Steel Rotors for CCB Car? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
 48Likes

post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 07:52 PM

My Giulia QV has CCB and Iíve tracked it quite a bit. And I have a friend with Giulia QV who has the steel rotors. Itís a big deal for us because it gets quite expensive as you already know.

This is what we have found:
CCBs pads lasts at least twice as long but are over twice as expensive for pads. But the CCB rotors themselves seem to hold up quite well. We have measured how much a set of pads wears the rotors and we are guessing six maybe seven sets of pads before new rotors needed. FYI you actually clean them up and weigh them to know when they are worn out. Each rotor has a minimum weight stamp on it.

If you want to drive your car extremely hard CCB is far superior. You can brake later and harder with CCB and they donít overheat as easily. But donít think you canít overheat them as you can. I have and the pads turn to mush if you keep going. And I actually cooked my rear pads changing the molecular structure it seems because they started squeaking in street driving only being about half worn down.

Maybe important with CCB you donít have to take the time or pay to have the pads changed as often. This can be important depending on how hard you drive your car. If you absolutely push your brakes as hard as you can at the track you can wear out a set of CCB front brake pads in 2 days, possibly 1 if a madman. With steels you might not even get one day which is what happened to my friend who had a professional racer drive his car that one day. So it could be a hassle that would be to have to change your pads that quick. I myself have driven my car extremely hard once or twice but it was so expensive I found that if I take it easy on the brakes they last 2-3 times longer but the car is still fast on the track. FYI with a great driver and driving extremely hard the Giulia QV can keep up with GT3s which is quite impressive. My friend is convinced that the CCB version is the way to go and I agree.

Things to keep the cost down:
Flip the front brake pads at least once. The pads are identical. The car wears the inner pads much more. Also the lower part of the pad wears more than the top. So there is a real taper issue. Flipping the pads around alone can make them last about 35 percent longer and also the same percentage money. And itís an easy thing to do that you can do yourself.
Like I already mentioned just take it easy on brakes a bit.
Put lowering springs on, makes a huge difference in tire and brake wear plus far superior handling. I have the new Eibach springs.

Shop around dealerships to get good pricing you can get the pads cheaper from some.
Iím getting pricing like this
Pads:
List $1,600 Ft 1200
List $1,500 Rear 1200
Rotors:
ft rotor set $4800
rear rotor set $4200

This winter Iím designing some front brake cooling mod for the Giulia QV. Probably some plastic 3-D designed scoops that will push air into a hole we will put in the backing plate of the front brakes. Should make a big difference.

Hopefully in the future there will be aftermarket pads that will make a big difference too. Just be glad you donít have a Lambo thatís 20k each brake job.
lowlight likes this.

la meccanica delle emozioni

Last edited by Call me Al; 12-25-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 08:42 AM

CCB's are going to last months not days with track use. I've tracked and owned 458's, GT3RS, Huracan, Mac 570 and no issues. You can normally get tons of track days easy on CCB. On steel you could go through them in a few sessions (again depending upon use and track configuration).

IF you are using QUAD as a primary track car (of which I know no one doing--we have other 2 door toys to play with on track), then get CCB's.

Don't track cars if you are scared of spending money. It's the best way to part with your money, but you know that going in and I always consider it cost of entertainment.

For the once or twice a year track day kinda guy that is going to take this out, steel is fine.
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXQUAD View Post
CCB's are going to last months not days with track use. I've tracked and owned 458's, GT3RS, Huracan, Mac 570 and no issues. You can normally get tons of track days easy on CCB. On steel you could go through them in a few sessions (again depending upon use and track configuration).

IF you are using QUAD as a primary track car (of which I know no one doing--we have other 2 door toys to play with on track), then get CCB's.

Don't track cars if you are scared of spending money. It's the best way to part with your money, but you know that going in and I always consider it cost of entertainment.

For the once or twice a year track day kinda guy that is going to take this out, steel is fine.
My Giulia QV (Quad as you call it) is my back up track car or if I just want to go to my local track and have fun passing fast 2 door cars with good drivers in a four-door sedan and blowing their mind. My main track car is a highly modded 4C.

Sorry donít agree with you it all on how long the CCB will last and I speak from experience ( and expense!). I own a 2017 QV and I have replaced my front brake pads 2 times now and rears once.

It all depends on how hard you drive the car how late are you brake. A waxer (not saying you are) can own a CCB equipted car and get 100,000 miles out of the front pads. A professional race driver ( not me) will wear in one long track day.

I totally agree with you that steel is just fine for people track only a few times a year. And even more if you just donít drive and brake real hard. Tracking can be quite fun without going crazy fast as the car can go and it certainly is a lot less expensive.

I also totally agree with you that no one should track a car unless ready to spend the money to do it safely. I donít think being scared has much to do with it more itís just some people try to be cheap and drive on tires and brake pads that should be replaced. They are usually the ones that go off course when their brakes overcook and then they never come back because they realize how expensive tracking is.

I track quite a bit and thatís why I love tracking with the 4C as this lightweight car is 1/3 the cost to track versus my Giulia QV and faster. I have own a lot of sports cars and I tracked a lot of cars. Yes some brake designs are a bit more efficient and parts less expensive than others but Itís all about the weight yo and doesnít matter what make of car you are driving.

You were talking about entertainment value I canít think anything more fun than passing 2 door sports cars in a sedan. In my Giulia Iíve blown up Porsche Turbo S, GT3 etc. And after the session the drivers come up to me thinking Iím the best driver in the world (whereas Iím certainly not) itís just that Iím a good driver and much better than they are and my car is as **** fast as there car is.

Here is a video passing Porsches before I lowered my Giulia.
https://youtu.be/CcIObWR01rc
lowlight and JerryNY like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 12:35 PM

I wasn't referring to AF CCB wear--just the other brands I've owned and tracked. Enjoy and take care.
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 12:47 PM
Vml

Going back to the original question, I donít think anyone is doing cast iron rotors for the ccb brakes but watch Girodisc www.girodisc.com because they do that for Porsche cars and also do lightweight rotors for the 4C.
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 08:53 PM

I'd take a chance on how long the CC would last IF I knew I could get a reasonable cost replacement in the event they didn't make economic sense in normal use.
perhaps cast iron will be available when the CC's start wearing out.
post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost1750GTV View Post
I'd take a chance on how long the CC would last IF I knew I could get a reasonable cost replacement in the event they didn't make economic sense in normal use.
perhaps cast iron will be available when the CC's start wearing out.
For most all drivers the CCB front brake pads will last about 70,000 to 90,000 miles. Rear pads double that. And both without brake dust and with superior stopping power. And the brake rotors you would never have to replace for wear. You have a much greater chance of having to replace them because someone put on a wheel on wrong dropping it on the rotor and chipping it and damaging them.

Only when you track extremely hard does it put exponential wear on everything. But thatís how you go real fast at the track.

post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 06:05 PM

Al, those are reassuring guesstimates for street wear, because I would rather pick up a Stelvio Q with expensive rotors when they arrive than wait another 5 months.

still a guesstimate though.
I burned enough money racing (and bikes are way cheaper than cars) and got to go plenty fast, so don't plan on getting hooked again and going through rehab all over.
post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 06:08 PM

alfausa puts this up - which Christmas are they referring to?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdIRIb0l...y=alfaromeousa
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Girodisc is interested...

I got an email back from Girodisc expressing that they're "very interested" in producing a cast iron conversion for the giulia. To get that ball rolling, they'd need to borrow some CC rotors to take measurements and a commitment from at least 5 buyers. I ended up buying the CCB car I was looking at, so after a track day or 2 this year I'll have a look at the wear and see if this is necessary.
Carbon likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page