Steel Rotors for CCB Car? - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
 48Likes

post #51 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitex View Post
IMO, CCB's are awesome on this car. No dead spot, fairly linear. My old 570s was terrible compared to the CCB on this car. Why step backwards unless doing serious track work and cost becomes an issue?

Also, it looks like this car uses exact same brakes as Ferrari California. Same size rotors and calipers. They look identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting seeing another QV with dark tecnico and CCB rotors. We have same set up but it is because the selling dealership swapped out the 5 hole that were specked with the car for Tecnico. Starting at some point in 2017 you could not build that combination anymore. No reason given. The only issue I can see is I got a rock stuck between the caliper and the wheel and the rock stayed in place long enough to put a few full circles of scratches into the wheel before it fell off. I do like the looks of the big rotors but I am always questioning why they won’t build that combo. Wheel getting repaired today so I will show before and after photos

Glad to hear they are coming out with some options
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:39 PM

Ok almost there with the conversion kit. We are currently working with Girodisc finalizing the project. My car is getting the prototypes and we are working through a few issues with the back brakes now.
I think my car will be ready by next weekend and there’s a Time Attack track event so it will be a good test for them.
Brake pads will be about $400 instead of $1300 and I believe they will even last longer because the CCB rotors turn into cheese graders as you start to wear sets of pads through them.
When it’s all finished and I’ve tested them out I’ll repost. I’m expecting the super breaking ability to be somewhat diminished. I just hope I remember that out on the track coming into turn 2,at 150mph! Lol
lowlight likes this.

la meccanica delle emozioni
post #53 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call me Al View Post
You called it. CCB brakes are awesome except they wear tapered a bit and parts are very expensive @$1,300 set for either front or rear brakes and only 2 to 4 track days per set front double that rear.
New CCB rotors are about $5,500 a set. Not bad for CCB but still a lot and you only get about 8-10 sets of brake pads before you need new ones.
That’s track driving. Street driving you get like 80,000 miles out of the set a pads!!!
By switching to steels you should be able to save about 60% but you’ll be changing pads more often.

I get it but why do serious track days with this car? If tracking a lot then I would choose a different car where consumables will be a lot less. I'd imagine people having bit of fun at the track which CCB's are just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because passing two-door, two-seater sports cars in your four-door, five-seater sedan is just too much fun!!
Actually if you’re serious tracker you know that you need a spare car if you don’t want to miss out on a big part of the season due to some unexpected problems or wreck with your primary track car. Sh!t happens!
My primary track car is a highly modified 4C. Really going out on it this year with some power mods and it should be ready May 1 and be so awesome!
John_K_348 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:11 PM

They’re here! Big steel brake conversion rotors and pads showed up. My these 15.4 inch steel rotors are big.
Have not weighed them yet to compare them to the weight of the carbon rotors but I will later. Going to try to make up part of the difference with lightweight wheels.
These are racing rotors and racing brake pads I’m not sure how good they’ll be for a lot of street driving but I’m told it won’t be too bad.
I’m also told that these brake pads are excellent and have better initial bite and will last a really long time. Just look at the metal in the compound!
This mod might just make this car an affordable very fast track monster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4DA1D380-318C-4B33-90D9-BD5A7D42B572_1555366088336.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	85736   Click image for larger version

Name:	1471229E-73AA-4995-BF3B-1E4FCDFCD9D7_1555366128681.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	85738   Click image for larger version

Name:	BC81270A-6FFB-40F3-99E3-162F5CFAB556_1555366184054.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	85740   Click image for larger version

Name:	0C8D9190-39F1-49A7-8264-435265DD7384_1555366221147.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	85742   Click image for larger version

Name:	E21B3462-61C4-43F4-923D-AA96C132E671_1555366262823.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	85744  

lost1750GTV and lowlight like this.

post #55 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
They’re here! Big steel brake conversion rotors and pads showed up. My these 15.4 inch steel rotors are big.
Have not weighed them yet to compare them to the weight of the carbon rotors but I will later. Going to try to make up part of the difference with lightweight wheels.
These are racing rotors and racing brake pads I’m not sure how good they’ll be for a lot of street driving but I’m told it won’t be too bad.
I’m also told that these brake pads are excellent and have better initial bite and will last a really long time. Just look at the metal in the compound!
So you are leaving the calipers and swapping out rotors & pads?

I was wondering about doing the opposite on the front end of my QV bc it has the same size rotors as the CCB rears on the QV.

2017 Giulia Quadrifoglio (Alfa Rosso)
post #56 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAlphaQV View Post
Quote:
So you are leaving the calipers and swapping out rotors & pads?

I was wondering about doing the opposite on the front end of my QV bc it has the same size rotors as the CCB rears on the QV.
Depends on what your goal is and how much engineering you want to do yourself. Changing the calipers sounds pretty dicey to me with brake bias and ABS being designed a certain way with certain calipers.
Just changing the rotors and pads is what most conversion kits are. All of the Porsche people do it that way. Girodisc is a well-established company with great products. I trust them to do my engineering mod work.
My motivation was occasionally tracking with this car was super expensive with the brake consumables. The brake quality was very good and they didn’t overheat much it was just too expensive and you have to change the pads every two or three days as they didn’t last long.

I’m really excited about this conversion because the rotors are racing rotors, are somewhat lightweight, slotted and durable. And the Raybestos ST43 brake compound is well tested and known in the racing community.
Here is a vendor description:
Raybestos ST-43 are our favorite intermediate track pad. Very aggressive pad, yet easy on the rotors. They are down slightly on overall friction and initial bite from the most aggressive offerings, with the flipside being lower running temps and increased component life. Make no mistake, these pads are the real deal. We have customers running them in Ferrari Challenge cars, Evo's, STi's, Vipers, Corvettes and more. If you rely on ABS, these pads will be more forgiving with their initial bite. When you read the factory literature for these pads, they downplay them a bit as being not very aggressive. When you consider these are developed for Nascar (read heavy, high-horsepower, lots of tire and downforce), "Intermediate" means "Full Boogie" in a 350-400hp amateur driven sports cars. These have been tested by countless customers and given the universal thumbs up for overall performance and satisfaction. Run what the winners run!
lowlight likes this.

Last edited by Call me Al; 04-15-2019 at 08:50 PM.
post #57 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Depends on what your goal is and how much engineering you want to do yourself. Changing the calipers sounds pretty dicey to me with brake bias and ABS being designed a certain way with certain calipers.
Just changing the rotors and pads is what most conversion kits are. All of the Porsche people do it that way. Girodisc is a well-established company with great products. I trust them to do my engineering mod work.
My motivation was tracking with this car occasionally was super expensive with brakes. The brake quality was very good and they didn’t overheat much it was just expensive and you have to change the pads every two or three days so they didn’t last long.

I’m really excited about this conversion because the rotors are racing rotors are somewhat lightweight, slotted and durable. And the Raybestos ST43 brake compound is well tested and known in the racing community.
Here is a vendor description:
Raybestos ST-43 are our favorite intermediate track pad. Very aggressive pad, yet easy on the rotors. They are down slightly on overall friction and initial bite from the most aggressive offerings, with the flipside being lower running temps and increased component life. Make no mistake, these pads are the real deal. We have customers running them in Ferrari Challenge cars, Evo's, STi's, Vipers, Corvettes and more. If you rely on ABS, these pads will be more forgiving with their initial bite. When you read the factory literature for these pads, they downplay them a bit as being not very aggressive. When you consider these are developed for Nascar (read heavy, high-horsepower, lots of tire and downforce), "Intermediate" means "Full Boogie" in a 350-400hp amateur driven sports cars. These have been tested by countless customers and given the universal thumbs up for overall performance and satisfaction. Run what the winners run!
Do you know since we have a BBW systems if Brembo specially calibrated the braking force differently for Iron vs CCB?
That would be my biggest concern and whether is could run CCB in front and keep the iron rotors in the rear.

2017 Giulia Quadrifoglio (Alfa Rosso)
post #58 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:21 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBAlphaQV View Post
Do you know since we have a BBW systems if Brembo specially calibrated the braking force differently for Iron vs CCB?
That would be my biggest concern and whether is could run CCB in front and keep the iron rotors in the rear.
If you are converting, you will need to run the iron rotors both in front and in back to make this work.
The calipers and pad shapes on the CCB cars and iron cars are different.

Basically, with the different heat up temps and times of carbon vs. steel - if you chose to run a mix of CCB and iron, you'd be creating a system that doesn't work nearly as effectively as either a stock CCB, or stock iron system.

I talked about this with the tech's at Giro-Disc and they concur, strongly recommending to do them both at once. In fact when we bring them to market they might be sold as full sets only because of this, we'll see.

Stay tuned, we will have the production version of these Giro-Discs up on alfa9supply.com when they are ready.
In the meantime let me know any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
lowlight and LBAlphaQV like this.

----------
Modern and Classic Alfa Parts •
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out the latest on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #59 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:53 PM

More progress on the prototype CCB to steel brakes.
Got the weight difference and it’s about what I expected. Steel rotors are weighing about twice as much as CCB rotors.
Carbon rotors converted to steel rotor weight difference for each rotor:
front 13lbs vs steel 25.2 lbs.
rear: carbon 9.2lbs vs 19.6lbs steel

But I am expecting superior braking and more initial bite. My brakes may be heavier but so will my wallet!
And I can make up about half of the difference with my Tecnico forged wheels.

Very happy with my Race shop:
Advanced Auto Fab who are Girodisc authorized sellers of their products.
http://advancedautofab.com/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3C8498EC-ECDD-4472-A077-5C54402267FA_1555462336441.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	85768   Click image for larger version

Name:	D3C27FD6-C428-4CFF-B08D-74E7D6449A75_1555462370329.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	85770   Click image for larger version

Name:	09160828-1A3D-4751-BEEB-8DEE5ADA1F73_1555462390235.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	85772  
Macca and lowlight like this.

Last edited by Call me Al; 04-16-2019 at 10:06 PM.
post #60 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:37 PM

Finished! The first CCB brake to steel brake conversion done!
Just look at the size of those slotted steel rotors! They look massive at 15.4”. And look how big the brake pads are too.
Initial bite is amazing.
I’ll take it to the track in about a week. That will be the real test.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7F98C2C5-DDD1-4AB1-B6F7-105CCEEF6980_1555716960409.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	85904   Click image for larger version

Name:	F549B7E4-76E4-4E8F-BF2A-C10CE8670380_1555716984050.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	85906   Click image for larger version

Name:	900167C5-7322-4E32-97DE-6AD482956687_1555717006077.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	85908  
lost1750GTV and stocki like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page