doesn稚 make it an apples to apples comparison.
lowlight likes this.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapdoor View Post
For just a couple events a year wouldn't the CCB setup be just fine? The Driving instructor who is out every weekend would be much harder on the brakes than someone out just a few times.
Yeah, that’s a fine point, and I’ve been trying to research that angle too. In my situation, I might be just fine running CCBs everywhere...this obviously would be my first experience with a CCB car, so I’m trying to make a well informed decision on whatever I decide to do.

Last edited by Callabrator; 12-25-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in